2001duck
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am a British citizen who was born and partially raised in England but lived most of my life outside of the EU. I returned to the UK on the 28th of August 2019, and thought I would be able to study in the September of 2022. However, today I came across this on the SAAS website:
  • ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students, who start their course between 1 August and 31 December, the relevant date is 1 August.

Does this mean even though all my course would start on the 1st of September or later (making it three years, if only by a couple of days) I would still be denied student finance of the basis of being 28 days short of three years? Will I have to wait until 2023?
hubbabridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 2001duck)
I am a British citizen who was born and partially raised in England but lived most of my life outside of the EU. I returned to the UK on the 28th of August 2019, and thought I would be able to study in the September of 2022. However, today I came across this on the SAAS website:
  • ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students, who start their course between 1 August and 31 December, the relevant date is 1 August.

Does this mean even though all my course would start on the 1st of September or later (making it three years, if only by a couple of days) I would still be denied student finance of the basis of being 28 days short of three years? Will I have to wait until 2023?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that does indeed seem to be the case, the date is the 1st of August for courses starting between 1 August and 31 December if you are going to a Scottish University. There are exceptions which are detailed on the SAAS site but if you left the UK as a child and studied and worked overseas for most of your life then you will probably not meet the criteria for ordinary residence until 2023.
2001duck
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by hubbabridge)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that does indeed seem to be the case, the date is the 1st of August for courses starting between 1 August and 31 December if you are going to a Scottish University. There are exceptions which are detailed on the SAAS site but if you left the UK as a child and studied and worked overseas for most of your life then you will probably not meet the criteria for ordinary residence until 2023.
Do you know where I can find the exceptions? I had a look for them, but couldn't find them. Thank you for your help!
hubbabridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sure.
They are here:https://www.saas.gov.uk/files/508/sa...-eea-swiss.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (316)
84.04%
No (60)
15.96%

Watched Threads