gibsh
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Need help with a chemistry question urgently
DOOODARS
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
I might be able to help? Just finished year 13. What’s the question on?
gibsh
Rep:
its is question 1e
Attached files
akshar96
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gibsh)
its is question 1e
It has greater rate of filtration (faster) and gives a purer product because the solvent is drawn into the flask with vaccum.
gibsh
Rep:
I meant the question above
Attached files
akshar96
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gibsh)
I meant the question above
It will give you the corresponding NH4Cl salt (solid)
gibsh
Rep:
(Original post by akshar96)
It will give you the corresponding NH4Cl salt (solid)
isnt the equation c5h11n +hcl arrow C8H12NCl?
akshar96
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Name:  BE8527FA-549C-4AE1-BB08-32492D11E2A7.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  50.8 KB

(Original post by gibsh)
isnt the equation c5h11n +hcl arrow C8H12NCl?
gibsh
Rep:
(Original post by akshar96)
Name:  BE8527FA-549C-4AE1-BB08-32492D11E2A7.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  50.8 KB
so what should i put for my equation?
By the way i tought phemols only reacted with Naoh
akshar96
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gibsh)
so what should i put for my equation?
By the way i tought phemols only reacted with Naoh
That’s the equation thats asked, right? Reaction of 2,3dimethyl aniline with HCl. It will make a salt(solid) that is water soluble. And since phenols are not so soluble in aqueous medium they will stay back when a work-up is performed
gibsh
Rep:
what about part lll, how would we obtain 2,3-dimethylamine from the product ?
akshar96
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gibsh)
what about part lll, how would we obtain 2,3-dimethylamine from the product ?
Name:  EB39EC8F-82FC-40D1-A726-3C883A4000ED.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  58.5 KB

React with a base(NaOH)
gibsh
Rep:
wouldnt you react it with react it with na2co3 to get rid of the impurities and then do redistillation ?
Last edited by gibsh; 5 months ago
akshar96
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by gibsh)
wouldnt you react it with react it with na2co3 to get rid of the impurities and then do redistillation ?
yeah sure, i just just the simplest and the first base that came to my head, so i guess Na2CO3 would work too
akshar96
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
just try and understand whats the idea behind the questions- aniline being insoluble and the salt being soluble. So just knowing that is good enough i think, even if you write [Base] instead of a specific one, still works afaik
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.85%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
28.02%
No (54)
26.09%
I'm not sure (27)
13.04%

Watched Threads