Should I choose EPQ or A level Further Maths

Watch
Thanquinho
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
My current subjects are A-Level Maths, A-Level Chemistry, A-Level Physics, AS Further Maths, and EPQ. I am doing an EPQ on architecture as I want to study it at Cambridge. Also, one of my other options is studying Maths at Oxford.

Should I drop EPQ to study the full Further Maths A-Level or carry on doing the EPQ and just stick to AS Further Maths?
Drogonmeister
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I just did normal maths but I completed and EPQ along with maths, physics, chemistry, and biology. The EPQ was probably my weakest part of A-level by far as I underestimated the work needed and the time required to fully complete it to the highest standard.

I have heard that further maths is extremely hard compared to other subjects but you seem more than capable of this ability to study it. If you think you need an EPQ for Architecture then do it, but a lot of universities do not really care and I think Cambridge is one of them. Nearly everyone who was offered Obridge offers in my year didn't do an EPQ although they were applying for different subjects.

I would look around further to see whether an EPQ would benefit your chances of an offer and go from there.
Hope some of this has helped.
Thanquinho
Rep:
?
The only problem with doing the full Further Maths course is the amount of lessons I have. Being difficult wouldn't necessarily be a problem because with practice it would get easier and my teacher is really good at explaining and goes through the spec fast, but I've been told I would only have about 5 hours of FM per fortnight.
And the EPQ would help me with what I want to do but I am not entirely sure I would achieve an A* for Cambridge to actually even look at it and I think I would have to put a lot more effort in it.
superbo9y
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Personally, I'd go with the EPQ. But that's just me -
Thanquinho
Rep:
?
(Original post by superbo9y)
Personally, I'd go with the EPQ. But that's just me -
Any reason why?
superbo9y
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No specific reason.
superbo9y
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sorry for the blunt answers, but yeah, like i said, that's just me, its just my personal preference
Last edited by superbo9y; 3 months ago
Thanquinho
Rep:
?
(Original post by superbo9y)
Sorry for the blunt answers, but yeah, like i said, that's just me, its just my personal preference
It's cool, thanks for your opinion
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Thanquinho)
My current subjects are A-Level Maths, A-Level Chemistry, A-Level Physics, AS Further Maths, and EPQ. I am doing an EPQ on architecture as I want to study it at Cambridge. Also, one of my other options is studying Maths at Oxford.

Should I drop EPQ to study the full Further Maths A-Level or carry on doing the EPQ and just stick to AS Further Maths?
If FM is available at your school then Oxford will expect you to take it for a maths degree so there's that.
PhantomMercy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Thanquinho)

If you want to do maths at oxford you'll be disadvantaged if you don't take A Level further maths if your school offers it (like if you didn't take it for A Level) to the point where they may reject you.

For architecture, doing an EPQ on the subject will be extremely beneficial as they like to see your interest. This along with an architecture portfolio will make your application really strong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.74%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.06%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
42.13%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.03%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads