User69420
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Going to be a first year undergrad 2021.
Looking for accommodations on or close to campus - I will be spending most of my time at the Language Centre. Preferably on-suite and fun socially. I’m open to catered or self-catered. Thanks!
MaRad4
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User69420)
Going to be a first year undergrad 2021.
Looking for accommodations on or close to campus - I will be spending most of my time at the Language Centre. Preferably on-suite and fun socially. I’m open to catered or self-catered. Thanks!
Hi,

There are a lot of Leeds accommodation guides already on the student room so it may be worth looking at those.

That being said, you may be interested in Leodis, Central Village, and Cityside: there are all ensuite, close to campus (especially the language centre), and have good social atmospheres. All self-catered, Leodis being the cheapest and Cityside the most expensive.

If you want to know more (I lived in Leodis and spent a lot of time at Central Village) feel free to ask questions.
User69420
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MaRad4)
Hi,

There are a lot of Leeds accommodation guides already on the student room so it may be worth looking at those.

That being said, you may be interested in Leodis, Central Village, and Cityside: there are all ensuite, close to campus (especially the language centre), and have good social atmospheres. All self-catered, Leodis being the cheapest and Cityside the most expensive.

If you want to know more (I lived in Leodis and spent a lot of time at Central Village) feel free to ask questions.
Thanks for your reply! I’ve done quite a bit of research but didn’t hear much about those two so if you could let me know more that would be great.

How was Leodis socially? How was your experience there in general any pros and cons?
I hear central village is good and sociable is that right?
Cityside looks nice, again how is it socially?

Also I just wanted to ask about catering, originally I was only looking at catered but it was limiting my options - and people seem to have mixed opinions about it. My family recommend it but then all my friends say self is better (I’m on a gap year so a lot are at uni).
How is catering at Leeds? Is it worth it or better just self catered?

Also Charles Morris looks like a great self catered option (and possibly catered) but it’s got a strong rep for being a “snobby” “private school” place - is this just a joke or is it kind of true - are the people there generally not the kind of people who would give me the best vibes or social life? Would I be categorise in that way if I lived there and would it get in the way of meeting people? Do you know anyone who was in those halls?

Sorry for all the questions.
Cheers
Last edited by User69420; 1 month ago
MaRad4
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User69420)
Thanks for your reply! I’ve done quite a bit of research but didn’t hear much about those two so if you could let me know more that would be great.

How was Leodis socially? How was your experience there in general any pros and cons?
I hear central village is good and sociable is that right?
Cityside looks nice, again how is it socially?

Also I just wanted to ask about catering, originally I was only looking at catered but it was limiting my options - and people seem to have mixed opinions about it. My family recommend it but then all my friends say self is better (I’m on a gap year so a lot are at uni).
How is catering at Leeds? Is it worth it or better just self catered?

Also Charles Morris looks like a great self catered option (and possibly catered) but it’s got a strong rep for being a “snobby” “private school” place - is this just a joke or is it kind of true - are the people there generally not the kind of people who would give me the best vibes or social life? Would I be categorise in that way if I lived there and would it get in the way of meeting people? Do you know anyone who was in those halls?

Sorry for all the questions.
Cheers
Hey!

Leodis is very sociable, it is actually the largest halls at uni. There are 9 blocks (A to J excluding I), 7 floors in each block, 2 flats to a floor, and 6 people per flat. There are always people around and things going on, and it is nice and close to uni. I wouldn't say it is worth the cost necessarily, but very very few halls are. The ensuites are nice, you will find silverfish (bugs) in your flat but that is very common across accommodations. No real cons. I didn't get on great with my flat so that dampened my experience, but that is definitely a me problem.

Central Village... I really liked it but the reviews are mixed. Some people say it is very unsociable and dominated by international students, other say it is very social. Your experience depends on your block: block D is very modern and worth the money (in my opinion), whereas other blocks, eg block A, are old fashioned, dark, and cramped. Very different experiences. But yes, to me Central Village is sociable, nice, and very close to campus.

I can't really comment on CitySide as I have never been in it. I know it has a gym onsite but that's all I know. Sorry!

Also worth noting that Central Village and CitySide (and Charles Morris) are ALWAYS massively oversubscribed, so you may get put elsewhere such as Oxley, Liberty Dock, or Lupton, all of which are fair walks from uni. I think Lupton is actually a hidden gem (nice flats, friendly people, sociable, 30 min walk from uni but in a nice area), so to be put there could only be a good thing. The other two are nice when you are there, but 45 minute walks from uni which isn't great.

Most of my friends were self-catered, but a few were catered (eg, in Devonshire). If you have dietary restrictions such as allergies (or you may be vegetarian or vegan), self-catered may be better. To be fair, most people I know who were in catered regret it due to the extra cost, and the fact that they then had to adjust to cooking for themselves in second year, when they could have just made this transition in first year. Don't fully take my word for it, I have a limited sample. But, I think if you can get used to cooking for yourself in first year, that is a good thing and should be encouraged. Self-catered also gives you a lot more choice over what you eat.

One of my best friends was in Charles Morris and to be honest, he hated it. Everyone in his flat but him was from a private school and whilst that isn't necessarily bad, he felt left out and like he couldn't relate to them. The people in his flat were very very rich (like, had helicopters and multiple houses across the country and beyond) and looked down on him a little. He felt judged and didn't enjoy it and on top of that felt the halls themselves weren't worth the cost. At Leeds, there isn't a real point to living on campus as most people don't, so the campus isn't built for people living on it (limited shops). It is still nice, but less important than it may be at other unis.

Just to say, that if anyone tells you that halls can be categorised in any way (eg, James Baillie is druggy, Central Village is all international students, White Rose students are all rich), they are wrong. Yes, most people at Charles Morris and White Rose come from private schools, but not everyone. More international students are at Central Village and White Rose, but that doesn't mean anything. Everyones experience is different, and while if you go to Charles Morris people may assume you are privately educated, you wouldn't be the first to subvert expectations. Please don't trust the sweeping statements, go with what would be best for you.

You can find accommodation tours on youtube, and keep looking at the university website and other threads. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I get how nerve-wracking it can be. Also, if you want to message me specifics about your course, accommodation, concerns etc feel free! I'm a final year so can definitely help out, and remember the fresher anxieties.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise