The Student Room Group

Dynamics help

With this question, why is R equal to 10cos30 + 12sin30 instead of R + 12sin30 = 10cos 30 because in the past I have come across a question which used the second principal
(edited 2 years ago)
Because 12N is going towards the plane.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Because 12N is going towards the plane.

Could you further explain that please? Also is the second principle that I mentioned valid for some certain cases
Original post by Lina_Amiour
Could you further explain that please? Also is the second principle that I mentioned valid for some certain cases

Your second case mainly applies when the object is being pulled up a plane, so when resolving, using SOHCAHTOA, the opposite will be the same direction as R. So north west.
So as per the mark scheme: R+12sin30=12cos30

But since you have this force keeping this block in equilibrium, when resolving, the force that is opposite will go towards the opposite direction of R as it’s going towards the plane.
As per the mark scheme: R= 12cos30+12sin30

this video explains it better than me
o

Original post by CaptainDuckie
Your second case mainly applies when the object is being pulled up a plane, so when resolving, using SOHCAHTOA, the opposite will be the same direction as R. So north west.
So as per the mark scheme: R+12sin30=12cos30

But since you have this force keeping this block in equilibrium, when resolving, the force that is opposite will go towards the opposite direction of R as it’s going towards the plane.
As per the mark scheme: R= 12cos30+12sin30

this video explains it better than me

ok, thank you ever so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest