Aims of 1905 Revolution (AQA History A-level)

Watch
Lily_45
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, revising the 1905 Revolution at the moment for an exam, and I’m confused about the nature of the revolution- did any major group involved actually want to overthrow the tsar/autocracy, or did they all just have more specific ‘reformist’ aims, eg a National Assembly or better working rights? From my notes I’ve always assumed the second (reformist) option, but I can’t actually find a website/textbook that really indicates either way so far?
I’d be very grateful if someone could explain this/give their take
Cheers
Last edited by Lily_45; 7 months ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Russian Social-Democrat party (i.e. Bolsheviks & Mensheviks) would have wanted to overthrow Tsarism then, although their influence was limited. SRs had long aimed for the overthrow of the autocracy too. I'd say they're the most important revolutionaries at that time.

See what Trotsky was saying about it: https://www.marxists.org/archive/tro...rrevo/ch03.htm
Lily_45
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Russian Social-Democrat party (i.e. Bolsheviks & Mensheviks) would have wanted to overthrow Tsarism then, although their influence was limited. SRs had long aimed for the overthrow of the autocracy too. I'd say they're the most important revolutionaries at that time.

See what Trotsky was saying about it: https://www.marxists.org/archive/tro...rrevo/ch03.htm
Thanks, this is really useful So would you say that most people weren’t revolutionary yet (compared to say in feb 1917 when even liberals wanted to overthrow the Tsar), but there were still some revolutionary groups around who had limited influence?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads