AriTahira
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi!

So I'm applying for uni next year, and I want to do a History Degree. However, my mum (who really wants me to get a job after I graduate), says it is not the best path and that I should consider applying for Law instead. I like Law, but I would like to do History first before I did Law, and also I'm not really sure what I would like to do in the future.

I'm still worried about the job prospects however - apparently, History is a really respected, especially in the London / City area (according to my History teacher who went to KCL), and that the skills I learn there can be applied in any field. However, I just want to confirm this as I don't want to go into a three year course and graduate and not have a job.
CaitlinDelander
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History is great because it opens loads of doors. Any job you go for they’re gonna like the look of a history degree. I guess more highly regarded jobs would be more handy with history however most employers just look that you have any degree. History is obviously very hard and complex so whatever job you go for the employer should be impressed
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
any professional services job, more or less. Employers dont overly care about what you studied just that you have high grades. I have yet to meet many people, outside of things like accountancy, policy etc. where their degree actually mattered.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can become a lawyer with a history degree, and a law degree isn't inherently better than a history degree in any other field anyway. The only benefit it has in the legal field is making the path to qualifying slightly more straightforward even.

As above someone with a history degree can go into basically any of the very wide range of generalist grad schemes, from most civil service roles to grad schemes in business, media, finance, banking (if you're going to a target uni) etc, etc. Someone I knew from school did history and went on to train as an accountant at a big 4 company. What you study is really not the constraint on employment school leavers think it will be (and what actually is, namely getting relevant work experience through internships, vacation schemes and summer placements etc, seems to be universally underestimated by them).
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
You can become a lawyer with a history degree, and a law degree isn't inherently better than a history degree in any other field anyway. The only benefit it has in the legal field is making the path to qualifying slightly more straightforward even.

As above someone with a history degree can go into basically any of the very wide range of generalist grad schemes, from most civil service roles to grad schemes in business, media, finance, banking (if you're going to a target uni) etc, etc. Someone I knew from school did history and went on to train as an accountant at a big 4 company. What you study is really not the constraint on employment school leavers think it will be (and what actually is, namely getting relevant work experience through internships, vacation schemes and summer placements etc, seems to be universally underestimated by them).
This, i have yet to hear of anyone having much of a problem of getting a job through their degree choice/university as opposed to their simple lack of experience - something that can be a real **** to over come if not noted soon enough :lol:
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AriTahira)
Hi!

So I'm applying for uni next year, and I want to do a History Degree. However, my mum (who really wants me to get a job after I graduate), says it is not the best path and that I should consider applying for Law instead. I like Law, but I would like to do History first before I did Law, and also I'm not really sure what I would like to do in the future.

I'm still worried about the job prospects however - apparently, History is a really respected, especially in the London / City area (according to my History teacher who went to KCL), and that the skills I learn there can be applied in any field. However, I just want to confirm this as I don't want to go into a three year course and graduate and not have a job.
Hi AriTahira

It is great that you are considering studying a History Degree.

There are plenty of career prospects which you can enter upon completing a History.

As has already been touched upon, you can complete a law conversion course after completing your undergraduate degree in history.

You can also enter traditional routes of employment in the following fields:
Researcher
Teacher
Civil servant
Historian
Archaeologist
Museum or gallery conservator
Auctioneer
Heritage management
Archivist

At Hull, the way we teach history gives you skills that employers value. By explaining, supporting and defending your ideas, you’ll become a better communicator.
We also develop your digital literacy through diverse teaching and learning methods, helping you build skills that you can draw on throughout your career.

Its all about developing those transferrable skills from the degree which you decide to study as well as any extra curricular activities which you may wish to pursue alongside your studies, which employers value.

Hope this is helpful, and if you have any questions about studying History, we run an Ask a Student page on the University of Hull website which you can access here - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
PhD History
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads