The Student Room Group

I hate my job as a trainee accountant

I've been working at a small Accounting firm. I'm doing my articles with them. In the last 2 months it's been nothing but an uphill struggle. From facing racism within the work environment to begin shouted at for mistakes that were made. In terms of the mistakes I asked my trainee and did what I was told. However, it was wrong and I had to bear the brunt.

The thought of work upsets me so much to the point that I come home and cry everyday. My parents say I should stick it out. But I'm mentally exhausted and I don't know how much longer I can go before cracking.

I need advice should I stick it out or should I quit and look for somewhere else to do my articles.
Reply 1
Original post by Anon2100
I've been working at a small Accounting firm. I'm doing my articles with them. In the last 2 months it's been nothing but an uphill struggle. From facing racism within the work environment to begin shouted at for mistakes that were made. In terms of the mistakes I asked my trainee and did what I was told. However, it was wrong and I had to bear the brunt.

The thought of work upsets me so much to the point that I come home and cry everyday. My parents say I should stick it out. But I'm mentally exhausted and I don't know how much longer I can go before cracking.

I need advice should I stick it out or should I quit and look for somewhere else to do my articles.

How old are you and what do you have in the way of qualifications?

Have you spoken to your GP?
is somewhere else a reasonable expectation, or will it be tough/require you to stay on while you find a new job?
Reply 3
Original post by Kerzen
How old are you and what do you have in the way of qualifications?

Have you spoken to your GP?

I have a BCom Accounting and finance degree and I working on completing CIMA. I'm 22...

I addressed the racism issue with my manager but due to it being a small firm. I just sense awkwardness with some of the work members
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
is somewhere else a reasonable expectation, or will it be tough/require you to stay on while you find a new job?

I could stay on but I feel like I'm not getting the training and assistance that I need in order to progress and learn
Reply 5
I've been working at a small Accounting firm. I'm doing my articles with them. In the last 2 months it's been nothing but an uphill struggle. From facing racism within the work environment to begin shouted at for mistakes that were made.

What form did the racism take?

Stick with it. Get qualified and move to the Big 4.
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
What form did the racism take?

The most recent incident was when she said she'd slap me. Given the fact that I wasn't the one made the mistake but another white lady. This mistake was made 6 months before I even started
Reply 8
Someone you are working with threatened to slap you? What exactly did this person say?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
Someone you are working with threatened to slap you? What exactly did this person say?

That if something like this happened again she would slap me. When I told I was unhappy about how I was spoken to she said that I should grow up because this is the real world and these things happen.

Later on she sent me a quote saying that I need to be mentally more resilient
The most recent incident was when she said she'd slap me. Given the fact that I wasn't the one made the mistake but another white lady. This mistake was made 6 months before I even started

As inappropriate as that is, how do you know it was made with racist intentions?
Its also hard to know whether it was a misjudged joke or something said seriously without hearing the tone of the voice
That if something like this happened again she would slap me. When I told I was unhappy about how I was spoken to she said that I should grow up because this is the real world and these things happen.

Later on she sent me a quote saying that I need to be mentally more resilient

Threatening physical abuse is of course unacceptable, but I dont see how that is racist?
I feel you about the racism and stuff
Stick it out, youll get there!

If it's a toxic work environment rather than accountancy itself that is the issue, then the best advice I can give is to stick it out in your current role but start looking and applying for jobs now and have a good explanation for why you want to move to another firm lined up. You might as well clock up the experience and earn some money and I promise you once you start looking and know you're only at your current firm to take and not to give back, the abuse will become like water off a duck's back until you leave (which you should do quietly to avoid any retaliation).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending