danhardy.92
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've done lots of research about which uni's I would like to go to, and St. Andrews has always stood out to me as being best fitting - and overall a great uni. Today I visited the town and had a little look around the grounds, and it swayed me even further towards wanting to go there, it looks perfect. I am looking to do Economics, but after reading tons of rejection stories I am quite worried about my chances. Hopefully I will achieve at least AAA in my A-levels (Maths, English Literature, Chemistry) and an A* in EPQ. I have done/am doing a few extra-curricular activities, but I am looking to find more - does anyone have any suggestions? I believe I will be able to construct an impressive personal statement, but I still don't know how strong of a chance I have. Can anyone recommend any advice on increasing my chances of getting in, and how much of a chance do you think I have? Any help would be much appreciated!
Also, I thought I'd better mention that I prefer the MA course, and I would love to study abroad. I have seen that they offer a year in Cologne - which looks right up my street as well!
Last edited by danhardy.92; 2 months ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by danhardy.92)
I've done lots of research about which uni's I would like to go to, and St. Andrews has always stood out to me as being best fitting - and overall a great uni. Today I visited the town and had a little look around the grounds, and it swayed me even further towards wanting to go there, it looks perfect. I am looking to do Economics, but after reading tons of rejection stories I am quite worried about my chances. Hopefully I will achieve at least AAA in my A-levels (Maths, English Literature, Chemistry) and an A* in EPQ. I have done/am doing a few extra-curricular activities, but I am looking to find more - does anyone have any suggestions? I believe I will be able to construct an impressive personal statement, but I still don't know how strong of a chance I have. Can anyone recommend any advice on increasing my chances of getting in, and how much of a chance do you think I have? Any help would be much appreciated!
Also, I thought I'd better mention that I prefer the MA course, and I would love to study abroad. I have seen that they offer a year in Cologne - which looks right up my street as well!
i don't expect there to be so much competition for places next year - this year was exceptional because all of the COVID related deferrals.

however, it does appear it's less about what you can do, and more about where you go to school - if you go to a posh school you might get rejected with all 9s, all A*s predicted and a perfect personal statement.

while the uni does not insist on further maths, it would help you get an offer...
Last edited by A Rolling Stone; 1 month ago
danhardy.92
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
i don't expect there to be so much competition for places next year - this year was exceptional because all of the COVID related deferrals.

however, it does appear it's less about what you can do, and more about where you go to school - if you go to a posh school you might get rejected with all 9s, all A*s predicted and a perfect personal statement.

while the uni does not insist on further maths, it would help you get an offer...
Oright that's really good. I go to a fairly low achieving comprehensive so I think that will hopefully help! I tried to do further maths but because of the size of my school it wasn't able to be run which is a shame but it did look incredibly hard.... thanks for the help!
ellienortt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m doing eco at st a this year! In my ps I analysed 3 economics books, did 2 essay competitions and the maths team (wrote about maths relationship to economics cause at uni it basically is just maths apparently) the advice I was given by my teacher was 3 books, 3 super-curriculars and 3 co-curriculars although I am a female so idk if I’m just in for like balancing statistics but I figured that might be of some help?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ellienortt)
I’m doing eco at st a this year! In my ps I analysed 3 economics books, did 2 essay competitions and the maths team (wrote about maths relationship to economics cause at uni it basically is just maths apparently) the advice I was given by my teacher was 3 books, 3 super-curriculars and 3 co-curriculars although I am a female so idk if I’m just in for like balancing statistics but I figured that might be of some help?
love the self-deprecating humour :giggle:
danhardy.92
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ellienortt)
Oh wow, I think I underestimated the extra-curricular side! I have quite a bit of non-related stuff (Gold DofE, Head Boy, etc.) but I'm more worried about course-related prep. I have been too many competitions, masterclasses etc. over the years for my school, I have done a vaguely related EPQ and I have managed the finances of a MIND-client. I have also started reading a couple of low-level economics books just so I can gain a better understanding of the subject, but these all seem fairly whimsical in comparison to your cornucopia of experience.
I'm hoping I can similarly balance statistics coming from a low-achieving school, but maybe not! I don't think you're in just for that though, you sound very very qualified (scarily so...). Well done for getting in!
Thank you for your help, as unnerving as it was it's definitely helped me know better what I need to do!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads