Prince Harry's choice of fancy dress watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Yes.
    elaborate on what you thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TakemetoAvalon)
    It doesn't matter - there are books and many documented accounts... some people. :rolleyes:
    Well done for editing your post in time..

And I dont think books and documented accounts really give you any emotion. Its just another piece of history for some people.

ReputationRep:
    Well done for editing your post in time..

And I dont think books and documented accounts really give you any emotion. Its just another piece of history for some people.

Lol.. no one was looking apart from you hopefully

At least the books can document what is there though - for the people who haven't been. Books are enough to make me cry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    elaborate on what you thought
    Well it was very strange and shocking to see the railway lines and the watch towers, and the barbed wires for real, after seeing it on television and in books. It's so much different when you are actually there. And then seeing all the hair and cases...that was very emotional. It's just horrible and before I went I didn't feel so shocked by the Holocaust.

6 million Jews is a lot to be killed and I never realised the amount until I saw crowds and crowds of Jews walking to Auschwitz..and there was only about 8,000. And it made me think how many 6 million really is.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.. no one was looking apart from you hopefully

At least the books can document what is there though - for the people who haven't been. Books are enough to make me cry about it.
    Yeah, well books can be enough but for some people it just doesnt sink in.

ReputationRep:
    I really doubt he wore it as a statement... A lot of people wear, um, questionable outfits to fancy dress parties. And Harry isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

But then a lot of people aren't senior royals.

Bad judgement (especially so close to the Holocaust memorial day), but he's not done any real harm. Not enough to warrant his army career being ended before it's even started.

Though you really would think that someone would have tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out that his costume choice maybe wasn't the best.

ReputationRep:
    Well it was very strange and shocking to see the railway lines and the watch towers, and the barbed wires for real, after seeing it on television and in books. It's so much different when you are actually there. And then seeing all the hair and cases...that was very emotional. It's just horrible and before I went I didn't feel so shocked by the Holocaust.

6 million Jews is a lot to be killed and I never realised the amount until I saw crowds and crowds of Jews walking to Auschwitz..and there was only about 8,000. And it made me think how many 6 million really is.
    shows what we were and still are capable of

ReputationRep:

Visiting Auschwitz doesnt really have anything to do with this..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Visiting Auschwitz doesnt really have anything to do with this..
    Well it does because the point was he wouldnt have done it if he had visited cos he might have realised how bad it is. So now lets change the topic back.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well it does because the point was he wouldnt have done it if he had visited cos he might have realised how bad it is. So now lets change the topic back.. :rolleyes:
    How do you know he wouldnt of done it? I dont see how if he had visited Auschwitz it would have changed anything..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    How do you know he wouldnt of done it? I dont see how if he had visited Auschwitz it would have changed anything..
    He might have been, I dont know. But by visiting he would see how bad it really was and would actually sink in. Then he would have thought twice about doing it. Im not saying he really really really should go and visit, but im saying someone so important should have more sense than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I really doubt he wore it as a statement... A lot of people wear, um, questionable outfits to fancy dress parties. And Harry isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

But then a lot of people aren't senior royals.

Bad judgement (especially so close to the Holocaust memorial day), but he's not done any real harm. Not enough to warrant his army career being ended before it's even started.

Though you really would think that someone would have tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out that his costume choice maybe wasn't the best.
    He probably didn't mean it to be a statement (but it was, whichever way you look at it). He was just being an arse.

ReputationRep:
    When you're in bed tonight, sleep with the happy thought that Harry bought that swastika and uniform with your money.

Or maybe his Dad had it under his bed all that time

ReputationRep:
    Auschwitz is very relevant because its the commemoration of its liberation 60 years ago.. so his costume which was already in very bad taste was unfortunately timed aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Really I think people are over-reacting a bit. Lots of people wear costumes of famous people to fancy dress parties, and whatever else Hitler and the Nazis were, they were certainly that. He was probably making fun of the Nazis rather than expressing sympathy for them. Someone from my year came in dressed as Mussolini for Children in Need, and there was no uproar over that. The Italins may not have killed as many people as Hitler, and they may not have singled out the Jews, but they still murdered people. The point is, it was in bad taste, but if it had been anyone other than a Royal wearing it, nobody would really have cared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Really I think people are over-reacting a bit. Lots of people wear costumes of famous people to fancy dress parties, and whatever else Hitler and the Nazis were, they were certainly that. He was probably making fun of the Nazis rather than expressing sympathy for them. Someone from my year came in dressed as Mussolini for Children in Need, and there was no uproar over that. The Italins may not have killed as many people as Hitler, and they may not have singled out the Jews, but they still murdered people. The point is, it was in bad taste, but if it had been anyone other than a Royal wearing it, nobody would really have cared.
    Well obviously not, the royal family are spose to set examples and to go around dressed as a Nazi is bounddddd to cause an uproar.

ReputationRep:
    He was just being an arse.
    Exactly.

So why all the uproar? there are a lot of arses in this world...

ReputationRep:
    was anyone offended by that comedian waering an osama bin laden costume?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest.. even if an "ordinary" person had worn a Nazi uniform, people would still be alarmed. Well I would be anyway. Maybe the black SS uniform without such a prominent swastika would have gone down slightly better.. if he really did have to go as a Nazi for some peculiar reason. But now I'm just being silly.

was anyone offended by that comedian waering an osama bin laden costume?
    Somehow few other costumes can have such a sinister resonance as a Nazi one... I mean if he dressed up as Bolshevik people wouldnt be that bothered even though they commited terrible crimes too.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously not, the royal family are spose to set examples and to go around dressed as a Nazi is bounddddd to cause an uproar.
    I don't see why we need them anyway. It's not like they even do anything useful.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.