Does taking a btec put me at a disadvantage?

Watch
User4957275828
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am starting college in September and I was looking for some advice on what to take

I was thinking of doing 2 a-levels and a btec (equivalent to 1 a level)

The a levels I am choosing between are : history, economics, politics and sociology

And I am hoping to do a btec in media practice

In the future I would like to go to university and my dream is to get in the media industry (although I am conscious about whether I will be able to get a good job in this industry so would like to have a sort of back up plan)

I hope this makes sense
Any advice regarding anything ( such as a-levels, media, etc) would be appreciated!!
drs.vud.192
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do remember that much of the stigma against BTECs are unjustified. It's not just "idiots" who take it, plenty of very diligent and intelligent people do them.
May I just ask you:
1) What are you hoping to study at university?
2) Which universities are you interested in attending?
3) Out of the four A Levels listed, which ones are you most interested in?
If you could answer these I think I could help you decide your A Levels and whether or not to do a BTEC
Aethomson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the first reply but speaking from experience lots of people in my year got rejected from unis as they didn’t accept/recognise btechs so I’d look up uni courses and check the requirements before choosing your subjects
Last edited by Aethomson; 1 month ago
User4957275828
Rep:
?
(Original post by drs.vud.192)
Do remember that much of the stigma against BTECs are unjustified. It's not just "idiots" who take it, plenty of very diligent and intelligent people do them.
May I just ask you:
1) What are you hoping to study at university?
2) Which universities are you interested in attending?
3) Out of the four A Levels listed, which ones are you most interested in?
If you could answer these I think I could help you decide your A Levels and whether or not to do a BTEC
Thank you for replying! (I don’t know if this is the right way to reply to people )
1. I’m not 100% sure but maybe politics ? Or a social science
2. I don’t mind which university specifically, but I would like to go to one that’s alright
3. I have done history at gcse and I am hoping to get an 8 or 9 , and I have always really enjoyed it. Sociology is something that sounds interesting to me. Politics and economics are something that my teachers say go well with history and I would be happy to take for a level

I apologise how broad my answers are, which isn’t very helpful
User4957275828
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aethomson)
I agree with the first reply but speaking from experience lots of people in my year got rejected from unis as they didn’t accept/recognise btechs so I’d look up uni courses and check the requirements before choosing your subjects
Thank you !! (:
Aethomson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by User4957275828)
Thank you !! (:
No problem! Most unis are fine with one btech and two a levels but it’s it’s the top unis and Russel groups that tend to be picky so just kind of have an idea before you secure those subjects
Last edited by Aethomson; 1 month ago
drs.vud.192
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for replying! (I don’t know if this is the right way to reply to people )
1. I’m not 100% sure but maybe politics ? Or a social science
2. I don’t mind which university specifically, but I would like to go to one that’s alright
3. I have done history at gcse and I am hoping to get an 8 or 9 , and I have always really enjoyed it. Sociology is something that sounds interesting to me. Politics and economics are something that my teachers say go well with history and I would be happy to take for a level

I apologise how broad my answers are, which isn’t very helpful
Don't worry, this is the proper way of replying
I would personally say that it would be best for you to do history at a level. If you enjoy it, do it. You have outstanding grades for history and if you enjoy it then I'm sure you'll enjoy it at a level. History is a very well respected a level and if you're planning on pursuing politics or a social science then history would be a fantastic choice.
As for economics, politics and sociology, I would recommend looking into them and what your school covers in those subjects. I was interested in doing sociology too, but when I saw what my school covered I completely lost interest :rolleyes:
As for your BTEC, I'd recommend looking into some universities and courses that you're interested in and checking their entry requirements. As the other replier said, sometimes a BTEC will harm your application to certain universities, though considering that you are not really too fussed about what university you want to go to specifically I'm sure a BTEC wouldn't be too bad for you. However considering the fact that you're not too sure on what you want to pursue at university it's probably best to not do a BTEC as it can box you into a certain degree.

But before you make any last decisions, do remember to look into some courses first and their entry requirements
Hope this helps
User4957275828
Rep:
?
(Original post by drs.vud.192)
Don't worry, this is the proper way of replying
I would personally say that it would be best for you to do history at a level. If you enjoy it, do it. You have outstanding grades for history and if you enjoy it then I'm sure you'll enjoy it at a level. History is a very well respected a level and if you're planning on pursuing politics or a social science then history would be a fantastic choice.
As for economics, politics and sociology, I would recommend looking into them and what your school covers in those subjects. I was interested in doing sociology too, but when I saw what my school covered I completely lost interest :rolleyes:
As for your BTEC, I'd recommend looking into some universities and courses that you're interested in and checking their entry requirements. As the other replier said, sometimes a BTEC will harm your application to certain universities, though considering that you are not really too fussed about what university you want to go to specifically I'm sure a BTEC wouldn't be too bad for you. However considering the fact that you're not too sure on what you want to pursue at university it's probably best to not do a BTEC as it can box you into a certain degree.

But before you make any last decisions, do remember to look into some courses first and their entry requirements
Hope this helps
Thank you for all the help !!!
Briefprofile
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I am starting college in September and I was looking for some advice on what to take

I was thinking of doing 2 a-levels and a btec (equivalent to 1 a level)

The a levels I am choosing between are : history, economics, politics and sociology

And I am hoping to do a btec in media practice

In the future I would like to go to university and my dream is to get in the media industry (although I am conscious about whether I will be able to get a good job in this industry so would like to have a sort of back up plan)

I hope this makes sense
Any advice regarding anything ( such as a-levels, media, etc) would be appreciated!!
I did a BTEC in general engineering. I am now doing Electrical and electronics engineering. Trust me you are not at a disadvantage. AT ALL. You have a head start on course work and researching. Regardless of whatever BTEC you do.

If you can do an A-level too, it would be good. Most universities have those in junction with BTECs in their requirements. So check the universities' entry requirements as others have already suggested. Good luck
Last edited by Briefprofile; 1 month ago
User4957275828
Rep:
?
(Original post by Briefprofile)
I did a BTEC in general engineering. I am now doing Electrical and electronics engineering. Trust me you are not at a disadvantage. AT ALL. You have a head start on course work and researching. Regardless of whatever BTEC you do.

If you can do an A-level too, it would be good. Most universities have those in junction with BTECs in their requirements. So check the universities' entry requirements as others have already suggested. Good luck
Thank you !!
nadiaa_24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i did btec health and social care and as its considered as one a level the work they give is not easy. its very complicated just like other topics. but dont give up. uni mostly focus on ur ucas points and if ur passing any of the subjects that ur doing currently. with my btec grade i still got some offers from uni's
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.92%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.21%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.33%
I'm really nervous (60)
20.55%

Watched Threads