RE - 9
Art & design - 6
turkish - 9
History - 8
Spanish - 8
Mathematics - 5
Combined science - 7-7
> did DOFE

I’ve only recently decided I want to do law so I’ve missed out on programmes that were offered at the beginning do the year. However in year 11 I had work experience in the corporate law firm Freshfields. I also have work experience with slaughter and may scheduled for this summer. I also have summer school arranged with Kings for law. Additionally, I’ve applied for Clifford Chance Access and feel like I’ll get in (hopefully).

My A levels are predicted ABB right now but I know i can get A*AA at the very least. I am also doing an EPQ.

I feel like my GCSEs are not as good as what you would expect from an oxbridge applicant to have so I am a little hesitant to apply. Please let me know what you think or give me tips on how I could improve my application! It would be much appreciated!!
studenthk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by E.ky)
Do you think I have a shot?
GCSE
english lit - 8
english lang - 8
RE - 9
Art & design - 6
turkish - 9
History - 8
Spanish - 8
Mathematics - 5
Combined science - 7-7
> did DOFE

I’ve only recently decided I want to do law so I’ve missed out on programmes that were offered at the beginning do the year. However in year 11 I had work experience in the corporate law firm Freshfields. I also have work experience with slaughter and may scheduled for this summer. I also have summer school arranged with Kings for law. Additionally, I’ve applied for Clifford Chance Access and feel like I’ll get in (hopefully).

My A levels are predicted ABB right now but I know i can get A*AA at the very least. I am also doing an EPQ.

I feel like my GCSEs are not as good as what you would expect from an oxbridge applicant to have so I am a little hesitant to apply. Please let me know what you think or give me tips on how I could improve my application! It would be much appreciated!!
Things like work experience are not of paramount importance and will rarely make a difference in your application. What matters is your predicted grades, mark on the CLT, and interview performance, the latter of which is probably the most significant. In complete honesty, your GCSEs are not the most competitive (but luckily GCSEs aren't THAT important), and your current ABB would not be sufficient to meet the minimum for law, which is A*AA. Even if you do manage to get A*AA, I should give you a word of warning. This year many of my mates who were predicted A*A*A didn't even get an interview. If you do make it to the interview stage, a strong interview may be able to offset the weaker grades. All in all, you must take this into account and weigh up whether your prospects of getting in are worth the earlier application date (i.e. October deadline rather than January) and the amount of preparation that will need to be conducted for the interview and CLT, when you may not even end up receiving an interview. If you are willing to put in the time and effort (which may all go to waste), then go for it. You have 4 other UCAS choices just in case, after all.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by E.ky)
Top Unis will not be interested in work-experience - they will want to see evidence of your intellectual aptitude for Law as an academic subject.

Look at these suggestions for super-curriculars from Cambridge https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....uggestions.pdf, and you also might like to watch some of these podcast lectures by leading academics to give you some examples of 'bigger ideas' to discuss in your PS https://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures/?subject=law
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by E.ky)
GCSE
english lit - 8
english lang - 8
RE - 9
Art & design - 6
turkish - 9
History - 8
Spanish - 8
Mathematics - 5
Combined science - 7-7
> did DOFE

If you don’t apply you’ll never get in
scarycocopopz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by E.ky)
GCSE
english lit - 8
english lang - 8
RE - 9
Art & design - 6
turkish - 9
History - 8
Spanish - 8
Mathematics - 5
Combined science - 7-7
> did DOFE

damnn damnnn its like we the same person only I've done all of those work experiences but not fresh fields, also how was the watson glacer test for CC, i think a slight issue is that your grade for maths is below what a few law firms want which is a 6 but shouldn't be too much of an issue, i have the same summer school arranged for kcl and I'm hoping its going to be good. i would say look at a few court case files and then come to a judgement. learn about commercial awareness that is also important.
E.ky
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by scarycocopopz)
damnn damnnn its like we the same person only I've done all of those work experiences but not fresh fields, also how was the watson glacer test for CC, i think a slight issue is that your grade for maths is below what a few law firms want which is a 6 but shouldn't be too much of an issue, i have the same summer school arranged for kcl and I'm hoping its going to be good. i would say look at a few court case files and then come to a judgement. learn about commercial awareness that is also important.
CC said they won’t be giving out the results this year but I did do well enough to get into the scheme!! honestly, I think the actual test was easier than the practise test they have on their website. also i decided not to apply for oxbridge as i ended up being predicted AAA which means that i don’t have the entry requirements for the london unis (which I want to apply for more than oxbridge). anyways, for KCL were you in stream A or B?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
13.83%
I need help researching courses (8)
8.51%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.38%
I need help with my personal statement (38)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
24.47%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.26%

Watched Threads