The Student Room Group

Sussex Psychology Clearing

Hey!!
I applied to Sussex university for Psychology with a foundation year and really wanted to go, but was rejected because of my GCSE maths grade. Does anyone think it would be worth applying for the same course through clearing? my predicted A-Level grades meet the requirements for the course.
Thanks!!
Reply 1
Yes, I think it’s at least worth a try! If you get the A Level grade requirements then you obviously have the skill level, even if at GCSE you may not necessarily have done. It seems unfair that GCSEs should weigh people down. And you could consider retaking your GCSE maths this year/next year so that your options aren’t as limited and there’s a greater chance you get into the uni you favour!
Pointless.
GCSE requirements are about 'essential skills' and you don't have evidence of that.
Psyc is a science heavy subject and clearly Sussex know that those without a specific Maths grade struggle with the course.
If they have already rejected you because of this then then will not accept you in Clearing.
Original post by mememeow
Hey!!
I applied to Sussex university for Psychology with a foundation year and really wanted to go, but was rejected because of my GCSE maths grade. Does anyone think it would be worth applying for the same course through clearing? my predicted A-Level grades meet the requirements for the course.
Thanks!!

Hey @mememeow,

Thank you for your interest in applying for Sussex. I would definitely re-apply again for clearing!

I applied through UCAS Extra for Computing Science (with a Foundation Year) at Sussex with my GCSE mathematics grade being lower than the entry requirement (I obtained grade C when grade B was required) and managed to get in! There's no harm in applying again and I would definitely recommend reapplying.

Good luck!
If you have any other questions, please let me know :cute:

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Student)

Quick Reply

Latest