i need help!!!!!
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m currently a year 12 history student and I’ve got my end of year exams coming up soon, and I was wondering what’s the best way to revise history. I understand the content but I find it’s a lot to remember - any advice?

Also I’m doing Edexcel Britain transformed 1918-79 and USA challenge and conformity 1955-92. If anyone has any notes on these or websites that are useful to use please let me know!
A.m.b.e.r
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also study history but different topics. Usually, I pick a topic from the contents of the textbook and just spider diagram everything i can remember from that topic. Once I'm done, I go to those pages and add anything that I couldn't remember in red pen. My friend also takes history and she uses Quizlet and depending on what topics you do there might also be some Seneca Learning resources.
archere
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by i need help!!!!!)
I’m currently a year 12 history student and I’ve got my end of year exams coming up soon, and I was wondering what’s the best way to revise history. I understand the content but I find it’s a lot to remember - any advice?

Also I’m doing Edexcel Britain transformed 1918-79 and USA challenge and conformity 1955-92. If anyone has any notes on these or websites that are useful to use please let me know!
Flashcards, flashcards, flashcards! Use flashcards to learn key dates and key individuals. Quizlet is really good if you don’t want to hand write loads of flashcards....and can be accessed from your phone in any spare 5 mins u may have. A little bit of quizlet here and there everyday (whilst in the car, waiting for dinner etc.) can really boost how much content you remember! Make sure you know the causes, events and short/long term impacts of key events and can recall these with ease. It may seem time-consuming and boring but practicing essays is the only way you will be able to recreate what the exam will be like. The more essays and exam practice you do the more relaxed and confident you will feel when it comes to the real exam. If you don’t want to write a whole essay try writing out past questions and coming up with a detailed plan. At first this may take 15 mins but the more you practice, the quicker you will get. More often than not questions are very similar and aspects of an essay plan can be ‘transferred’ to another question. There are only so many questions they can ask so the more essay plans you have created, the more confident you can be in the exam that something you have already planned will be useful. Creating a folder of these essay plans is really beneficial, especially if you want to look at them the night before the exam without stressing yourself out over the content. Once you know the content you need to finesse your exam technique and the only way of doing this in history is essay planning/writing. You will begin to see common themes within questions (e.g class divisions, religion, key individuals, social/political factors) which will give your essay plans an added dimension. It’s not about proving you know massive amounts of content because most likely everyone in that exam will have revised the content and know it well.....it’s about proving you can use snippets of content to argue your point effectively which ultimately comes down to essay technique. Hope this helps, good luck!
i need help!!!!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by A.m.b.e.r)
I also study history but different topics. Usually, I pick a topic from the contents of the textbook and just spider diagram everything i can remember from that topic. Once I'm done, I go to those pages and add anything that I couldn't remember in red pen. My friend also takes history and she uses Quizlet and depending on what topics you do there might also be some Seneca Learning resources.
Perfect thank you so much!
i need help!!!!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by archere)
Flashcards, flashcards, flashcards! Use flashcards to learn key dates and key individuals. Quizlet is really good if you don’t want to hand write loads of flashcards....and can be accessed from your phone in any spare 5 mins u may have. A little bit of quizlet here and there everyday (whilst in the car, waiting for dinner etc.) can really boost how much content you remember! Make sure you know the causes, events and short/long term impacts of key events and can recall these with ease. It may seem time-consuming and boring but practicing essays is the only way you will be able to recreate what the exam will be like. The more essays and exam practice you do the more relaxed and confident you will feel when it comes to the real exam. If you don’t want to write a whole essay try writing out past questions and coming up with a detailed plan. At first this may take 15 mins but the more you practice, the quicker you will get. More often than not questions are very similar and aspects of an essay plan can be ‘transferred’ to another question. There are only so many questions they can ask so the more essay plans you have created, the more confident you can be in the exam that something you have already planned will be useful. Creating a folder of these essay plans is really beneficial, especially if you want to look at them the night before the exam without stressing yourself out over the content. Once you know the content you need to finesse your exam technique and the only way of doing this in history is essay planning/writing. You will begin to see common themes within questions (e.g class divisions, religion, key individuals, social/political factors) which will give your essay plans an added dimension. It’s not about proving you know massive amounts of content because most likely everyone in that exam will have revised the content and know it well.....it’s about proving you can use snippets of content to argue your point effectively which ultimately comes down to essay technique. Hope this helps, good luck!
That is so incredibly helpful thank you so much I genuinely really appreciate this I will defo do all of this during year 12 summer - made me feel so better about all this thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads