Why is Warwick Business School so hostile to mature students?

Watch
John Bull
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Warwick Business School
University of Warwick

WBS- TSR Talks

Many universities are welcoming to mature students, but WBS seems like an exception. Very limited entry routes, doesn't accept Access courses and limited information on their website in respect of mature students. Other universities like Bristol are making greater efforts to welcome mature students in recent years.

Even places like Cambridge take Access courses, mature students and people doing second degrees.

So, I want to ask, why is Warwick Business School so hostile to mature or non-traditional students? Does WBS not want any mature students? My conclusion is that mature students are not welcome at Warwick Business School.
Last edited by John Bull; 1 month ago
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this is an unjustified conclusion
John Bull
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
this is an unjustified conclusion
I'm interested in your opinion on this. Do you think they are welcoming/open to mature students?
Last edited by John Bull; 1 month ago
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by John Bull)
I'm interested in your opinion on this. Do you think they are welcoming/open to mature students?
im not a mature student, nor do i know anyone who is, but i don't think a limited range of qualifying-entry routes is enough to say they're unwelcoming - it is, afterall, very competitve
John Bull
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
im not a mature student, nor do i know anyone who is, but i don't think a limited range of qualifying-entry routes is enough to say they're unwelcoming - it is, afterall, very competitve
The most common entry method for mature students is through Access courses. Not accepting these for any courses at the business school makes it very difficult for mature students to apply
Warwick Business School
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by John Bull)
Warwick Business School
University of Warwick

WBS- TSR Talks

Many universities are welcoming to mature students, but WBS seems like an exception. Very limited entry routes, doesn't accept Access courses and limited information on their website in respect of mature students. Other universities like Bristol are making greater efforts to welcome mature students in recent years.

Even places like Cambridge take Access courses, mature students and people doing second degrees.

So, I want to ask, why is Warwick Business School so hostile to mature or non-traditional students? Does WBS not want any mature students? My conclusion is that mature students are not welcome at Warwick Business School.
Hi John Bull
Apologies for the late response. Can you confirm what level of study you're interested in - I'm afraid I couldn't tell from your message!

For our Undergraduate courses I've been given the following information from our Recruitment Team:
Warwick Business School welcomes applications from mature applicants and we consider these on an individual basis. Ideally, we would like to see academic study within the last 5 years, but can occasionally consider applicants with study from further back. Where an applicant has been out of study for a considerable period of time, we encourage enquirers to take an Access to Higher Education Qualification. A typical Access to Higher Education Diploma offer for our Management course is: 45 Credits at Level 3 including Distinction in 33 Level 3 Credits and Merit in 12 Level 3 Credits. Applicants would also need to meet our GCSE English and Maths requirements. Please note that for our Accounting and Finance course, we would require mature applicants to be studying an A Level equivalent Mathematics qualification in addition to an Access to Higher Education Diploma.

With our MSc and MBA courses it's slightly different, as they can really vary in terms of what our entry requirements are, with some focussed mostly on UG degree, and others on years of experience in business. If you confirm which level of study you're interested in, I can put you in contact with the most relevant team to address your needs.

Thanks,
Eleanor
WBS Marketing Team
ChampionLion118
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, I can answer this as a Mature Student from WBS. They do take access courses. That is how I got accepted, after taking an access course. They are very welcoming to mature students. I don't know where you got information that they do not from John Bull
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (29)
5.65%
Uncertainty around my education (59)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (61)
11.89%
Lack of purpose or motivation (67)
13.06%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.46%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (23)
4.48%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (54)
10.53%
Financial worries (31)
6.04%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.24%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (51)
9.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (43)
8.38%

Watched Threads