marz_21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, so I know that you guys come across dozens if not hundreds of posts regarding to students asking if their igcse grades are ‘good enough for Oxbridge’ and whatnot but I have a question somewhat (okay greatly) relating to that in terms of my own grades. So I’m in a bit of a pickle myself as I’d love to go to Oxford but knowing my igcse grades, I think I’d stand more of a chance of getting into Cambridge which mainly looks at Alevel results. And since you can only apply to either one of the unis I’m not sure if I should apply for Cambridge, which I could more easily get into (still would be hard obviously) or Oxford, which would be a bit more difficult. The reason I’m not too confident about my Oxford application is because, firstly, my igcse grades include A*A*A*A*AAAAAB, with the B being in maths. I know that they look at English and maths grades greatly, but I got top in my country for English as a second language so I’m wondering if that could boost my application enough for Oxford to consider me or if I should just throw my hopes away and apply to a school that focuses less on igcses. I know my grades are good, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not sure if they’re ‘Oxbridge good’ you know. (My AS level grades and predicted grades are good enough to apply though. But my main focus now is wether or not my igcse grades make me not competitive enough to apply to a school that focuses on igcses a lot).
RM_Asclepius
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by marz_21)
Hi, so I know that you guys come across dozens if not hundreds of posts regarding to students asking if their igcse grades are ‘good enough for Oxbridge’ and whatnot but I have a question somewhat (okay greatly) relating to that in terms of my own grades. So I’m in a bit of a pickle myself as I’d love to go to Oxford but knowing my igcse grades, I think I’d stand more of a chance of getting into Cambridge which mainly looks at Alevel results. And since you can only apply to either one of the unis I’m not sure if I should apply for Cambridge, which I could more easily get into (still would be hard obviously) or Oxford, which would be a bit more difficult. The reason I’m not too confident about my Oxford application is because, firstly, my igcse grades include A*A*A*A*AAAAAB, with the B being in maths. I know that they look at English and maths grades greatly, but I got top in my country for English as a second language so I’m wondering if that could boost my application enough for Oxford to consider me or if I should just throw my hopes away and apply to a school that focuses less on igcses. I know my grades are good, don’t get me wrong. I’m just not sure if they’re ‘Oxbridge good’ you know. (My AS level grades and predicted grades are good enough to apply though. But my main focus now is wether or not my igcse grades make me not competitive enough to apply to a school that focuses on igcses a lot).
You are right to assume that you have a much better chance at Cambridge. Whether you want to apply to a university based on statistics is up to you though.
cleveranimal56
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would go for Cambridge, Oxford would like to have more of those As as A stars, but for Cambridge your GCSEs look perfectly fine. As long as you do well in your A levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads