The Student Room Group

Rejecting firm choice after meeting the conditions

Hi there!I am wondering if signing up to a firm choice on UCAS means that I am absolutely committed to that university if I meet the conditions? I am also waiting for my IB score for a uni outside of the UK, and I would prefer to go there over my firm choice. Can I accept a firm choice now and reject it later if I meet the condition of my other uni?You have to put down a firm choice on UCAS, right?Thanks!
no, you phone/email the university on the day and let them know you won't be taking up your place
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
no, you phone/email the university on the day and let them know you won't be taking up your place

Thanks! Would it be fine if I call them later?
Original post by bluejay6433
Thanks! Would it be fine if I call them later?

yes, but the sooner you let them know the better
Hi there!I am wondering if signing up to a firm choice on UCAS means that I am absolutely committed to that university if I meet the conditions? I am also waiting for my IB score for a uni outside of the UK, and I would prefer to go there over my firm choice. Can I accept a firm choice now and reject it later if I meet the condition of my other uni?You have to put down a firm choice on UCAS, right?Thanks!

Yes
You can completely withdraw from UCAS at any point using Track. Or if your firm is unconditional from July onwards you can use a function on Track to “decline my choice” and place yourself into clearing.
Yes, just to confirm that you don’t need to ring anyone on results day. Just withdraw via Track if you’re taking up a place outside of UCAS. You are not committed to going anywhere unless you formally enrol.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Yes
You can completely withdraw from UCAS at any point using Track. Or if your firm is unconditional from July onwards you can use a function on Track to “decline my choice” and place yourself into clearing.

Thank you! That is very helpful! Do you know the deadline for going into clearing?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, just to confirm that you don’t need to ring anyone on results day. Just withdraw via Track if you’re taking up a place outside of UCAS. You are not committed to going anywhere unless you formally enrol.

Thank you! That is great to know! Do you know when is the deadline for withdrawal?
Thank you! That is great to know! Do you know when is the deadline for withdrawal?

To be honest, you don’t even need to withdraw if you want to keep your options open. It’s a courtesy to the uni to let them know, but you could just not enrol. The uni should let you know the latest enrolment date.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
To be honest, you don’t even need to withdraw if you want to keep your options open. It’s a courtesy to the uni to let them know, but you could just not enrol. The uni should let you know the latest enrolment date.

Right. I understand. Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending