HE: Access To Medicine - Lambeth 2021

Watch
London38
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi all - to maximise my changes of acceptance to medicine (40 year old student here, career change with a 2:2 UG and MSc (merit) - I've decided to take this course in replacement of A-levels. Basically, I'm trying to cover myself to get a place within graduate entry entry medicine or the traditional five-year undergraduate route. I don't have years to figure this out but I do wonder if being a mature student may help me in the selection process (life experience, more maturity, etc).

I have now been accepted to Lambeth starting this September which I'm clearly very please about but I am not sure if I am wasting my time... do I 'really' need to do this course having two degrees? My GSCE's were a long time ago (do universities ask to see these because I've no idea where they are). I know St George's accept a masters for their five-year route and they don't score A-levels or GCSE's. I also worry this is a highly competitive university but my ideal place as I live in Brixton.

Graduate entry is my desired route but having sat GAMSAT twice now, I'm scraping the science section (perhaps this course will help). Those of you who've done the course, how did you find it? When you enrolled did you have to give all certificates including GSCE's?

I plan on working at the same time (NHS support working) - is this possible? I'm good at time management with university work.

Finally, did you find UCAT particularly hard... any advice in general?

Thank you.
Last edited by London38; 3 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by London38)
Hi all - to maximise my changes of acceptance to medicine (40 year old student here, career change with a 2:2 UG and MSc (merit) - I've decided to take this course in replacement of A-levels. Basically, I'm trying to cover myself to get a place within graduate entry entry medicine or the traditional five-year undergraduate route. I don't have years to figure this out but I do wonder if being a mature student may help me in the selection process (life experience, more maturity, etc).

I have now been accepted to Lambeth starting this September which I'm clearly very please about but I am not sure if I am wasting my time... do I 'really' need to do this course having two degrees? My GSCE's were a long time ago (do universities ask to see these because I've no idea where they are). I know St George's accept a masters for their five-year route and they don't score A-levels or GCSE's. I also worry this is a highly competitive university but my ideal place as I live in Brixton.

Graduate entry is my desired route but having sat GAMSAT twice now, I'm scraping the science section (perhaps this course will help). Those of you who've done the course, how did you find it? When you enrolled did you have to give all certificates including GSCE's?

I plan on working at the same time (NHS support working) - is this possible? I'm good at time management with university work.

Finally, did you find UCAT particularly hard... any advice in general?

Thank you.
Access to Medicine course threads are now located in this forum (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=185)

Feel free to look through all the threads and discuss with other people in your position.

Note that Access Courses are not universally accepted and it may be easier to re-do A-Levels and GCSEs - just a point to consider.
Hehdbie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi London38, I wanted to ask how have you enrolled already in Lambeth College , as I havent received anything in return singce submitting my application. Can you please explain how you've been accepted , because I am beginning to worry. Thank You
Hehdbie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hehdbie)
Hi London38, I wanted to ask how have you enrolled already in Lambeth College , as I havent received anything in return singce submitting my application. Can you please explain how you've been accepted , because I am beginning to worry. Thank You
London38
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Hehdbie)
Hey buddy! Well... they lost my first application which wasn't particularly encouraging! I had to apply again which was a pain but the interview was swiftly offered (which was in the form of a phone conversation on my qualifications, current job (healthcare)) and where I was expecting to go after finishing the course. She then offered me a place outright and to wait for the email which confirms the place and to wait for enrolment. I have now confirmed this!

Have you heard anything? One thing I would say, I didn't particularly like the way in which she kept saying "medicine is SO competitive, be prepared..." - you know s**t and that wasn't particularly helpful to her selling this course to me.

Like I said, they lost my first application so maybe email admissions and ask? All the best and do let me know if you're accepted - be good to know people.

Clyne.
h0llyl0u
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I will be starting medicine in September (providing I can clear an occupational health issue 🙄) after sitting an access to HE diploma and only have 4 GCSEs. Not similar to your case, but also not a typical applicant either!

The access course stood me in good ground to apply to widening participation groups, which is how I was guaranteed an interview two years in a row with Bristol, who also offered a lot of support on interview prep.

I would probably say that you need the access course if you’re scraping by on science section of the GAMSAT (as that is recapped at the start of 1st year med), as well as giving you a step up at being offered other chances.

Like ecolier said, they aren’t universally accepted (I had to do a lot of phoning/emailing to see who did/didn’t accept them), but it’s just about applying to those who do take them. I disagree that re-doing GCSEs and A-levels may be easier - it would likely be a longer, more expensive route and some universities don’t accept any resits, so may not accept you on those grounds (no matter how long ago they were).

I wouldn’t have an offer to study medicine without taking the access course, so I’m grateful some universities do accept applicants with a non-traditional background into degrees which are harder to get into typically.

Edited to add:
Even if you wanted to have a go applying now, you could easily still study the access course alongside it. If you got an offer, you wouldn’t need to finish the course, but if you don’t, then you can carry on and reapply next year. Either way, you wouldn’t be wasting time.
Last edited by h0llyl0u; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.49%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.97%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.02%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.15%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.34%

Watched Threads