I'm a final year Medical student at Imperial College London - Ask Me Anything!

Watch
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I'm Nitish, a final year Medicine (MBBS) student at Imperial College London.

I'm originally from Stoke-on-Trent and studied Biology, Chemistry, Maths and EPQ at A-level. I also did work experience at various hospitals and care homes around Stoke-on-Trent.

What I love most about my degree is the application of basic sciences from early years into clinical practice, and the beauty of seeing how different aspects of what you have learnt come together in the treatment of an unwell person. In the earlier years, medical education can seem a bit disjointed but once you get to the end, you can see how it all fits together which is an awesome feeling.

One of the things I love about studying at Imperial is the social aspect. I've made close friends and enjoyed loads of fun things in one of the best cities in the world. As I'm coming up to my final days at university, I'm really grateful that I picked Imperial and London. Another major thing is the weight that the Imperial name carries, which helps you get access to internships and opportunities. This is especially useful in the start up and technology spheres within London.

Outside of my studies, I participate in a range of clubs and societies. Just to name a few: Imperial Medics Badminton, Imperial Medics Hockey, Imperial Medics Drama, Imperial Indian Soc, Imperial Derm Soc, Imperial Students for Global Health, Imperial College School of Medicine Gazette and the Imperial Ambassador programme. In addition to this, I run a start up that helps get refugees into work

Upon graduation, I'll be starting as a Junior Doctor in Birmingham! This means I'll be a practicing doctor and a teaching fellow at the University of Birmingham.

Ask me anything! Image

Post your questions below and I'll be back on Wednesday 2nd June, 2pm - 4pm (UK time) to answer all your questions.
Last edited by Imperial students; 1 month ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My usual question on Imperial AMAs:

Favourite food outlet on campus, and favourite Farmer's Market stall back when it was open?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hi Nitish, how did you find the move to London? did it take you time to adjust? I'm a bit worried i may get lost around london
Aditij.0212
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Nitish. Which is the best hall for the first-year undergraduates?
Aditij.0212
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it worth living in the southside/eastside halls?
chembio20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Nitish, what's an average day like and what's your top tip for a new medical student?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
How did you find the interview? Was it hard?
lillyhu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Nitish, I'm an aspiring medic currently in F4 (England Year 10). Do you have any advice on what I could do during the summer holiday (F4=>F5) to boost my application? I was planning on attending an internship in UCL hosted by InvestIN, but I have a few concerns: 1. Would it be too early to start doing work exp (I've heard that most ppl do work exp during 6.1)? 2. Do you think it's worth it? It's 2000 pounds for 5 days, and my parents are worried I might get COVID (as it's held in a hospital in London). 3. Are there better options (possibly free ones)?

Here's the link to the program:

https://investin.org/collections/med...mer-internship

Another question is about my A-level choices. I would really like to take Further Maths, but I know not a lot of medics take it. Do you think any knowledge in Further Maths is applied in medical school? If not, I'll just stick with Physics (I guess)

Last, how do you find the medic badminton club in Imperial? Is it competitive? Also, is the workload manageable? Do you have free time to hang out with friends?
Thanks a lot!
Imperial students
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
My usual question on Imperial AMAs:

Favourite food outlet on campus, and favourite Farmer's Market stall back when it was open?
Ooooh, I'd have to say the curly fries at the union! I'd seriously consider doing another degree just for the ease of access to more curly fries! And farmers market wise some of the brownies that one of the stall sold were incredible, definitely needed after long morning of lectures!
Imperial students
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi Nitish, how did you find the move to London? did it take you time to adjust? I'm a bit worried i may get lost around london
Hi there! It definitely was a big change and it took a little bit of time to adjust! However once you get to halls you realise everyone is in the same situation as you, so you all make the same mistakes together! In my first year I definitely took the tube in the wrong direction a number of times, but normally you'll be with people from your halls/course so you all make these mistakes together and it always makes for a good story. Imperial halls and campus were also super supportive in my first year, and older years can give you advice as well! It's a steep learning curve, but remember you're not alone and it'll make for good stories in the future
Imperial students
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aditij.0212)
Hi Nitish. Which is the best hall for the first-year undergraduates?
Hi! I think it's difficult to say there's a best halls because each one has their pros and cons. I was allocated to Xenia halls, and I had an incredible time! It was so good to be in the centre of London and be able to walk to all the awesome nightlife. I think my friends in different halls would argue that their respective halls were the best as well so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The main things to consider is budget and distance. If you're a person who doesn't want to commute I'd aim for a more central hall, and if you want to save I'd recommend staying further out. But other than that, halls are made by the people in them rather than the building, so you'll have a good time wherever you are!
Imperial students
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aditij.0212)
Is it worth living in the southside/eastside halls?
Hi there! So I think it really depends on your budget! Eastside and Southside are nice and really close to campus, however the rooms can be smaller and it's quite expensive. I was keen to have an ensuite at a more reasonable price so I aimed for other halls (I was in Xenia in the end) but I did have to take the tube to campus! So it really depends on what you prioritise
Imperial students
Rep:
?
(Original post by chembio20)
Hi Nitish, what's an average day like and what's your top tip for a new medical student?
So I'm a clinical student at the moment, so my rotations are clinical ones in the different hospitals that are part of Imperial. This year I've had rotations in Surgery and Medicine where I work alongside the F1s and help write up things like ward rounds. An average day would be going to the ward round in the morning with the other people on my ward, and then a lecture or two held remotely depending on the rotation you're on (so all the senior medicine people would have a remote lecture which you'd attend in the library along with the other people on your rotation). Then you might go to the ward again/leave to go to teaching/ call it a day depending on what's going on and what your timetable is like! As a new medical student, I'd definitely recommend making the most of London and societies. It's the only time where you'll have the time and opportunity to try loads of new things and see lots of places, so definitely put yourself out there and do loads of things! In later years when you have more work it becomes much more difficult to do these things, so definitely make the most of earlier years!
Imperial students
Rep:
?
How did you find the interview? Was it hard?
So when I applied, I had a panel interview which was really chilled. They asked me questions about why I wanted to do medicine, questions about my personal statements and also about ethics. Imperial have now switched to MMI, so I think the set up is slightly different but the core question themes are the same. As long as you come across as a normal person and don't say anything weird, you should be fine! They're not looking to interrogate you, but see if you have the temperament to work with doctors and patients in the future!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any revision and study tips for medics?
Imperial students
Rep:
?
(Original post by lillyhu)
Hi Nitish, I'm an aspiring medic currently in F4 (England Year 10). Do you have any advice on what I could do during the summer holiday (F4=>F5) to boost my application? I was planning on attending an internship in UCL hosted by InvestIN, but I have a few concerns: 1. Would it be too early to start doing work exp (I've heard that most ppl do work exp during 6.1)? 2. Do you think it's worth it? It's 2000 pounds for 5 days, and my parents are worried I might get COVID (as it's held in a hospital in London). 3. Are there better options (possibly free ones)?

Here's the link to the program:

https://investin.org/collections/med...mer-internship

Another question is about my A-level choices. I would really like to take Further Maths, but I know not a lot of medics take it. Do you think any knowledge in Further Maths is applied in medical school? If not, I'll just stick with Physics (I guess)

Last, how do you find the medic badminton club in Imperial? Is it competitive? Also, is the workload manageable? Do you have free time to hang out with friends?
Thanks a lot!
Hi there!

I'd ask around and see if you can volunteer at a local care home. Other good options would be trying to shadow your local GP or email doctors at your local hospital! I did some work experience in year 11, so I wouldn't say it was too early! Personally I'd advise against paid courses, many doctors are willing to take on students for free and there are lots of free work experience things available. Furthermore people will be able to see that you paid for a medical course, and this doesn't necessarily show that you're putting in effort to get work experience. Maybe ask your school/family if they know anyone who is a doctor so you could ask them if you could shadow them!

I'd say you won't directly apply the knowledge from further maths or physics, but more the analytical skills and ability to learn from them. If you really like further maths, I'd say take it! But make sure to speak with university/school admissions to make sure you're hitting the tick boxes. I have friends who took further maths and got in, so I wouldn't say it will count against you!

Medics badminton is awesome! I was actually the social secretary so spent my 3rd year organising all the event! Playing in the teams are competitive, with most players being between county and national level. However there's a whole set of social sessions as well where people just play for the fun of it as well so there's stuff for everyone! The workload is very manageable, I was able to do work and pass all my exams alongside doing lots of clubs and activities!
Imperial students
Rep:
?
Do you have any revision and study tips for medics?
I'd definitely use tools like flashcards rather than wrote learning large blocks of text. It took me a few years to figure out what the best method for me was, but using tools like passmed and pastest as well as older year notes were the best way for me to memorise niche facts. I also strongly recommend revising in a group - My housemates and I made lectures for topics and lectured each other on them, and this was really effective!
candidate415
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imperial students)
One of the things I love about studying at Imperial is the social aspect. I've made close friends and enjoyed loads of fun things in one of the best cities in the world. As I'm coming up to my final days at university, I'm really grateful that I picked Imperial and London. Another major thing is the weight that the Imperial name carries, people know that if you're from Imperial you worked hard to get in, and so look favourably at you. This helps you get internships and opportunities that you otherwise wouldn't have. This is especially useful in the start up and technology spheres within London.
Right, as if anyone else from any other university hasn't worked hard? Promoting going to a specific university for the 'prestige' or for people to 'look so favourably at you' is a good thing? An incredibly condescending statement to make to say the least.

'This helps you get internships and opportunities that you otherwise wouldn't have'. You're implying that someone from Imperial would be more likely to get an internship placement than say, someone from Queen Mary or Brighton or Southampton? Again, incredibly patronising and untrue.

This whole paragraph of pure false advertisement is unappealing and frankly disappointing from a so-called final year medical student. Get off your high horse!
Imperial students
Rep:
?
(Original post by candidate415)
Right, as if anyone else from any other university hasn't worked hard? Promoting going to a specific university for the 'prestige' or for people to 'look so favourably at you' is a good thing? An incredibly condescending statement to make to say the least.

'This helps you get internships and opportunities that you otherwise wouldn't have'. You're implying that someone from Imperial would be more likely to get an internship placement than say, someone from Queen Mary or Brighton or Southampton? Again, incredibly patronising and untrue.

This whole paragraph of pure false advertisement is unappealing and frankly disappointing from a so-called final year medical student. Get off your high horse!
Hi there,

I can see how my AMA was phrased in that way and that was poor phrasing on my part, many apologies! I've edited it slightly to make it a bit clearer what I meant! From my experience there's a lot of direct recruitment from companies and other organisations directly targeted towards people at Imperial, and lots of companies have specific representatives to attract Imperial students. Furthermore, lots of tech start up opportunities are often in London, and they once again tend to use targeted advertising to the local Imperial students which I have personally benefited from. l was in no way devaluing other universities and medical schools, and of course all medical students have worked hard to get into one of the most competitive degrees in the country! I was just describing my own experience, and didn't intend to cause any offence.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Imperial students)
...From my experience there's a lot of direct recruitment from companies and other organisations directly targeted towards people at Imperial, and lots of companies have specific representatives to attract Imperial students. Furthermore, lots of tech start up opportunities are often in London, and they once again tend to use targeted advertising to the local Imperial students which I have personally benefited from...
I do not disagree with this, it's just that for clinical medicine - rankings, prestige and Russell Group do not matter at all.

And of course, the vast majority of med graduates - Imperial or otherwise - will go on to work and train exclusively in the NHS.

In the rare case that one ends up leaving medicine for another career, it may well be that the reputation of your university will come into play - but that's very much the exception. Something to be mindful of, that's all.

Here are my questions: do you have any ideas what specialty you wanted to train in? And have you ever met any other Imperial medics on TSR in real life?
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads