Is it true that we know more about space than our oceans?

Watch this thread
Coral9
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
If so, why?
username4449440
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
I’m pretty sure that’s not true
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
How can we actually answer that if we don't know everything about either? There may be hardly anything left to know about our oceans for all we know and loads of unknown phenomena in space, or vice versa.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
because school only ever taught us about the solar system, not the oceans
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I don't think anyone on TSR can give you a real answer for that.
15Characters...
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
How does one measure the amount of human knowledge about a particular field? You might attempt to quantify knowledge in terms of e.g. number of books written about the field. But these measures may not necessarily be useful - books can just repeat knowledge expressed elsewhere, they can consist of mindless waffle/speculation/be plain wrong, and publishing decisions can be skewed by e.g. public and commercial interest in a field. This is just one example of a metric you might use to try to measure knowledge, but I think most other attempts at quantification will suffer similar questions.

And do you actually care about total knowledge, or are you more interested in the amount of intellectual resources (researcher or teacher time for example) invested in each field in a given time period? This may give you an idea of current research or educational activity in each field, but not total integrated knowledge, and may not give a good estimate of the rate at which new knowledge is being acquired because research can be unproductive or duplicative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads