The Student Room Group

SQE or LPC

Hi everyone,

I'm currently deciding whether to complete the LPC or SQE in September. I have recently graduated with a high 2:1 (68%) and I am now working as a legal assistant at a high street firm.

My problem is that I could potentially work part-time at the firm and do the sqe or lpc part-time as then I would get the best of both worlds. But I'm not sure whether to go for the lpc or sqe?
I would say go for the LPC! A lot of firms i've looked at are not currently accepting SQE students only LPC - i think they are more familiar with the process. I would also say the fact that this will be the first year of SQE would put me off it too, i would wait for it to roll out for a couple of years and become established. I am currently doing the LPC because i did not want to wait and end up doing the SQE - however if the firms you are looking at accept the SQE go for it!
Original post by sof6654
Hi everyone,

I'm currently deciding whether to complete the LPC or SQE in September. I have recently graduated with a high 2:1 (68%) and I am now working as a legal assistant at a high street firm.

My problem is that I could potentially work part-time at the firm and do the sqe or lpc part-time as then I would get the best of both worlds. But I'm not sure whether to go for the lpc or sqe?

I personally think you'd be better off doing SQE in September.

It's in 2 stages, so somewhat makes it a tad easier.

It seems cheaper than LPC course.

Most importantly, as you are already working as a legal assistant, from what I read about 'Qualifying Work Experience' on SRA website, my understanding is that your work experience will count towards qualifying as a solicitor.
Since stage one part time takes no more than 26 weeks, you might be able to carry on working full time while preparing for SQE part-time.

Although you will be free to apply for training contracts after completing the exams, I think knowing that you have an alternate way to qualify (with your current work experience), will take the pressure off.

This is what the SRA says with regards to SQE route:

'All candidates looking to qualify through the SQE route will need to complete two years' full-time (or equivalent) qualifying work experience after September 2021.

What is qualifying work experience?

QWE can be gained in one block of time or in stages, so long as it is in no more than four organisations. It can be paid or volunteer work and could include time spent:

on placement during a law degree
working in a law clinic
at a voluntary or charitable organisation such Citizen Advice or a law centre
working as a paralegal
on a training contract.
Candidates can gain experience before, during or after they sit the SQE assessments. They could even start gaining the necessary experience now and 'banking' it for when SQE comes in on 1 September 2021. There are also no time limits on when someone can claim experience as QWE.'

Whatever you decide, all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending