The Student Room Group

How long is the average university dissertation?

How long is the average university 3rd year dissertation?

I know it changes per subject but I’m just interested overall.

I’m going to study Computer Science next year and have been looking at the dissertation length and have seen anywhere from 8,000 - 15,000. Is this right?

It seems a bit confusing as I handed my A-Level Computer Science coursework in a few weeks ago and that was around 25,000 words, minus the code which I assume is the same for university.

If any of you as studying computer science, what is the word count for your dissertation?
Reply 1
Original post by Keeli17

I’m going to study Computer Science next year and have been looking at the dissertation length and have seen anywhere from 8,000 - 15,000. Is this right?

It seems a bit confusing as I handed my A-Level Computer Science coursework in a few weeks ago and that was around 25,000 words, minus the code which I assume is the same for university.

If any of you as studying computer science, what is the word count for your dissertation?

Mine was just over 16,000. The only requirement in my case, length-wise, was that the diss had to have maximum 40 pages. Word count isn't relevant for 2 reasons, first is that you want to produce an easy to read and complete report of your work, and it would be wrong to treat it like an essay. It's alright if you don't need all the pages, as long as you've covered everything. The second reason is that you also need to add references and appendices, which predictably inflate the word count a lot.

25,000 words without references and appendices is ridiculous, it's VERY unlikely you will have to write anything that large in uni
Original post by Keeli17

It depends on the course and the uni. It can be anywhere from 5,000 to 20,000 (although an upper range like that is usually for masters students).
Reply 3
Original post by HueySE
Mine was just over 16,000. The only requirement in my case, length-wise, was that the diss had to have maximum 40 pages. Word count isn't relevant for 2 reasons, first is that you want to produce an easy to read and complete report of your work, and it would be wrong to treat it like an essay. It's alright if you don't need all the pages, as long as you've covered everything. The second reason is that you also need to add references and appendices, which predictably inflate the word count a lot.

25,000 words without references and appendices is ridiculous, it's VERY unlikely you will have to write anything that large in uni

That's how long the coursework was. The exam board examples were all in this range.
My dissertation/project word limit was 7,000 - course was Biomedical Science
Reply 5
Ummm the recommended word count from the exam board is 30k.

And PhD thesis are usually longer than 25k. I know how long they are as I've read my father's and uncles.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Keeli17

bruh **** cs a level, worst decision I have made so far in my life was to pick that. My NEA was 184 pages 45k works approx. I have PTSD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending