What is Lancaster University like for a BAME student?

Watch
SpartanLevi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm thinking of firming Lancaster as my first choice University, however, as a BAME student, I am slightly worried about the lack of diversity. Can any student from Lancaster let me know what the diversity is like?

Is it 'accepting' and accommodating to BAME students etc. I'm just worried I may be 'isolated' to a certain extent and may not make as many friends from different backgrounds as I'd hoped.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SpartanLevi)
I'm thinking of firming Lancaster as my first choice University, however, as a BAME student, I am slightly worried about the lack of diversity. Can any student from Lancaster let me know what the diversity is like?

Is it 'accepting' and accommodating to BAME students etc. I'm just worried I may be 'isolated' to a certain extent and may not make as many friends from different backgrounds as I'd hoped.
Hi I collate as much information as I can about Lancaster as my daughters a first year there. And on the medicine thread there was a lovely person called Sukhy who is one of the lancaster ambassadors there and he said I could use his comment as part of the diversity section on the Lancaster useful tips and hints thread that I run.
So have copied and pasted here for you if it helps in any way:

Diversity at Lancaster
As posed in a question on a previous thread on the Medicine entry thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post93727784 Post #425
As stated from Sukhy, a 5th Year Student from Lancaster February 2021:
''Coming from West London which is a really diverse/busy/densely populated area, I was unsure what Lancaster would be like, but honestly I've had a really good time here and I rarely ever feel home sick.

The general population/demographics of the city is mostly White British, but I'd say the student population at the University is quite diverse, especially our medical school and it's getting better each year. As mentioned by a previous user, the city is pretty small, I call it a town lol, but has great train connections to big cities like Preston (20mins), Manchester (40mins), Liverpool (1hr-ish), Birmingham(2hr), London(2.5hr) - so you get a lot of students that come from Manch/Bham/London.

My personal friendship group is really diverse and I'm grateful that I met loads of people from various backgrounds through my years at uni (medics + non-medics).

Joining societies is one of the best ways to get involved in the community and meet like-minded people.
https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups?gro...tional&search=
^ you can see a list of societies here and there's loads under the heading 'International'.

Highly recommend having a look at some of these social media pages (100% not an exclusive list, I've just put a few here):

Lancaster Uni Student Union BAME officer
https://www.instagram.com/lusubameofficer/

Lancaster Uni Chaplaincy Centre
https://www.instagram.com/luchaplaincy/
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/chaplaincy/
The Chaplaincy Centre is for people of all faiths and spirituality.

Lancaster Uni BME Medics Society
https://www.instagram.com/bmemedics_lancs/
We actually have a BAME society for Medics and other healthcare professionals which I think is fantastic!

Lancaster Uni African and Caribbean Society (ACS)
https://www.instagram.com/lancasteracs/
Really active on social media, they have over 700 followers, close knit community and hold regular social events.
Lancaster Uni Indian Society
https://www.instagram.com/luindiansociety/
https://www.facebook.com/lancasterindian
Again really active society, holds regular events, has over 1000 likes on their Facebook page.
Lancaster Uni Islamic Society
https://www.instagram.com/lancsisoc/
Lancaster Uni Sikh Society
https://www.instagram.com/lancaster_sikhsoc/
Lancaster Uni Hindu Society
https://www.instagram.com/lancasterhindusociety/
Lancaster Uni Pakistani Society
https://www.instagram.com/lupakistanisociety/
Lancaster Uni Tamil Society
https://www.instagram.com/lutamilsoc/?hl=en-gb
Many of the above South Asian societies came together and held a 'South Asian Winter Ball' last year which was a great success
Lancaster Uni Filipino Society
https://www.instagram.com/lancsfilsoc/?hl=en-gb
Lancaster Uni Kazakhstan Society
https://www.facebook.com/groups/157910803649/

Interesting fact: I have medic friends involved in every society that I've listed above, many of them are actually on the execs! That's what I love about these societies, they give you something to do outside of medicine, they are like a home away from home, and a great opportunity to make friends with non-medics and collaborate with other societies.

I hope this helps, feel free to get in touch with the societies that you might be interested in and definitely get involved with them if you're with us in October 2021!

Best wishes,
Sukhy
5th Yr Lancaster Med Student ''
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hey SpartanLevi

I'm Sukhy, a 5th year medical student at Lancaster and I come from London and my cultural background is Sikh Punjabi / Indian, so I hope I can offer you some insight into how I've found Lancaster and many of my BAME peers.

A big thank you to @ghostlady for kindly reposting my comments above, I hope that post shows you how many diverse cultural societies we have at Lancaster. My biggest tip would be to join the one that you relate to the most when you come to Lancaster, because you will meet so many like -minded people and great friends through societies.

When I first came to Lancaster, it was quite out of my comfort zone, I hadn't been this far up North from London ever in my life and I was about to start a 5 year course here! When I first arrived here for an Interview and came out of the train station, it felt like a quiet, pretty little city, probably the size of my town back home in London, so in terms of size it's not big at all, and the population is not as dense as major cities. However, the actual student population is pretty big and that is what brings the diversity to Lancaster. My course in particular (medicine) is very diverse, there are many students from BAME backgrounds on my course. Over the past five years, I have seen the diversity grow and when I walk around campus I am pleasantly surprised to see so many more people that are from various backgrounds. As mentioned, the best to way to connect with others is through societies, and societies LOVE to get freshers involved and make you feel welcomed, so please do that when you come. My last two years have been so so lovely because I have been involved in a Sikh Society which we co-founded this year because there wasn't one before, and I have made so many great friends through the society.

The city itself is student friendly, I've personally not had any issues around here. As mentioned in the post above, the local demographics of Lancaster City Centre are predominantly White British, but the student population is quite diverse and you are not too far away from big cities like Preston (20 mins on train), Manchester (40 mins) and Liverpool (40mins-1hr) which are bigger and more diverse, and give you that 'big city' feel. Lancaster is quite a small place geographically and naturally so is the population, it's not as busy and jam packed as bigger cities, but this can be a pro too.

One thing I miss about London is the diversity in food places to eat, although Lancaster does have lots of cute independent places to have dinner / drinks, and quite a few cultural restaurants as well, but only a handful. To put it bluntly, I'd say yes this university is not as diverse as other universities in the country which are in big cities for example the London Universities, Birmingham Universities, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

BUT Lancaster is accepting and accommodating to BAME people and you most certainly WILL make soooo many friends, reach out and join those societies once you are here! It's a small city, with a cosy safe feel, you will see many familiar faces about and I hope you feel welcomed. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Hope that helps
Sukhy
5th year medical student
Last edited by Lancaster Student Ambassador; 2 weeks ago
SpartanLevi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hey SpartanLevi

I'm Sukhy, a 5th year medical student at Lancaster and I come from London and my cultural background is Sikh Punjabi / Indian, so I hope I can offer you some insight into how I've found Lancaster and many of my BAME peers.

A big thank you to @ghostlady for kindly reposting my comments above, I hope that post shows you how many diverse cultural societies we have at Lancaster. My biggest tip would be to join the one that you relate to the most when you come to Lancaster, because you will meet so many like -minded people and great friends through societies.

When I first came to Lancaster, it was quite out of my comfort zone, I hadn't been this far up North from London ever in my life and I was about to start a 5 year course here! When I first arrived here for an Interview and came out of the train station, it felt like a quiet, pretty little city, probably the size of my town back home in London, so in terms of size it's not big at all, and the population is not as dense as major cities. However, the actual student population is pretty big and that is what brings the diversity to Lancaster. My course in particular (medicine) is very diverse, there are many students from BAME backgrounds on my course. Over the past five years, I have seen the diversity grow and when I walk around campus I am pleasantly surprised to see so many more people that are from various backgrounds. As mentioned, the best to way to connect with others is through societies, and societies LOVE to get freshers involved and make you feel welcomed, so please do that when you come. My last two years have been so so lovely because I have been involved in a Sikh Society which we co-founded this year because there wasn't one before, and I have made so many great friends through the society.

The city itself is student friendly, I've personally not had any issues around here. As mentioned in the post above, the local demographics of Lancaster City Centre are predominantly White British, but the student population is quite diverse and you are not too far away from big cities like Preston (20 mins on train), Manchester (40 mins) and Liverpool (40mins-1hr) which are bigger and more diverse, and give you that 'big city' feel. Lancaster is quite a small place geographically and naturally so is the population, it's not as busy and jam packed as bigger cities, but this can be a pro too.

One thing I miss about London is the diversity in food places to eat, although Lancaster does have lots of cute independent places to have dinner / drinks, and quite a few cultural restaurants as well, but only a handful. To put it bluntly, I'd say yes this university is not as diverse as other universities in the country which are in big cities for example the London Universities, Birmingham Universities, Manchester, Liverpool etc.

BUT Lancaster is accepting and accommodating to BAME people and you most certainly WILL make soooo many friends, reach out and join those societies once you are here! It's a small city, with a cosy safe feel, you will see many familiar faces about and I hope you feel welcomed. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Hope that helps
Sukhy
5th year medical student
Thank you Sukhy,

Your post has definitely assured me even further, I have looked at some student data for Lancaster University and indeed the number of BAME students has increased quite a bit, hopefully this year they rise even further as I have firmed Lancaster for Law. I have looked at some of the societies, I'm pretty intrigued by the South Asian Ball as I did not attend Prom so hopefully this can be a similar experience to that. Thank you once again, I am pretty sure I have made the correct decision and I will hopefully have an amazing 3/4 years.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you Sukhy,

Your post has definitely assured me even further, I have looked at some student data for Lancaster University and indeed the number of BAME students has increased quite a bit, hopefully this year they rise even further as I have firmed Lancaster for Law. I have looked at some of the societies, I'm pretty intrigued by the South Asian Ball as I did not attend Prom so hopefully this can be a similar experience to that. Thank you once again, I am pretty sure I have made the correct decision and I will hopefully have an amazing 3/4 years.
Wishing you all the very best SpartanLevi
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you Sukhy,

you're most welcome!
I hope you have a great time at Lancaster too. Remind yourself everybody is in the same boat as you - everyone is open to making friends at uni, so definitely go out there and get involved in things. A lot of my best friends I met in random places, through friends of friends and through societies. Often it just takes one person to step forward and say 'hey do you wanna go for dinner etc' and before you know it you'll have a great group of friends.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I am here to help anytime. I'm also available on Lancaster Unibuddy platform (click here) and you can find current Law Students here if you have any specific course questions you'd like to ask (just filter by subject at the top) https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/

Sukhy
5th yr Lancaster Medical Student
Last edited by Lancaster Student Ambassador; 2 weeks ago
Willzyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If it helps, I'm from a rural town in Scotland. That's even further north than Lancaster and I don't know what people are saying about northerners but we're not especially bigoted. Life is more complicated than you think. You could meet fellow BAME students that really dislike you for any number of reasons and instead find yourself befriending a diverse group of white people: Irish, Welsh, Russian, etc.

My best friend at work is a man from Zimbabwe. He's black. He's also very Christian and considers abortion murder. Anyone who says "BAME" would probably shrink away from befriending this black man because his core values are wrong. But, he's an integral member of Scottish society, does incredibly selfless work, and he is not distastefully evangelic about his beliefs.

Life is more complicated than BAME. My point is, looking for BAME isn't a useful way of discerning friends. It's superficial. You'll learn this.

You will be pleasantly surprised by how welcoming and accomodating Northerners are. Don't believe the ideological indoctrination. There is no lack of diversity, it's not something to be worried about. Whoever taught you that too many white people is a worry is a bigot. I can assure you, that you will not be isolated. You're among family regardless of skin colour, culture, or creed. The only people you need to find are those lead by LOVE.
SpartanLevi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Willzyx)
If it helps, I'm from a rural town in Scotland. That's even further north than Lancaster and I don't know what people are saying about northerners but we're not especially bigoted. Life is more complicated than you think. You could meet fellow BAME students that really dislike you for any number of reasons and instead find yourself befriending a diverse group of white people: Irish, Welsh, Russian, etc.

My best friend at work is a man from Zimbabwe. He's black. He's also very Christian and considers abortion murder. Anyone who says "BAME" would probably shrink away from befriending this black man because his core values are wrong. But, he's an integral member of Scottish society, does incredibly selfless work, and he is not distastefully evangelic about his beliefs.

Life is more complicated than BAME. My point is, looking for BAME isn't a useful way of discerning friends. It's superficial. You'll learn this.

You will be pleasantly surprised by how welcoming and accomodating Northerners are. Don't believe the ideological indoctrination. There is no lack of diversity, it's not something to be worried about. Whoever taught you that too many white people is a worry is a bigot. I can assure you, that you will not be isolated. You're among family regardless of skin colour, culture, or creed. The only people you need to find are those lead by LOVE.
Thanks for the reply, I fully agree with what you are saying. I'm from Yorkshire myself, I often see these negative stereotypes too, it does not put me off wanting to study at Lancaster University. However, I would definitely miss many aspects of my culture, such as certain events, food and other things to name a few. I have many friends of different backgrounds, I would also like to learn about other cultures and traditions from different people too. The only thing I was worried about is being isolated in terms of having little or no friends or people who have experience of the same culture etc, however looking at the societies page it has reassured me quite a bit.

Moreover, I agree I would be among family etc, and I would also love to have friends from my own faith/background as it's just something I would like. My original post was to just reassure myself that there would be enough of a BAME presence that I would be comfortable to be able to talk to and obviously have similar experiences to. Again, the points you make I agree with, it's just a preference of mine to at least have some friends from a similar background to me that['s all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed