The Student Room Group

Hard lesson learnt, minor car bump has gone through insurance, what next?

I made a post on here yesterday about a minor car bump at start stop traffic yesterday, I was at fault, other driver was happy to go private, I informed that I would mention this to my insurer for information purposes, which she said was fine and would validate my no claims request, after my insurance contacted her, she seemed to get a change of mind so had gone down the insurance route, doubt we'll speak again, but we clarified we have the same story, yes I was at fault, but not like it was a major accident, but after her 'Mechanic Dad' had a look, a few thing's were wrong, I was happy to stay private, but clearly she wasn't.

Anyways I accept it, I've already had a look and it only rises by £100 with this claim etc, I think I just commonly see about write off car claims which is why I was really panicking, I just thought that any claim automatically shoots up your renewal quotes.

I said before, but im 21 and just entered my 4th year of driving, no previous claims and got 1 year protected no claims on insurance for this year. I have a couple questions 1) How does protected no claims actually work? 2) I'm not making any claims, but I assume that doesnr really matter for much? 3) What actually happens next, cause last I heard was her apologising for doing insurance, but she 'had no choice'.

My insurance for this year, which I paid in March for a 2010 plate seat Ibibza was £570, quotes are showing up with 0 years NCD alongside 1 claim, which I guess I'll have to do for a few years as £650ish with £150 compulsory excess and that's it, yeah having a claim against you is not great, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought it was.
1) How does protected no claims actually work?

i think you only get protected no claims after 5 years of driving, i think it basically means that insurance companies can’t penalise your for having an accident either it be your fault or not.

2) I'm not making any claims, but I assume that doesnr really matter for much? if your car has damage i would make a claim so you can get it fixed, if there’s no damage don’t claim

3) What actually happens next, cause last I heard was her apologising for doing insurance, but she 'had no choice'.

she probably claimed to get compo for ‘whiplash’ nice easy £1000. the insurance companies usually sort it between themselves and will pay out
If you have one year of protected no claims then you still have one years no claims. If you make a claim on insurance again within the year then you lose your no claims completely.

You already have a claim against your insurance - if your car is damaged then you may as well claim to have it fixed because it won't effect anything now.

Your car insurance company will sort it all out. You don't have to do anything more unless they request something from you.
Reply 3
Original post by one_two_three
You already have a claim against your insurance - if your car is damaged then you may as well claim to have it fixed because it won't effect anything now.

Well, not quite.

Any claim they make will increase the total claim cost, and they'll be required to cough up their excess.......
(edited 2 years ago)
It sounds like the OP is already going to be coughing up the excess as the other party has decided to go through insurance as there was more to the damage than it first appeared.
Reply 5
Original post by one_two_three
It sounds like the OP is already going to be coughing up the excess as the other party has decided to go through insurance as there was more to the damage than it first appeared.

That's not how insurance works.
Original post by IWMTom
That's not how insurance works.

I hate London. I have 3 years NCB now and my insurance is still over a grand.

Also isn't that excess only payable (providing it isn't all sections) if you claim for the damage on your own car.
Reply 7
Original post by nevershear
Also isn't that excess only payable (providing it isn't all sections) if you claim for the damage on your own car.

Yup, exactly my point.
Original post by IWMTom
Yup, exactly my point.

Ye times changed lad, only had that 3k AS excess for 2 years I'm actually on normal insurance now I finally caught up, from £3200 when I started to £1200 now, but it's sheila's wheels lol. Never had to pay that access I was a good boy. First year ye, wasn't perfect but I grew up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending