Should I take Further Math side by side with my AS Pure Math

Watch
saad_i_11
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, I wanted to know that is taking further math along with pure math right idea? I mean my sir recommended me to complete math whole A-Level math in one year and then complete A-Level further math next year as completing math would give grip over further math. However, I feel the other way and feel that I should take both subject together and complete both the subject (math, further math) together and should study both subjects in two years. What do you guys think? Please take one side so that I could be clear
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
When I was in school students were recommended to start with 4 AS-Levels and then continue to do 3 A-Levels in the second year by dropping one subject.

You can do whatever A-Levels you want. In my opinion, students who do further maths probably want to study mathematics at university. If you are unsure of what you want to do at university, then it might be wise to "keep your options" open by selecting something other than further maths.

I would also add that you should be wary of your workload. Doing an A-Level in one year at your age (I presume you are a teenager) may be quite challenging.
Last edited by 0le; 3 months ago
saad_i_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by 0le)
When I was in school students were recommended to start with 4 AS-Levels and then continue to do 3 A-Levels in the second year by dropping one subject.

You can do whatever A-Levels you want. In my opinion, students who do further maths probably want to study mathematics at university. If you are unsure of what you want to do at university, then it might be wise to "keep your options" open by selecting something other than further maths.

I would also add that you should be wary of your workload. Doing an A-Level in one year at your age (I presume you are a teenager) may be quite challenging.
So you are saying that I should take both subjects simultaneously
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by saad_i_11)
Hi guys, I wanted to know that is taking further math along with pure math right idea? I mean my sir recommended me to complete math whole A-Level math in one year and then complete A-Level further math next year as completing math would give grip over further math. However, I feel the other way and feel that I should take both subject together and complete both the subject (math, further math) together and should study both subjects in two years. What do you guys think? Please take one side so that I could be clear
Are you learning in school or independently? If in school, what is your school's policy on this?

I'm not full conversant with how the new linear A levels are organized in the UK, but there have always been some areas of Further Maths that are independent of the main Maths A level and can be taught in parallel, and some areas that rely on knowledge / skills from the main A level. Doing the main A level first and then Further Maths afterwards reduces the chances that you'll run into something in Further Maths that you can't deal with because it relies on assumed knowledge from the main A level
rae52
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
My college taught them in parallel and I can't remember any issues with it. I would say doing them in parallel has the advantage of ensuring you're really confident with Math before A2 year meaning you'll smash Maths A2 even if you decide not to pursue Further. For me, there was no real difference in difficulty between A2 Math and AS Further, with AS Math being significantly easier and A2 Further significantly harder.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Different schools teach the courses differently in the UK; some do all of A-level Maths in year 12, followed by all of A-level FM in year 13, while some teach them simultaneously and organise the teaching to ensure the necessary topics from A-level Maths are covered before they are required in FM. I'm not sure if either is specifically "better", and both are possible. It really depends on your schools approach to how they teach them, I'd suggest just go with whatever their standard format is.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 months ago
saad_i_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Are you learning in school or independently? If in school, what is your school's policy on this?

I'm not full conversant with how the new linear A levels are organized in the UK, but there have always been some areas of Further Maths that are independent of the main Maths A level and can be taught in parallel, and some areas that rely on knowledge / skills from the main A level. Doing the main A level first and then Further Maths afterwards reduces the chances that you'll run into something in Further Maths that you can't deal with because it relies on assumed knowledge from the main A level
Thanks for your response
saad_i_11
Rep:
?
(Original post by rae52)
My college taught them in parallel and I can't remember any issues with it. I would say doing them in parallel has the advantage of ensuring you're really confident with Math before A2 year meaning you'll smash Maths A2 even if you decide not to pursue Further. For me, there was no real difference in difficulty between A2 Math and AS Further, with AS Math being significantly easier and A2 Further significantly harder.
So taking further maths in As side by side with pure As maths is better. Right?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by saad_i_11)
So taking further maths in As side by side with pure As maths is better. Right?
You have already received an answer for this question from another user:

I'm not sure if either is specifically "better", and both are possible. It really depends on your schools approach to how they teach them, I'd suggest just go with whatever their standard format is.
PandaPancake0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Our school does A Level Maths first year then goes on to do FM second year, with around half of CP1 topics taught in first year to build some confidence in conjunction with A level maths. The advantage of this is that if you want to drop FM then you are essentially revising maths you've already secured and covered for the best part of a year when in year 13, so people who do this consistently get A*s. They get put into the regular Maths class and are a milion miles ahead. Furthermore, A2 Maths is arguably a shade harder than AS FM, so after a year of intensity when moving onto year 13 the shift may be in a sense a relative drop in difficulty, making an adjustment smoother. I'm sure there are advantages to both, but I'd personally go with the linear option, but you must be prepared to work hard as the pace will be very fast!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads