The Student Room Group

Secret societies: would you join one?

I was hoping to get people's views on secret societies in general, you know, Freemasons, Illuminati, the Bohemian Grove etc,

What are your thoughts, would you join one and if not why not?

All views welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did consider joining the freemasons, just not so keen on the religious side of it
Of course.
Reply 3
Original post by Max1989
Did consider joining the freemasons, just not so keen on the religious side of it

What about it put you off?
Depends on whether it was a secret society dedicated to maintaining world domination on behalf of the canine world order. :woo:
Or safeguarding millenias of delicious secret recipes involving chocolate, caramel shortbread and super spicy foods with lots of chilli heat. :cool:
Reply 5
To fulfil the middle of my maslow's hierarchy of needs, yeah I suppose so
Original post by Ram Ranch
I was hoping to get people's views on secret societies in general, you know, Freemasons, Illuminati, the Bohemian Grove etc,

What are your thoughts, would you join one and if not why not?

All views welcome :smile:

Yeah of course, there's no doubt about it lol.
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
Depends on whether it was a secret society dedicated to maintaining world domination on behalf of the canine world order. :woo:
Or safeguarding millenias of delicious secret recipes involving chocolate, caramel shortbread and super spicy foods with lots of chilli heat. :cool:

Incidentally such an order existed, and was dedicated to the celebration of Pugs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Pug

Mops-Orden

Part of the initiation included wearing a dog collar and crawling around on all fours.
Original post by londonmyst
Depends on whether it was a secret society dedicated to maintaining world domination on behalf of the canine world order. :cool:

Have you seen Isle of Dogs?

Thank me later if you haven't :tongue:
Reply 9
Incidentally such an order existed, and was dedicated to the celebration of Pugs

Mops-Orden

Part of the initiation included wearing a dog collar and crawling around on all fours.

Worshipping a dog that was genetically designed to be slowly and visibly dying from the day it is born* is a bit depressing. Sounds like buddhism.

* although this is true for every creature alive I guess
What about it put you off?

Well...the religion aspect :lol: just having to believe in a higher deity doesn't really fit with my own beliefs, you can pretend and nowadays they are quite inclusive but from my own knowledge doing things for God is still a big part of the program, interestingly every male on my mother's side for a good few generations have been quite senior figures in the freemasons...although they are all dead now so can't really question them on it

Do like the idea that businessmen (and some women nowadays) get together for charitable causes it's quite a nice thing
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Max1989
Well...the religion aspect :lol: just having to believe in a higher deity doesn't really fit with my own beliefs, you can pretend and nowadays they are quite inclusive but from my own knowledge doing things for God is still a big part of the program, interestingly every male on my mother's side for a good few generations have been quite senior figures in the freemasons...although they are all dead now so can't really question them on it

Do like the idea that businessmen (and some women nowadays) get together for charitable causes it's quite a nice thing

Of course that makes sense. I asked the question because a lot of people wrongly claim the Masons bar Catholics when in actuality it was the Pope banning them from joining.

If you believe in no God however, then that does throw a spanner in the works.
Only if I gain an executive role.
Sure, sounds fun.
Reply 14
Original post by Rufus the red
Only if I gain an executive role.

You have to start at the bottom and work your way up. No free rides here buddy.
No, they are a hotbed of corruption.

Why would I want to associate with morally corrupt individuals?

Mops-Orden

Union Jack Wearing Bulldog has been terribly traumatised by this information. :biggrin:
Bulldogs rule! :yeah:
BBCN.jpg
Great Britain, Great Brexit, Great Bulldog! :cool:
Would I tell you if I had? :holmes:

(no, of course not. Bunch of pretentious knobs)
Nah I probably wouldn’t be allowed in anyways
Freemasons

An organisation that has franchises in most towns does not qualify as a secret society.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest