The Student Room Group

Bournemouth University vs University of Hertfordshire for VFX and 3D Animation

Hello, so I've narrowed down my school options to Bournemouth University (Computer Animation Art & Design) and University of Hertfordshire (3D Animation and Visual Effects).

They both seem to be very good courses, with equally good locations, facilities, and high ranking scores.

Looking at showreels is not very helpful since for both schools some of the projects are very impressive whereas the others are a bit weaker.

So far the one main advantage I was able to find in favor of Herts is that its course seems to focus both on VFX and 3D animation allowing for specialization later on, whereas Bournemouth has entirely separate degrees for both of these fields, which for me is not ideal.

I myself am not very interested in creating Disney or Pixar-like animations, so I'd rather attend the course which focuses more on teaching the software and CG tools rather than storytelling.

I'd love to get some insight from current and former students.
Reply 1
Original post by maralehm
Hello, so I've narrowed down my school options to Bournemouth University (Computer Animation Art & Design) and University of Hertfordshire (3D Animation and Visual Effects).

They both seem to be very good courses, with equally good locations, facilities, and high ranking scores.

Looking at showreels is not very helpful since for both schools some of the projects are very impressive whereas the others are a bit weaker.

So far the one main advantage I was able to find in favor of Herts is that its course seems to focus both on VFX and 3D animation allowing for specialization later on, whereas Bournemouth has entirely separate degrees for both of these fields, which for me is not ideal.

I myself am not very interested in creating Disney or Pixar-like animations, so I'd rather attend the course which focuses more on teaching the software and CG tools rather than storytelling.

I'd love to get some insight from current and former students.

Hey I’m in the EXACT same position as you, same offers and same opinions (altho I think Hertfordshire has much better quality showreels in general but it’s surrounding area isnt very interesting) - pleaseee let me know which one you decided and if you like it there (I need to reply to my offers by June 8th :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest