Ammanxco
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I’m interested in applying for PPE at Oxford. I currently study a level maths, English lit and history, predicted A*AA. My GCSE grades however, seem a little low for Oxford standards- they are: english lit-9, English language-9, history-9, biology-8, chemistry-7,physics-7,maths-7 and psychology-7. Do you think they will look too low against other applicants?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
TSR PPE article - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni.../ppe-at-oxford
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
yes, these are low for ppe, probably below average. it's worth applying, but you should be ready for a rejection
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Not too low, no. Remember that GCSE grades are contextualised, such that they consider your grades compared to other people from your school. Nonetheless, the number of A*/9/8s is below average and they do value GCSEs. This means you may need to perform better on other parts of the application - should you do this, it would account for any disadvantage those GCSEs pose.
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Wow I didnt know grades would be considered to low. So what grades are considered sufficient then?
azby1098
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by tej3141)
Wow I didnt know grades would be considered to low. So what grades are considered sufficient then?
your grades are 4 A*s 4 As, considering you attended a low performing secondary school, for certain subjects with a less GCSE focused admissions process, you’d be fine! however, ppe is incredibly competitive and therefore focuses on the TSA score and your contextualised GCSE grades.
username5737602
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by azby1098)
your grades are 4 A*s 4 As, considering you attended a low performing secondary school, for certain subjects with a less GCSE focused admissions process, you’d be fine! however, ppe is incredibly competitive and therefore focuses on the TSA score and your contextualised GCSE grades.
Lucky I'm not applying for ppe then. But,from what you've said,I should be good
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by tej3141)
Lucky I'm not applying for ppe then. But,from what you've said,I should be good
gcses are weighed up differently for each subject, Medicine having the strictest measures and PPE/Econ management being next
OxFossil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. The link also describes the relative importance of different components of an application.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...2%202.pdf.html
username5737602
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. The link also describes the relative importance of different components of an application.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...2%202.pdf.html
Damn. That's high. I've got sufficient grades but I never knew they were that strict
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.41%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.7%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.03%
I need help with my personal statement (75)
41.9%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (42)
23.46%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.68%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.82%

Watched Threads