Can i study my A levels in one year as a scholar in a boarding school?

Watch
evakrstik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I got a scholarship to study my A levels in a boarding school in the UK for two years, but I would like to finish them in one instead of two. So I'm wondering whether it is possible for an international student to do so, and if so who do I talk to or what do I do? (The head of the admission, the headmaster?)
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What a levels are they and why are you in a rush to finish them?
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by evakrstik)
I got a scholarship to study my A levels in a boarding school in the UK for two years, but I would like to finish them in one instead of two. So I'm wondering whether it is possible for an international student to do so, and if so who do I talk to or what do I do? (The head of the admission, the headmaster?)
An A Level scholarship of the kind you are describing will be a 2 year scholarship.

You need to prepare for two years of study. Why have you thought of asking whether you can do the course in one year?

Which A Levels are you intending to take?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No, it won't be possible to complete in a single year. The entire school structure is based around a two year programme and they can't and won't change that for one pupil.
evakrstik
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
What a levels are they and why are you in a rush to finish them?
Well, I probably will do maths, psychology and one more. I just want to finish as soon as possible so that I can have a gap year and of personal reasons.

So is it possible for me because ill be moving to the UK in September to my boarding school and can I ask them if its possible.
evakrstik
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
No, it won't be possible to complete in a single year. The entire school structure is based around a two year programme and they can't and won't change that for one pupil.
Really? What about a year and a semester is that more probable?
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well, I probably will do maths, psychology and one more. I just want to finish as soon as possible so that I can have a gap year and of personal reasons.

So is it possible for me because ill be moving to the UK in September to my boarding school and can I ask them if its possible.
Don't even try to broach this with the school. You are extremely lucky to have been offered a 2 Year A Level scholarship at a boarding school, so don't do anything which might prevent you from taking it up.

Can you hint at what the personal reasons might be?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Really? What about a year and a semester is that more probable?
No, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever. Exams are at a fixed time of year and the whole school structure is based around it. It's simply not possible.
evakrstik
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Don't even try to broach this with the school. You are extremely lucky to have been offered a 2 Year A Level scholarship at a boarding school, so don't do anything which might prevent you from taking it up.

Can you hint at what the personal reasons might be?
I just have to get out of there because i want to be with someone as soon as possible.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I just have to get out of there because i want to be with someone as soon as possible.
No, that isn't a good enough reason.

Who is this someone? If he/she has any sense, he/she will tell you how important it is that you make the most of your scholarship, which is such a wonderful and rare opportunity.
evakrstik
Rep:
?
No, that isn't a good enough reason.

Who is this someone? If he/she has any sense, he/she will tell you how important it is that you make the most of your scholarship, which is such a wonderful and rare opportunity.
Yes, I know but it's a bit more complicated and I just would love to finish my exams as soon as a can.
And he is a very important person to me.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes, I know but it's a bit more complicated and I just would love to finish my exams as soon as a can.
And he is a very important person to me.
You need to spend two years on studying for your A Levels and if this person is worth being with, he will say that too and will encourage you.

I'm assuming that you are female, by the way.

A guy who encourages a young woman who has a 2 year A Level scholarship at a boarding school to bail out halfway is a guy worth avoiding.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You can't do it. Exams are just once a year (apart from retakes which you might end up needing if you try to rush through a 2 year course in 1 year).
Teachers have lesson plans to deliver the courses over 2 years - they are not going to change all that for one student
evakrstik
Rep:
?
You need to spend two years on studying for your A Levels and if this person is worth being with, he will say that too and will encourage you.

I'm assuming that you are female, by the way.

A guy who encourages a young woman who has a 2 year A Level scholarship at a boarding school to bail out halfway is a guy worth avoiding.
Yes, I am female, and I know he will never do that but he doesn't know about it yet. Well about the 2 years because I told him that I'm going for only one.
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes, I am female, and I know he will never do that but he doesn't know about it yet. Well about the 2 years because I told him that I'm going for only one.
That's ridiculous.

You won't be allowed to take the A Level exam in the summer of your Lower Sixth Year and if you leave then, you will be leaving without A Levels and that is really bad news for your career.
evakrstik
Rep:
?
That's ridiculous.

You won't be allowed to take the A Level exam in the summer of your Lower Sixth Year and if you leave then, you will be leaving without A Levels and that is really bad news for your career.
Alright, well i will tell him and we just have to wait a bit longer but it okay because after that ill be with him forever
username5737602
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well technically it is possible to learn the content in a year but only if you got like all 9s/A* in gcse or equivalent. But the logistics behind it would just be long for you and the teachers.plus it's just unnecessary - it's best not to ruin the chance at a scholarship
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads