Can access course to computing get me to computer science
which access course?
which computing degree?
ArtisticScreech
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes, almost all universities accept access courses for most subjects (the only exceptions I can think of are Oxford and Cambridge for STEM subjects, although there are probably a few others). Some top universities may only accept access courses with a large maths component though, so contact any universities you're interested in applying to before committing to a course.

Some universities have GCSE requirements as well but these are fairly basic - as an example, King's College London requires a 6/B in maths or a computing subject (https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...er-science-bsc), Leicester requires a 5/B (https://le.ac.uk/courses/computer-science-bsc/2021) but other universities will only require a 4/C.

Which universities are you hoping to apply to?
Last edited by ArtisticScreech; 3 months ago
jtgriffin95
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Kings College London do not accept Access courses. I’d suggest you email any University you’re interested in, to get clarity as to what courses are actually accepted.
Last edited by jtgriffin95; 3 months ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe, is the answer. Access courses are not accepted by all unis for all courses, so you need to check with the individual universities you wish to apply to whether the specific access course you are on/considering is acceptable. You should include details of the provider and which units are studied on the course.

Note that many if not most CS degrees require A-level Maths or equivalent, and not many Access courses provide this content. Thus for many they may only consider an Access course alongside A-level Maths or equivalent, for CS degrees. Some Access courses permit you to take an A-level as part of the course, so check what options there are in this regard.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by username5736245)
Can access course to computing get me to computer science
As others have said, depends on the uni, depends on the course.

Unis will list their admissions requirements clearly on their website, it's not a mystery. So check out unis/courses you are interested in!
ArtisticScreech
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jtgriffin95)
Kings College London do not accept Access courses. I’d suggest you email any University you’re interested in, to get clarity as to what courses are actually accepted.
This isn't true:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...er-science-bsc

"Alternative accepted qualifications
Access to HE Diploma
45 Level 3 credits: 36 must be from units awarded at Distinction, with 9 level 3 credits at Merit
Access to Science/ Maths Diploma (or similar subject). Level 3 study to focus on at least one of Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computer Science or Computing."

It would be worth contacting them before applying to an access course though
Last edited by ArtisticScreech; 3 months ago
jtgriffin95
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
. .
Last edited by jtgriffin95; 3 months ago
jtgriffin95
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ArtisticScreech)
This isn't true:

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...er-science-bsc

"Alternative accepted qualifications
Access to HE Diploma
45 Level 3 credits: 36 must be from units awarded at Distinction, with 9 level 3 credits at Merit
Access to Science/ Maths Diploma (or similar subject). Level 3 study to focus on at least one of Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Computer Science or Computing."

It would be worth contacting them before applying to an access course though
You are totally correct, I meant to say Imperial College London, my bad.
CSstudent23
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jtgriffin95)
Yes they do , have you even attempted to check their entry requirements for computer science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.99%
I need help researching courses (7)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.19%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
41.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
24.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.9%

Watched Threads