Are the notes above £20 rare?

Watch
Anonymusy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I've only ever seen them years ago when they were paper and weren't mine. I've never actually got one from anywhere. Do they even exist?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I saw a 50 note in person for the first time when I was 26. Not seen one since :lol:
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
had the odd one as a present from family members because the rarity of them made them kind of novel, of course, you take them straight to the bank
a.planet
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
yeah they are i think. I’ve seen £50 notes before but very rarely....
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The more you handle cash the more you see 50's and 100s, past a point they're just more efficient to carry and count.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymusy)
I've only ever seen them years ago when they were paper and weren't mine. I've never actually got one from anywhere. Do they even exist?
They're not rare, but most people won't generally use them because (a) it takes more effort to get hold of them, and (b) people aren't as familiar with them because they're not generally used.

It's a bit of a circular problem. People are reluctant to accept them, because they're not familiar with them because they don't show up in general circulation. But it's precisely because they're not in general circulation that people aren't familiar with them.

Consider the £20 note. You won't get it in change because you generally aren't paying with higher value notes. But you get them all the time from cash machines. So the average person who uses cash is going to be reasonably familiar with the size and design of a £20 note. They're more likely to notice if there's something a bit odd about it. But most people won't ever see a £50 note. Cash machines don't dispense them, and you won't get them in change. You'd need to go some effort to get hold of one (e.g. visit a bank). If someone offered one in payment, you would be reluctant to accept it as you're not familiar with the size/design/security features. Plus £50 is a big loss if it turns out the note is fake.
PhoenixRose338
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymusy)
I remember seeing three in an envelope that my mum had years ago. Never seen one since.
.Mark
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Name:  0AEB40F1-77C9-4F1C-A180-0EA642D9D872.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  356.4 KBThey’re definitely rare! but I like to keep one just for a keepsake.
username5655466
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I have seen quite a few £50 notes, but yeah not as much.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
£70 notes are handled only by the chief lizards at the Bank of England. If they are seen in sunlight they will immediately burn. There are unconfirmed rumours that a £165 note exists too. :iiam:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads