Uni application for mature student

Watch
Lewisarthur1992
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I was looking for some advice for which unis to apply to and any ways I can strengthen my application.
I'm 28 and spent the last year doing evening a level classes, I've done an al course in business studies (a full A-level in one year) and an AS in maths, and intend on doing A level English literature condensed into one year and following on with an A2 in maths.
I think I've done pretty well in business studies, perhaps an A, but very poorly in maths, I'll be lucky to scrape a C.
The reason for the poor grade in maths is due (in part) to the contact hours being limited to 3 per week, I was supplementing this with tutoring but was unable to continue with this due to the pandemic.
I'd like to study PPE, or possibly politics and international relations but I'm a bit stuck as to what calibre of uni to apply to and I don't really have any help or guidance from college due to only attending evening classes. Would applying to unis like Queens Belfast and York be a waste of time? Or is it worth applying to one or two that are really optimistic and playing safe with my other selections.
As a mature student, I know life experience is taken in to consideration, but I don't think mine is great. I did an apprenticeship in engineering and got a btec and a few nvqs out of it, then spent 4 years travelling.
I did get good grades in my GCSEs (3A*s, 5 As a B and a C) but I'm not sure how relevent that is considering how long ago it was.
If anyone knows of any books I can read or anything else to improve my personal statement that would also be great.
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lewisarthur1992)
I was looking for some advice for which unis to apply to and any ways I can strengthen my application.
I'm 28 and spent the last year doing evening a level classes, I've done an al course in business studies (a full A-level in one year) and an AS in maths, and intend on doing A level English literature condensed into one year and following on with an A2 in maths.
I think I've done pretty well in business studies, perhaps an A, but very poorly in maths, I'll be lucky to scrape a C.
The reason for the poor grade in maths is due (in part) to the contact hours being limited to 3 per week, I was supplementing this with tutoring but was unable to continue with this due to the pandemic.
I'd like to study PPE, or possibly politics and international relations but I'm a bit stuck as to what calibre of uni to apply to and I don't really have any help or guidance from college due to only attending evening classes. Would applying to unis like Queens Belfast and York be a waste of time? Or is it worth applying to one or two that are really optimistic and playing safe with my other selections.
As a mature student, I know life experience is taken in to consideration, but I don't think mine is great. I did an apprenticeship in engineering and got a btec and a few nvqs out of it, then spent 4 years travelling.
I did get good grades in my GCSEs (3A*s, 5 As a B and a C) but I'm not sure how relevent that is considering how long ago it was.
If anyone knows of any books I can read or anything else to improve my personal statement that would also be great.
Hello Lewisarthur1992,

Hope you are doing well!

At Oxford Brookes University, we have a wide range of undergraduate courses which may interest you and I will link them below:

International Relations: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...nal-relations/
Politics: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...uate/politics/
International Relations and Politics: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...-and-politics/
Economics, Politics and International Relations: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...nal-relations/
Philosophy: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...ate/philosophy

I have just listed a few of the subjects that you could pick from, also you could apply for a joint honours degree if you liked and merge two subjects such as; politics and philosophy, or international relations and philosophy.

I hope this information will be able to help! If you have anymore questions, please do feel free to ask, I would be more than happy to help!

All the best,

Shaf
Lewisarthur1992
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thank you Shaf, that's great info! If I was to apply would the offer be based on UCAS points? I did a BTEC in mechanical engineering around 8 years ago, and I think this together with my A-levels may get me to the required points. Does it matter how long ago this qualification was, or if it's relevant to the degree I want to study?
Last edited by Lewisarthur1992; 3 months ago
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you Shaf, that's great info! If I was to apply would the offer be based on UCAS points? I did a BTEC in mechanical engineering around 8 years ago, and I think this together with my A-levels may get me to the required points. Does it matter how long ago this qualification was, or if it's relevant to the degree I want to study?
Hi Lewisarthur1992,

Each application is looked at on a case by case basis, I think the admissions team would be best able to answer the question about the BTEC properly. They can also help answer any other admission related questions that you may have, specific to your situation. You can get in touch with them at the following email address: [email protected]

Also if you would like we have a 'Chat to a Student Ambassador' service, which can be used to chat with current students who can share their university experiences as well as their experiences with different courses. You can find that at the following link: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-a...nt-ambassador/

I hope this will be able to help! If you have any questions about student life or the University that I can help answer, I would be more than happy to!

All the best,

Shaf
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Lewisarthur1992,
it's great that you're considering York!

It's definitely worth putting in an application. We tend to look at people as a whole rather than just your grades so if you had a good personal statement for example that would really support your application.

I've spoken to the admissions team and they think it's worthwhile but of course we can't guarantee anything as we don't know all of your results yet.

At the moment we're currently asking for AAB for Politics, or AAA for PPE but it's definitely worth applying and something we do make contextual offers which you may qualify for. There is also always clearing. Whilst we can't guarantee we'll have clearing spaces in those subjects the year you're applying it is always great to have a look.

I graduated from my BA in Politics last year and I loved it at York so I'm sure you will too.

If you have any more questions about the university or Politics let me know.
Thanks,
Bea
Graduate Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.85%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.53%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (36)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.94%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.18%

Watched Threads