The Student Room Group

What’s wrong with me?

Hello, so i’ve been having weird moments in my sleep where i randomly scream and i can’t remember it. It started a few months ago where i screamed pretty loudly and my brother who was downstairs could hear it and my siblings woke me up but i couldn’t remember anything at all. It didn’t happen again for like a week then i screamed again 2 nights in a row whilst i was asleep and i didn’t remember this at all either (my sister shares my room and she heard it). It stopped for like 6 weeks then yesterday at around 4/5am ish it happened again. This morning at around the same time it happened too but it was weirder then usual. I remember feeling really scared randomly in my sleep (usually i don’t feel anything or remember anything) when i wasn’t having a nightmare or anything. It’s a little patchy but i remember hurting my arm pretty badly and my brother coming in the room because i made a lot of noise. Apparently i screamed like 3 times and got/fell on the ground and moved to the far end of the room where the cupboards are then i moved and fell back into the coat hanger thingys and hurt my arm. I literally barely remember this happening though so i’m really creeped out. My sister said that when i fell asleep i was like moaning/crying in my sleep at 6ish am. My family are really creeped out and so am i but i don’t know what to make of it. I don’t even have nightmares or anything so why is this happening? Even when i have had nightmares in the past i’ve never had physical reactions to it.
Reply 1
Hello there :smile: I am not a doctor of any sort but you may have a sleeping disorder like REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) or sleep terrors that you don't rem. when u wake up. Here is a little back knowledge on sleep terrors: Sleep terrors sometimes can be triggered by underlying conditions that interfere with sleep, such as: Sleep-disordered breathing a group of disorders that include abnormal breathing patterns during sleep, the most common of which is obstructive sleep apnea. Restless legs syndrome. Some medications. Here is a little back knowledge on REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD): (REM) sleep behavior disorder is a sleep disorder in which you physically act out vivid, often unpleasant dreams with vocal sounds and sudden, often violent arm and leg movements during REM sleep sometimes called dream-enacting behavior. hopes this helps a little! If you're really concerned I would recommend seeing ur GP :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lwexi12
Hello there :smile: I am not a doctor of any sort but you may have a sleeping disorder like REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) or sleep terrors that you don't rem. when u wake up. Here is a little back knowledge on sleep terrors: Sleep terrors sometimes can be triggered by underlying conditions that interfere with sleep, such as: Sleep-disordered breathing a group of disorders that include abnormal breathing patterns during sleep, the most common of which is obstructive sleep apnea. Restless legs syndrome. Some medications. Here is a little back knowledge on REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD): (REM) sleep behavior disorder is a sleep disorder in which you physically act out vivid, often unpleasant dreams with vocal sounds and sudden, often violent arm and leg movements during REM sleep sometimes called dream-enacting behavior. hopes this helps a little! If you're really concerned I would recommend seeing ur GP :smile:

Thank you i thought about seeing my GP but then i was thinking it’s a bit weird and not really serious. I definitely will though if it happens again.
Original post by Lwexi12

Hey, what about sleep talking/walking?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, what about sleep talking/walking?

hey :smile: well Sleepwalking, also known as Somnambulism, is a condition in which a sleeping person exhibits behaviors associated with being awake, appears to be awake but is actually still sleeping. Sleep talking is when an individual vocalizes in their sleep, anything from a few words to whole conversations. Sleepwalking often runs in families. It can also be caused by stress, sleep deprivation, certain medications, breathing disorders, neurological conditions, stress, fever, and migraine. Sleep talking is predominantly seen in individuals with mental health issues or conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety. Sleep talking can also be associated with nightmares, especially in children. hopes this helps! XX
Original post by Lwexi12
hey :smile: well Sleepwalking, also known as Somnambulism, is a condition in which a sleeping person exhibits behaviors associated with being awake, appears to be awake but is actually still sleeping. Sleep talking is when an individual vocalizes in their sleep, anything from a few words to whole conversations. Sleepwalking often runs in families. It can also be caused by stress, sleep deprivation, certain medications, breathing disorders, neurological conditions, stress, fever, and migraine. Sleep talking is predominantly seen in individuals with mental health issues or conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety. Sleep talking can also be associated with nightmares, especially in children. hopes this helps! XX

Thank youu sooo much it really does help, I sleep talk alott and i never acc knew the real reason
Thankss xxx
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, so i’ve been having weird moments in my sleep where i randomly scream and i can’t remember it. It started a few months ago where i screamed pretty loudly and my brother who was downstairs could hear it and my siblings woke me up but i couldn’t remember anything at all. It didn’t happen again for like a week then i screamed again 2 nights in a row whilst i was asleep and i didn’t remember this at all either (my sister shares my room and she heard it). It stopped for like 6 weeks then yesterday at around 4/5am ish it happened again. This morning at around the same time it happened too but it was weirder then usual. I remember feeling really scared randomly in my sleep (usually i don’t feel anything or remember anything) when i wasn’t having a nightmare or anything. It’s a little patchy but i remember hurting my arm pretty badly and my brother coming in the room because i made a lot of noise. Apparently i screamed like 3 times and got/fell on the ground and moved to the far end of the room where the cupboards are then i moved and fell back into the coat hanger thingys and hurt my arm. I literally barely remember this happening though so i’m really creeped out. My sister said that when i fell asleep i was like moaning/crying in my sleep at 6ish am. My family are really creeped out and so am i but i don’t know what to make of it. I don’t even have nightmares or anything so why is this happening? Even when i have had nightmares in the past i’ve never had physical reactions to it.

Just sounds like sleep talking. I sometimes scream in my sleep, I talk, I even sing which is super weird hahahah.

Quick Reply

Latest