The Student Room Group

I think I've done bad on an A-level

I think i've done bad on one of my a levels. I've likely done quite well on the other two, I would guess I'm probably going to get an A/B in those two subjects. However, I don't believe I've done well on one of my other subjects and I've likely failed it or got a low grade. I want to discard the A level and do a new A level next year in a subject I'm better at. Hypothetically, I would be taking this subject while in a job and I would be doing the subject from home. Is this possible?
It wouldn't so much be a question of replacing that A level as adding another, but the rest would be possible. Difficult and potentially expensive, but possible. You might consider doing evening classes at a local college in order to get more support.
Reply 2
Original post by redmeercat
It wouldn't so much be a question of replacing that A level as adding another, but the rest would be possible. Difficult and potentially expensive, but possible. You might consider doing evening classes at a local college in order to get more support.

How expensive would it be?
Original post by ToonLegend_
I think i've done bad on one of my a levels. I've likely done quite well on the other two, I would guess I'm probably going to get an A/B in those two subjects. However, I don't believe I've done well on one of my other subjects and I've likely failed it or got a low grade. I want to discard the A level and do a new A level next year in a subject I'm better at. Hypothetically, I would be taking this subject while in a job and I would be doing the subject from home. Is this possible?

Hey @ToonLegend_

Hope you're well, we wish you the best of luck with your studies!

If you are looking to sit another A Level or qualification, as @redmeercat says it would be be counted with the three you're currently studying. I would normally recommend to speak to your tutor to see if you can access any study support to help and you may be able to retake to help improve your grade.

I would say if you're set on studying a further course, it might be worth checking with your local colleges about what they offer in terms of courses, explore the contact hours and if you can get any support with funding the cost. This is just so you can get a better picture on how to manage your time and if there are any financial costs you may need to factor in too.

As for support, I always recommend to take a look as to what support is on offer to you now and to any college or sixth form you may be looking at. Support can range from study skill sessions, working closely with library technicians to build up your skills or working with your tutor on areas you feel you'd like to build up in (as well as any further pastoral and well-being care you may need too).

As a recent graduate from DMU, and from my own experience, I really did appreciate the support I got when it came to studying my courses as it helped me get the most from the course; it also helped me enjoy the course and I felt I performed better when I had the right support in place to help.

Alternatively, another aspect you wish to consider may be a foundation year at a university, which again can be used as a stepping stone if you'd like to move into further study.

If you'd like to talk about what courses you were looking into and get some further advice we'd be happy to support you here or via our DMs!

Take care and stay safe :biggrin:

- Emi
Original post by ToonLegend_
How expensive would it be?

I don't know off the top of my head, but the cost of exam entry plus any resources you need - textbooks, tutors etc, unless you get a funded college or night school place.

Quick Reply

Latest