The Student Room Group

Trying to buy a car, would you be annoyed if...

Trying to buy a car, would you be annoyed if you asked the seller when was good to come look at and potentially buy the car, and they replied...

"Will let you know, my only day off is Sunday this week, if it’s still for sale will organise something thanks"

I get people have jobs and such, but what do they mean 'If it's still for sale'? So they're too busy to show/sell it to me, but any other random yahoo can apparently come and buy it? :colonhash: Am I just being a bit tetchy or am I being treated like a 2nd class customer here?

Annoying, as I'm really keen on the car, but I now feel to maintain any power in a potential transaction I essentially need to walk away and give a similarly aloof impression. :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Original post by StriderHort
Trying to buy a car, would you be annoyed if you asked the seller when was good to come look at and potentially buy the car, and they replied...

"Will let you know, my only day off is Sunday this week, if it’s still for sale will organise something thanks"

I get people have jobs and such, but what do they mean 'If it's still for sale'? So they're too busy to show/sell it to me, but any other random yahoo can apparently come and buy it? :colonhash: Am I just being a bit tetchy or am I being treated like a 2nd class customer here?

Annoying, as I'm really keen on the car, but I now feel to maintain any power in a potential transaction I essentially need to walk away and give a similarly aloof impression. :s-smilie:

Maybe they have an expectation that someone's going to buy it without seeing it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply 2
Maybe another person has already been to see it, or someone they know might be interested. They might also be debating whether or not to actually sell, or it might depend on certain personal circumstances as to whether or not they decide to sell. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, and even if it does end up going to someone else, I'm sure you'll find another one you're keen on
oh yeah of course its *****y behaviour from someone who presumably wants your money but is seemingly willing to act like their car is made of gold

of course, they may be busy, but they could be a bit more courteous

nah I'd be annoyed too. maybe you should straight up tell them that you're really keen on the car, jic they give it to someone else.
Original post by IWMTom
Maybe they have an expectation that someone's going to buy it without seeing it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FB Marketplace, so there's no 'Buy it Now' option or direct purchase option given, I dunno if it's listed elsewhere right enough. Basically a classic car so no bugger would buy it unseen I think.

Original post by millsr
Maybe another person has already been to see it, or someone they know might be interested. They might also be debating whether or not to actually sell, or it might depend on certain personal circumstances as to whether or not they decide to sell. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, and even if it does end up going to someone else, I'm sure you'll find another one you're keen on

Possible, but I'd rather just be told that. This was after maybe an hour of back and forth with me asking service/history Q's and such. They'd just reduced their price by £250 so don't have much excuse to be still debating if they want to sell IMO without messing buyers about. But yeah, rare as they are I'd just need to walk away rather than chase the guy.

Original post by HoldThisL
oh yeah of course its *****y behaviour from someone who presumably wants your money but is seemingly willing to act like their car is made of gold

of course, they may be busy, but they could be a bit more courteous

This really, less of a feeling that i'm a second class buyer. :angry:
This really, less of a feeling that i'm a second class buyer. :angry:

yeah totally. the person's got no obligation to sell to you, and they're not like a waiter at a restaurant, but they should surely be friendly and reliable-sounding
Reply 7
Possible, but I'd rather just be told that. This was after maybe an hour of back and forth with me asking service/history Q's and such. They'd just reduced their price by £250 so don't have much excuse to be still debating if they want to sell IMO without messing buyers about. But yeah, rare as they are I'd just need to walk away rather than chase the guy.

Yeah in that case it was either just a poor choice of words or him being a bit of a prick considering you're the one who'll be paying him. I'd imagine it'll still be available on Sunday so although you have every right to be a bit pissed off about the comment I wouldn't dwell on it, at the end of the day if you want the car you might just have to deal with the seller dicking you around a bit
Original post by Qxi.xli
nah I'd be annoyed too. maybe you should straight up tell them that you're really keen on the car, jic they give it to someone else.

See part of me really wants to do that, basically bend over backwards to say "Oh please how can I buy your car!?!" :rolleyes:

I'd already stopped just short of offering/agreeing to buy it in principle and I'm glad I did. I feel like only way to maintain any pride or negotiating power now is to act like I don't care if he calls or not, and if he does, well, maybe I'm stepping out with another car that night and it would take a good deal to turn my head...
Yea,
If not the content of the sellers reply but the tone of it. Although it’s not rude enough to put me off continuing the dialogue.
Original post by millsr
Yeah in that case it was either just a poor choice of words or him being a bit of a prick considering you're the one who'll be paying him. I'd imagine it'll still be available on Sunday so although you have every right to be a bit pissed off about the comment I wouldn't dwell on it, at the end of the day if you want the car you might just have to deal with the seller dicking you around a bit

Yeah this is why I'm moaning about it here rather than to them really :tongue:

Just irked, I could have owned that car like tomorrow or even TODAY :redface:

Original post by mnot
Yea,
If not the content of the sellers reply but the tone of it. Although it’s not rude enough to put me off continuing the dialogue.

I suppose, well to me it is enough for me to leave the dialogue for now, he's told me both that he's busy all week and he'll get back to me, so I'd feel a bit desperate pursuing it. I need to also act like I have other, better options, as much as I still want the car :colonhash:

Like if I'd been asking stupid stuff or 'what's your best price?' or crap like that I'd get it, but I was being straight up.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah this is why I'm moaning about it here rather than to them really :tongue:

Just irked, I could have owned that car like tomorrow or even TODAY :redface:

I suppose, well to me it is enough for me to leave the dialogue for now, he's told me both that he's busy all week and he'll get back to me, so I'd feel a bit desperate pursuing it. I need to also act like I have other, better options, as much as I still want the car :colonhash:

Yea id definitely go round a couple dealerships, keep looking at fb, autotrader etc.

But if the car on offer is what your looking for, I wouldn’t tie your hands to moving on.
The swine DID sell it to someone else! :mad:

Ah well, it's only a thing, just a shame as it seemed a really nice example :bawling:
Reply 13
The swine DID sell it to someone else! :mad:

Ah well, it's only a thing, just a shame as it seemed a really nice example :bawling:

Perhaps they didn't fancy seeing their ex pride and joy bent across a lamp post?
Original post by IWMTom
Perhaps they didn't fancy seeing their ex pride and joy bent across a lamp post?

Are you crazy, who WOULDN''T want that? :tongue:

You're also not taking into account the car I fixed, or the car that nothing bad happened to.
Reply 15
Are you crazy, who WOULDN''T want that? :tongue:

You're also not taking into account the car I fixed, or the car that nothing bad happened to.

Mud sticks fella. Mud sticks.
Original post by IWMTom
Mud sticks fella. Mud sticks.

No it doesn't! It washes off, TAPE! Tape sticks!
Reply 17
No it doesn't! It washes off, TAPE! Tape sticks!

Like the Police tape they used to cordon off your... incident..
Original post by IWMTom

This.

It's an old fashion tactic of "Maybe it'll be around when I'm home Sunday but it's doubtful so better move fast!
Original post by nevershear
This.

It's an old fashion tactic of "Maybe it'll be around when I'm home Sunday but it's doubtful so better move fast!

They seemingly weren't giving me an option to buy it beforehand. He said he was busy till Sunday and would be in touch. I'd asked if he could meet me at a nearby train station, if he'd said he was too busy for THAT I'd have tried to make other plans but I just felt shut down and would have then felt awkward trying to pester them.

I'm a lot more upset about this than I suspect I have any right to be, I feel like capitalism just slapped me and money is worthless no matter how much you save :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest