The Student Room Group

What does being LGBT+ mean to you?

:pride:June 2021 is Pride month on TSR :pride:

In the midst of the festivities it can be nice to reflect on what this means for us and the meaning being queer has for us :smile:

For me personally, being LGBT+ is both a big and a small part of who I am. It can be very meaningful - I felt incredible wearing a rainbow badge on placement - but it's also something I wish didn't have to be a big deal. Without getting too sappy, it's also brought me some of the closest friendships I've had, with people with whom I can be myself. Whether I like it or not, my queerness is going to have a big impact on my life. It's exciting :heart:

What about you? I've word vomited onto this TSR thread, and I'd love to hear what you think as well :smile:

Polite reminder that this isn't the place to debate sexuality or gender. That's the Debate and Current Affairs forum!

Pride 2021 hub:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7034240
It's like a giant community of people all together, who all want the same thing.

Like cowboys on a ranch, big muscular hot hard cowboys, all ready to dance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ram Ranch
It's like a giant community of people all together, who all want the same thing.

Like cowboys on a range, big muscular hot hard cowboys

I disagree
LGBT means something different to everyone
It's a part of our identities but not the sole determinant
Like people still have differing political and social standings etc
Original post by WazzWazz98
I disagree
LGBT means something different to everyone
It's a part of our identities but not the sole determinant
Like people still have differing political and social standings etc

I guess the cowboys might have differing opinions on certain issues, but a common purpose unites them

Something very deep and intimate
Original post by becausethenight

For me personally, being LGBT+ is both a big and a small part of who I am. It can be very meaningful - I felt incredible wearing a rainbow badge on placement - but it's also something I wish didn't have to be a big deal. Without getting too sappy, it's also brought me some of the closest friendships I've had, with people with whom I can be myself. Whether I like it or not, my queerness is going to have a big impact on my life. It's exciting :heart:

This resonates so much with how feel too. Like, obviously it's a big part of who I am because the person I have fallen in love with is the same sex as me and therefore a big part of my life is LGBT+. But also, it is one part of my life still, it's certainly not the only thing about me :smile:
Reply 5
i'm not really sure what it means to me tbh; i don't think about it much. i guess an opportunity to change the understanding of what's considered 'normal', to change the stigma, sterotypes and misconceptions about what it looks like to be gay or genderqueer, and to support members of the LGBTQ community who have faced discrimination from their families or whomever. indeed, the UK has come a long way in terms of rights for LGBTQ people, but let's be real here: we still got work to do :dumbells:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
This resonates so much with how feel too. Like, obviously it's a big part of who I am because the person I have fallen in love with is the same sex as me and therefore a big part of my life is LGBT+. But also, it is one part of my life still, it's certainly not the only thing about me :smile:

Yes it's a weird thing like that, so I am glad I took the time to reflect :smile:
For me a big thing this year is being queer and being 'professional' - how those two identities interact and how I can see them as supporting each other rather than mutually exclusive! As a speech and language therapist is that something you've ever thought about? (no worries if not or if it's personal ofc)
Original post by Joleee
i'm not really sure what it means to me tbh; i don't think about it much. i guess an opportunity to change the understanding of what's considered 'normal', to change the stigma, sterotypes and misconceptions about what it looks like to be gay or genderqueer, and to support members of the LGBTQ community who have faced discrimination from their families or whomever. indeed, the UK has come a long way in terms of rights for LGBTQ people, but let's be real here: we still got work to do :dumbells:

Fingers crossed all that happens! Have to say the UK at the moment is not giving me confidence but I should try and be more positive :lol:
I actually agree with you on the not thinking about it much, I hadn't thought about it until starting medical school and suddenly having to think "wait, is this professional, what can I let slide and what is actually important to me".
Reply 8
Fingers crossed all that happens! Have to say the UK at the moment is not giving me confidence but I should try and be more positive :lol:
I actually agree with you on the not thinking about it much, I hadn't thought about it until starting medical school and suddenly having to think "wait, is this professional, what can I let slide and what is actually important to me".

that makes total sense! i think most professions, probably, you have to think about your gender expression if you're queer because the 'norm' is heteronormative (is that the right word for it? :tongue:). i wonder how you reconcile that if you're a minority and there's a certain expectation of heteronormative professionalism (genuine question and maybe too tough to answer :getmecoat:).

tbh the biggest misconception for me i wish would Go away is the idea the LGBTQ community is one giant person. like, you all believe the same things, act the same way, uphold the stereotypes, all the same politics - instead of treating LGBTQ people as individuals just like you would treat non-LGBTQ. i mean i have lots of LGBTQ friends, worked with lots of LGBTQ clients and past employers: they all don't act/look/believe the same way :nah: /rant :redface:
Yes it's a weird thing like that, so I am glad I took the time to reflect :smile:
For me a big thing this year is being queer and being 'professional' - how those two identities interact and how I can see them as supporting each other rather than mutually exclusive! As a speech and language therapist is that something you've ever thought about? (no worries if not or if it's personal ofc)

Ooh good question. I've not thought about it that much I don't think... I guess in general having that deeper level of awareness of diversity of families can be really useful. I remember when I'd not that long qualified, I was working with a child with two mums and it made me feel really happy and optimistic about having children in a same sex relationship in the future :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joleee

tbh the biggest misconception for me i wish would Go away is the idea the LGBTQ community is one giant person. like, you all believe the same things, act the same way, uphold the stereotypes, all the same politics - instead of treating LGBTQ people as individuals just like you would treat non-LGBTQ. i mean i have lots of LGBTQ friends, worked with lots of LGBTQ clients and past employers: they all don't act/look/believe the same way :nah: /rant :redface:

Oh my... this! It's awful seeing how many biphobic, transphobic etc. people there are in the LGBTQ community :grumble: I've not come across this too much in person but online it's just... ew :redface:
Original post by Joleee
that makes total sense! i think most professions, probably, you have to think about your gender expression if you're queer because the 'norm' is heteronormative (is that the right word for it? :tongue:). i wonder how you reconcile that if you're a minority and there's a certain expectation of heteronormative professionalism (genuine question and maybe too tough to answer :getmecoat:).

Yeah exactly! In medicine especially there can be this feeling that professionalism is kind of about erasing your own identity so you're not "imposing" anything on patients who might not like it or be challenged by it. On the one hand I get that, because sometimes there's no point challenging things, but equally I think that mindset forgets that medics are people too and we can't all be white, cis, straight etc. And visible representation can go a long way for patients.

On work experience once I was told that I should wear makeup because it "shows respect for the patients" which was quite shocking and odd for me (especially as I actually was wearing some makeup to cover spots, just not "feminine makeup").

It's genuinely weird how hypervigilant it can make people, especially if there's something you can't change that's already 'different' (like very short/long hair, someone's ethnicity etc). You do hear horror stories like people being told their shirts are 'too flamboyant' or their hair is too short.

Sorry this got a bit long :colondollar:

:sadnod: It so leads to the horrifically irritating "You can't be queer, you look like such a Nice Girl TM" too :facepalm: And "oh but my one gay friend said it was OK so...."
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Ooh good question. I've not thought about it that much I don't think... I guess in general having that deeper level of awareness of diversity of families can be really useful. I remember when I'd not that long qualified, I was working with a child with two mums and it made me feel really happy and optimistic about having children in a same sex relationship in the future :smile:

That's really sweet :heart:
We took a history from a lesbian patient on placement and it was really refreshing to see the other (straight, AFAIK) medics as well get excited about her upcoming wedding! Little stories that make quite a big difference.
That's really sweet :heart:
We took a history from a lesbian patient on placement and it was really refreshing to see the other (straight, AFAIK) medics as well get excited about her upcoming wedding! Little stories that make quite a big difference.

PRSOM! Aww that's so lovely :love:
Reply 14
Yeah exactly! In medicine especially there can be this feeling that professionalism is kind of about erasing your own identity so you're not "imposing" anything on patients who might not like it or be challenged by it. On the one hand I get that, because sometimes there's no point challenging things, but equally I think that mindset forgets that medics are people too and we can't all be white, cis, straight etc. And visible representation can go a long way for patients.

On work experience once I was told that I should wear makeup because it "shows respect for the patients" which was quite shocking and odd for me (especially as I actually was wearing some makeup to cover spots, just not "feminine makeup":wink:.

It's genuinely weird how hypervigilant it can make people, especially if there's something you can't change that's already 'different' (like very short/long hair, someone's ethnicity etc). You do hear horror stories like people being told their shirts are 'too flamboyant' or their hair is too short.

Sorry this got a bit long :colondollar:

well, erasing your own identity if you're a minority that doesn't conform to heteronormative gender expectations (sorry, if that sounds depressing; that's just my own take on it :ninja:).

are there ways you can and still do express your gender identity in your current position besides being able to wear a Pride badge on your shirt?

being told you should wear makeup, wtf :lolwut:

:sadnod: It so leads to the horrifically irritating "You can't be queer, you look like such a Nice Girl TM" too :facepalm: And "oh but my one gay friend said it was OK so...."

:rofl: this made me laugh out loud! :toofunny:
Original post by burstingbubbles
prsom! Aww that's so lovely :love:

prsom ^ 2 :biggrin:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Joleee
well, erasing your own identity if you're a minority that doesn't conform to heteronormative gender expectations (sorry, if that sounds depressing; that's just my own take on it :ninja:).

No I think that take is correct.
What I found "interesting" (and depressing lol) was other students feeling the same way - about wearing culturally specific clothing, being openly religious, even being "too girly"! For example our trust has only now produced guidance allowing women to wear the hijab in operating theatres, so previously a lot of students were told they couldn't for infection control reasons (which is relevant but you can make allowances for it, like for men with beards)

are there ways you can and still do express your gender identity in your current position besides being able to wear a Pride badge on your shirt?

My hair is quite short and I tend to dress in a masculine-leaning way (ie 'male' shirt and trousers) I also have some pretty fancy and flamboyant shirts that I do like :biggrin:

Pronouns are tricky because I've had a lot of my (cis) friends ask why I don't just be more upfront with it, but it's pretty awkward especially because as a student practically everyone 'outranks' you so you can't really aggressively be like "I'm going to do pronouns now". I don't think a lot of the older consultants would get it at all (although maybe I'm being too down on them) :tongue:

I have a pronoun badge but I've been too nervous to wear it :colondollar:

being told you should wear makeup, wtf :lolwut:

:rofl: this made me laugh out loud! :toofunny:

:lol:
It just means being me. Always has and always will. I don’t see myself as any different based on my sexuality or gender and to be honest, it’s quite a minimal part of my life.
Original post by Ram Ranch
I guess the cowboys might have differing opinions on certain issues, but a common purpose unites them

Something very deep and intimate

lmaooo
I'm bisexual And tbh it doesn't mean much to me. I feel like because I have liked guys way more than I've liked girls, I've liked maybe 4 girls and like 10000 guys, I haven't felt the struggle. I never felt less because of my bisexuality. Maybe It would really hit me If I got into a gay relationship.
I've come out to all my friends except 1. I just feel like it's normal. Liking girls is normal. I most likely will end up with a guy than a girl. People should be able to express themselves in any way they like. It's okay to be LGBT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending