The Student Room Group

How to meet people

I currently have to live at home since the pandemic (Will be moving out when i graduate masters and get a job). I have been working part time so far to cover some tuition fees but had to quit as i couldn't manage it alongside studies anymore. (I've lived on my own since 18 before people say what's wrong with me. but had to move back since everything went online and i struggled financially)

But we live in a rural village and there's mostly old people around, or else younger teens, but barely anyone my age. I don't know how to meet people but am really isolated. I'd rather have friends than dates but it's a lot easier to get dates online than make some decent friends. I've gone off apps a lot, is this the only way to meet people these days? I never seem able to meet people, even when i was at uni and had jobs it never seemed to happen that i clicked with someone. I also don't use social media much which means my phone is always quiet.

It feels like no coincidences or normal life meetings happen unless i sort of craft one with a profile and put in hours of swiping. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
I currently have to live at home since the pandemic (Will be moving out when i graduate masters and get a job). I have been working part time so far to cover some tuition fees but had to quit as i couldn't manage it alongside studies anymore. (I've lived on my own since 18 before people say what's wrong with me. but had to move back since everything went online and i struggled financially)

But we live in a rural village and there's mostly old people around, or else younger teens, but barely anyone my age. I don't know how to meet people but am really isolated. I'd rather have friends than dates but it's a lot easier to get dates online than make some decent friends. I've gone off apps a lot, is this the only way to meet people these days? I never seem able to meet people, even when i was at uni and had jobs it never seemed to happen that i clicked with someone. I also don't use social media much which means my phone is always quiet.

It feels like no coincidences or normal life meetings happen unless i sort of craft one with a profile and put in hours of swiping. Any advice?

I totally sympathise with you, I am in a similar position to you that I just never really clicked with any one, this became more apparent when going straight into the workplace from school. One of the best things I did was volunteering- it allowed me to meet with some like minded people, although I would call these people now friends, we still don’t really talk much!
Reply 2
To meet new people and make friends, you pretty much have to show up to a place frequently- thats how I see it. Like in school, you usually end up making friends because you see those people everyday. Now this can be in person, like at a club, library, cafe, whatever or it can even be online like watching the same twitch streamer everyday and talking in chat, or even messaging people right here on studentroom and eventually becoming friends and meeting up irl. I feel you though, it's been a lot harder making friends with all the covid stuff and even without covid, people never talk about just how lonely university can be. I hope things get better for you eventually, just know your not alone <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending