Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What can you do about dry skin? Is there better soaps/shower gels that I can be using?

yea use mild soap. relatively pH neutral.
    dont rub skin dry, dab it.
    and moisturise whilst still damp

ReputationRep:
    Moisturise, drink plent of water.
    Try to avoid shower gels like Lynx and such. Use Dove or something similar.

ReputationRep:
    I do drink plenty water (about 4 litres per day, plus other drinks). I do use lynx/adidas/whatever is cheapest shower gels, so probably that that's causing it. My hands are a mess too with too much washing.

Not a major problem, but something I'd like to improve on.

ReputationRep:
    I get dry skin when I have too much gluten. Avoid bread, pasta, biscuits, rice, etc. Basically anything wheat based.

Also, yeast gives you dandruff.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, just had a look at the soap we are using at work:

Carex, moisturising pH balance. That shouldn't be wrecking my hands

ReputationRep:
    Get a good moisturiser. Try E45 cream. Things like shower gel really aren't a good idea, and use a soap like Simple or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PointeShoes-x)
    Get a good moisturiser. Try E45 cream. Things like shower gel really aren't a good idea, and use a soap like Simple or something.
    Yeah, may see if I can get a moisuriser. I presume you can get non-scented ones?

ReputationRep:
    I used to get sore, dry skin on my hands because I wash them so often. What I realised was that it was the soap drying out my skin. I still wash my hands often but my skin is ok so long as I really wash all the soap off properly. I prefer to use bar soap instead of liquid because it washes off easier. Maybe it would help your skin if you just spent longer making sure you have washed off all the soap properly? Tell me if it works..

ReputationRep:
    i got Nivea SOS cream for my hands and it really work good :yep: my hands were dry from the cold

ReputationRep:
    Moisturise every day (twice if possible). Coco butter and Vaseline (creams + petroleum jelly works).

Should see results within 2 weeks or so.

ReputationRep:
    I agree about the Nivea SOS cream, it's ace! I like Nivea creams actually, I find they make my skin softer, and they don't have a strong scent either which is good.

ReputationRep:
    soap isnt good either, it can also dry skin.. iv found that out from the past, and been told by my doctor, hence not alot of soap is used in the house, unless washing hands or something. As long as you wash the soap off properly, i see no harm, and dont over use it either.
    Also moisutrise moisturise!!! always!.. wake up, moisturise, after lunch moisturise, basically moisturise after every wash. Even if that means having a moisturising cream in your bag or pockets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Yeah, may see if I can get a moisuriser. I presume you can get non-scented ones?
    Yep, and make sure you do get a non-scented one. I use E45 which IMO is the best thing you can get without a prescription. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just get vaseline intensive care or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PointeShoes-x)
    Yep, and make sure you do get a non-scented one. I use E45 which IMO is the best thing you can get without a prescription. :yep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can use vaseline or those Aqueous cream (from your gp).
    Both are very good.

ReputationRep:
    I use Johnsons Baby body wash as its got baby oil in and is much better than moisturiser. Then I use baby oil instead of a moisturiser when my skins still wet. It works a lot better for me as I get really dry skin, plus there's noting irritating in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyhol1012)
    I use Johnsons Baby body wash as its got baby oil in and is much better than moisturiser. Then I use baby oil instead of a moisturiser when my skins still wet. It works a lot better for me as I get really dry skin, plus there's noting irritating in it.
    Hmmm, thanks... manlier suggestions please folks :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgosh)
    Just get vaseline intensive care or something.
    This. It's some good shizz, lasts ages too, I've been using the same bottle over a year :|.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.