How do you really get an A* in biology ?

Watch this thread
Justscrolling123
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’ve spoken to people before about how they get good grades and they never tell me.
I obviously revise because I want to do good but I feel like there’s soemthing that just sets me apart from the A* students.
I have a part time job as well and find myself sometimes just unmotivated.

What are the tricks or tips that you would give someone I am in yr 12 going to yr 13, how do I make the most of my summer in terms of revision.
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hey! Year 13 here, I am aiming for an A but the way of getting an A* is the same as an A. Before you go into year 13 content make sure you know the year 12 stuff like the back of your hand bevause year 13 is not only content heavy but some of the ideas and concepts are HARD. Literally the best thing you can do is past papers constantly, learn those markschemes because they will always ask similar things. The marking points are often the same you just need to know how to apply them to a relevant stem and specific question- eg for enzymes there is always a mark for talking about hydrogens bonds/ disulphide/ weak ionic bonds and how that effects tertiary structure and therefore enzyme substrate complexes formed. The biggest mistake I made going into year 13 was not being solid on my year 12 stuff because I was then trying to learn and understand year 13 stuff and also revise year 12 basic content. X
Justscrolling123
Rep:
(Original post by Wannabevet133)
Hey! Year 13 here, I am aiming for an A but the way of getting an A* is the same as an A. Before you go into year 13 content make sure you know the year 12 stuff like the back of your hand bevause year 13 is not only content heavy but some of the ideas and concepts are HARD. Literally the best thing you can do is past papers constantly, learn those markschemes because they will always ask similar things. The marking points are often the same you just need to know how to apply them to a relevant stem and specific question- eg for enzymes there is always a mark for talking about hydrogens bonds/ disulphide/ weak ionic bonds and how that effects tertiary structure and therefore enzyme substrate complexes formed. The biggest mistake I made going into year 13 was not being solid on my year 12 stuff because I was then trying to learn and understand year 13 stuff and also revise year 12 basic content. X
Okay thank you. Also did you do Aqa?
Vetofferholder1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Justscrolling123)
Okay thank you. Also did you do Aqa?
Yes I did!
Justscrolling123
Rep:
(Original post by Wannabevet133)
Yes I did!
How did you revise for the essay questions ? If u don’t mind me ask song
Vetofferholder1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Justscrolling123)
How did you revise for the essay questions ? If u don’t mind me ask song
The essay was the hardest thing and you will struggle only being in year 12 as the essay relies on you have a solid foundation of knowledge about the entire course (plus to gain top marks a bit outside the course). I found that mind mapping every single question ever come up (they tend to reuse questions) helped me learn key points then I would write the essay and get my teacher to mark it and repeat the process. Again you will only get it by revising the content then practising the structure- it’s negatively marked which is the worst thing so your marks get capped if you say something incorrect hence knowledge is so important!
qwerty098765432
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Got an A* in A Level Biology in 2018. Here are my tips:

1. Learn what to do with each command words (e.g. explain, discuss, comment on, analyse...). Don't 'analyse' in an 'explain' question!
2. Make sure you at least understand everything in the course. I printed out the specification and used it as a checklist and this helped guide me through the course.
3. Attempt the past papers, but force yourself to write as concisely as possible because it is good practice! You don't get much time in the exam, and people end up 'waffling' and losing focus in their answers.
4. For my specification we had a limited number of experiments we had to learn, and there was always one 'devise an experiment' question. I made model answers for each experiment under CORMS (Change, Organism, Repeats, Measurement, Same).
5. I found making flowcharts for sequential processes (like atherosclerosis, eutrophication, breathing, mitosis) to be very helpful
6. It's a good idea to test your knowledge regularly. Search 'Active Recall' up on YouTube. I think it is the best long-term revision strategy for a subject like Biology.
7. Don't be too alarmed if you get a bad grade in mocks or past papers. I started off getting C/D grades in my assessments and ended up pushing it up to my final grade through hard work
Last edited by qwerty098765432; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (14)
31.11%
Take a gap year (10)
22.22%
Resit my exams (8)
17.78%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (6)
13.33%
I don't know yet (4)
8.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
6.67%

Watched Threads