Tetr4s
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been certain I wanted to do children’s nursing for a good 3-ish years but now I’m torn and considering adult nursing. With how competitive children’s nursing is I’m worried I won’t have enough work experience- I’ve done around four virtual work experience courses but only have one irl one lined up (two weeks volunteering at a summer camp for children with learning disabilities.) Not only might this not be enough work experience, but I’m also aware I don’t have much experience to gauge my decision from and I’m worried I’ll regret choosing children’s nursing as although it sounds more rewarding, I never really seem to ‘click’ with children, I find it much easier to have conversations with people my age and adults.

I’d be really grateful if anyone could give me advice, or even better if someone who is on either course or currently practising as either type of nurse is able to give pros/cons they’ve come across.
Tetr4s
Rep:
?
Also, does anyone know what opportunities there are to convert from adult to children’s nursing or if adult nurses still get to work with children on occasion (e.g. in A&E?)
germymartin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can even do placements on neonatal units in the hospital when studying adult nursing, which you wouldn't assume at first, there is a broad spectrum of opportunities regarding these things. You can also do an 18 month top up course, after an adult nursing degree, to convert to childrens nursing. Same goes to mental health nursing, learning disability nursing, and midwifery (18 month course options). Also like you mentioned, even if you didn't convert courses, you could be working around children dependant on your ward, in A&E you will likely be in contact with children.
Hope this helped a bit?
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by germymartin)
You can even do placements on neonatal units in the hospital when studying adult nursing, which you wouldn't assume at first, there is a broad spectrum of opportunities regarding these things. You can also do an 18 month top up course, after an adult nursing degree, to convert to childrens nursing. Same goes to mental health nursing, learning disability nursing, and midwifery (18 month course options). Also like you mentioned, even if you didn't convert courses, you could be working around children dependant on your ward, in A&E you will likely be in contact with children.
Hope this helped a bit?
Everything you basically said is fine except what I added below.

Most hospitals trust ask for relevant experience in neonatal first but some will in time offer them opportunity in doing a one year course for it which is done mostly within the ward.

Also majority of trusts / universities are phrasing out the 18 months shortened top-up midwifery course as part of NMC regulations. As I would make sure that if they going down the adult nursing route first then onto the top-up course that the university are offering it in next four to five years say as if not then would be best to do midwifing from start or else you'll be going back to university for 3 years again.

You not gaunantee getting a placement on neonatal wards as adult nurse as depends on what placement they send you to.

Some information from NHS website on neonatal nursing ok

Name:  Screenshot_2021-05-27-21-38-46.png
Views: 22
Size:  251.6 KB
Tetr4s
Rep:
?
(Original post by germymartin)
Hope this helped a bit?
Thats really helpful, thank you!
Tetr4s
Rep:
?
Everything you basically said is fine except what I added below.

Most hospitals trust ask for relevant experience in neonatal first but some will in time offer them opportunity in doing a one year course for it which is done mostly within the ward.

Also majority of trusts / universities are phrasing out the 18 months shortened top-up midwifery course as part of NMC regulations. As I would make sure that if they going down the adult nursing route first then onto the top-up course that the university are offering it in next four to five years say as if not then would be best to do midwifing from start or else you'll be going back to university for 3 years again.

You not gaunantee getting a placement on neonatal wards as adult nurse as depends on what placement they send you to.

Some information from NHS website on neonatal nursing ok

Thanks for the help 🙃
Becky2305
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tetr4s)
I’ve been certain I wanted to do children’s nursing for a good 3-ish years but now I’m torn and considering adult nursing. With how competitive children’s nursing is I’m worried I won’t have enough work experience- I’ve done around four virtual work experience courses but only have one irl one lined up (two weeks volunteering at a summer camp for children with learning disabilities.) Not only might this not be enough work experience, but I’m also aware I don’t have much experience to gauge my decision from and I’m worried I’ll regret choosing children’s nursing as although it sounds more rewarding, I never really seem to ‘click’ with children, I find it much easier to have conversations with people my age and adults.

I’d be really grateful if anyone could give me advice, or even better if someone who is on either course or currently practising as either type of nurse is able to give pros/cons they’ve come across.
Just to contribute; uni's are aware it's been harder to get work experience this year and the last because of COVID. I got an unconditional for Adult Nursing with no formal work experience in healthcare other than volunteering as a vaccination marshal at my local hospital. Obviously it's good to have it, but don't fret about it excessively!

One bit of advice I could give though if you really want some work experience, Clarks shoes often look for summer temps to work between June- End of September that will do kids shoe fitting. This could be a good summer job to get some experience working/communicating with children!
Last edited by Becky2305; 1 month ago
Tetr4s
Rep:
?
(Original post by Becky2305)
Just to contribute; uni's are aware it's been harder to get work experience this year and the last because of COVID. I got an unconditional for Adult Nursing with no formal work experience in healthcare other than volunteering as a vaccination marshal at my local hospital. Obviously it's good to have it, but don't fret about it excessively!

One bit of advice I could give though if you really want some work experience, Clarks shoes often look for summer temps to work between June- End of September that will do kids shoe fitting. This could be a good summer job to get some experience working/communicating with children!
Thank you! I’ve been really stressed about work experience because I know it’s something unis look for so I’m glad to see you got an unconditional offer with limited work experience (congrats!!)

I have a Saturday job at a shop already so I’m hoping I can exaggerate the interactions with children to make that more applicable but thanks for the Clark’s recommendation!
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tetr4s)
Thank you! I’ve been really stressed about work experience because I know it’s something unis look for so I’m glad to see you got an unconditional offer with limited work experience (congrats!!)

I have a Saturday job at a shop already so I’m hoping I can exaggerate the interactions with children to make that more applicable but thanks for the Clark’s recommendation!
If you go down the adult route, you'll care for children if on a A&E placement. Other than that, you'll get only adult based placements. The only interaction I've had with children since qualifying as a nurse has been visitors - where the most interaction I've had is to remind the children's parents to either keep then out from under my feet (I still have a job to do, I'm not there to keep an eye on the kids) or take them outside when they get bored - and that's the same with every ward. That's nowhere near the same as children's nursing.

Try not to stress about work experience - many people in my cohort (I qualified in 2019) had little to no nursing/care related experience and can say the same for numerous students who have started since. It's all about showing transferable skills and a passion for that branch of nursing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads