cathdugg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, so I'm just starting my A level English Lit NEA and the pre-1900 text I've picked is Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility (for definite).

I'm doing it on the rough theme of women and gender equality especially in relationships and the other text I've picked to compare it to is Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love after seeing it advertised for the BBC show (with Lily James).

After doing some research I realised there are hardly any (next to nothing) criticisms or studies on TPOL which would obviously be significant for the NEA.

I'm not sure if I should change the text (I have til after half term to finalise) - please can anyone suggest more modern texts that would be good to compare to Sense and Sensibility?

Thank you so much x
vicgb03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi!! My last response doesn’t seem to have worked so I’ll try and remember some suggestions:
- The Handmaid’s Tale (definitely focuses on women’s roles, rights and identity)
- To Kill A Mockingbird (from what I remember the main character does talk about the ‘feminine’ behaviour and stereotype they are expected to show, although it’s not the main focus of the book)
- 1984 (again not the main focus but it does talk about women’s roles in a dystopian future, similar to the Handmaid’s Tale) (although Handmaid’s Tale talks a lot more about women)
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (a really good autobiography written in a fictional style which I personally loved, talks a lot about identity and women’s roles)
- The Help (I compared this with the book above, it’s about women from different backgrounds uniting and a character in particular rising up against the gender expectations of the time)
- A Thousand Splendid Suns (a really good book about women’s relationships in a brutal patriarchal society)
- A Streetcar Named Desire (not sure if you’re allowed to do plays but this one definitely talks about women’s roles and how they change in the American South post-WWII)

Hope this helped!! Let me know if you need any more suggestions
cathdugg
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by vicgb03)
Hi!! My last response doesn’t seem to have worked so I’ll try and remember some suggestions:
- The Handmaid’s Tale (definitely focuses on women’s roles, rights and identity)
- To Kill A Mockingbird (from what I remember the main character does talk about the ‘feminine’ behaviour and stereotype they are expected to show, although it’s not the main focus of the book)
- 1984 (again not the main focus but it does talk about women’s roles in a dystopian future, similar to the Handmaid’s Tale) (although Handmaid’s Tale talks a lot more about women)
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (a really good autobiography written in a fictional style which I personally loved, talks a lot about identity and women’s roles)
- The Help (I compared this with the book above, it’s about women from different backgrounds uniting and a character in particular rising up against the gender expectations of the time)
- A Thousand Splendid Suns (a really good book about women’s relationships in a brutal patriarchal society)
- A Streetcar Named Desire (not sure if you’re allowed to do plays but this one definitely talks about women’s roles and how they change in the American South post-WWII)

Hope this helped!! Let me know if you need any more suggestions
Thank you so much! Unfortunately most of these texts are on AQA's prohibited list; I think because the specification is so wide they don't want texts that are taught already in schools, which is a shame because I was wanting to do The Handmaid's Tale. I'm actually studying The Help at the moment which I'm loving! I'm going to look into A Thousand Splendid Suns as I've heard it's really good for lots of aspects of female identity as well as historical context/social culture. Thank you again for your help
vicgb03
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cathdugg)
Thank you so much! Unfortunately most of these texts are on AQA's prohibited list; I think because the specification is so wide they don't want texts that are taught already in schools, which is a shame because I was wanting to do The Handmaid's Tale. I'm actually studying The Help at the moment which I'm loving! I'm going to look into A Thousand Splendid Suns as I've heard it's really good for lots of aspects of female identity as well as historical context/social culture. Thank you again for your help
Ooh sorry I’d completely forgotten about that list 😅 no problem and best of luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (40)
14.49%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (91)
32.97%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (34)
12.32%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (23)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (15)
5.43%
I think it's an unfair expectation (70)
25.36%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.09%

Watched Threads