Emi8000
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello, I am currently choosing my A Levels with hope to go on to study medicine in the future. I don't know where I will apply but am thinking of Cambridge and UCL

Which of the following combos would be best?
a) Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics
b) Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish
c) Biology, Chemsitry, Maths and English Literature
d) Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology

I am predicted grade 8/9 in all of my GCSE subjects.
musicalmedic3
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Personally, I'd go for b) or c). They'll give you a bit of variation over the next two years to keep you sane, but the best thing is medical schools will love that you have something different. I did History, Bio, and Chem and I had so much to talk about at interviews about how my skills in critical thinking, essay writing, etc have improved through taking history. It also shows unis who are looking at you're application that you're not just a science person but that you excel in many different avenues (since medicine involves so many different skills). Side note, I understand that you might want to challenge yourself by doing 4 A-levels and you might not be able to decide 3, but med schools only look at 3 of them and it's a LOT more hard work which might be detrimental to your other subjects in the long run- are you definitely sure that taking 4 A-levels is the right thing for you?
thatethanb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would say A. all of them are science/maths. I do biology, chemistry and psychology and psychology doesn't work well with the other two with it being more essay based.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doing 4 A-levels is a waste of time so I'd do Biology, Chemistry, Maths as Cambridge requires 3 science/maths A-levels.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thatethanb)
I would say A. all of them are science/maths. I do biology, chemistry and psychology and psychology doesn't work well with the other two with it being more essay based.
But thats also the 4 hardest A-levels at once
xOutcast
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hihi,
For medicine, you have the three you need: Bio, chem, and maths. The fourth, should you want to do a fourth, is honestly up to you. It will hardly affect any application (supposing you do well in it and your other three), and so considering it is your fourth, I recommend doing the one you both enjoy and will do well in! Of course, this is my opinion :P
There is of course the argument to do just three instead of four, but more A Levels = more learning + more fun, right! (or so says the nerd...) but it's better to do well in the main three as opposed to do four okay.
Last edited by xOutcast; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a big section of TSR about Applying for Medicine - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads