The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

BAcc accountancy with languages glasgow

Hi I start studying at university of glasgow for accountancy with languages in September. I haven’t done accounting before but I am good at maths, just wondering people’s advice before starting uni to prepare and what they think of the course! Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I start studying at university of glasgow for accountancy with languages in September. I haven’t done accounting before but I am good at maths, just wondering people’s advice before starting uni to prepare and what they think of the course! Thanks

I haven't studied at Glasgow, but I have done an accounting degree.

If you have done A Level Maths, it's already too much for accounting. The level of maths you would need shouldn't exceed the high end of GCSE. We're usually talking basic arithmetic, basic logarithms (if financial and economic maths are involved), knowing the areas of shapes, hypothesis testing (if you chose a quantiative method module), and use of spreadsheets (mostly basic in my opinion).

My experience of languages is that it can stretch across the board. Language modules can start from begineers to a little above A Level, but the languages are split into module modules than what you would expect should have learned from scratch to a little above A Level standard. They tend to be easy going and don't require you to perform as intensively as you would at A Level.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
I haven't studied at Glasgow, but I have done an accounting degree.

If you have done A Level Maths, it's already too much for accounting. The level of maths you would need shouldn't exceed the high end of GCSE. We're usually talking basic arithmetic, basic logarithms (if financial and economic maths are involved), knowing the areas of shapes, hypothesis testing (if you chose a quantiative method module), and use of spreadsheets (mostly basic in my opinion).

My experience of languages is that it can stretch across the board. Language modules can start from begineers to a little above A Level, but the languages are split into module modules than what you would expect should have learned from scratch to a little above A Level standard. They tend to be easy going and don't require you to perform as intensively as you would at A Level.

Thank you this is helpful, I have done advanced higher maths and found it fine and done higher french. Is there any accounting subjects you think I should have a look over before I go ? Thanks
Thank you this is helpful, I have done advanced higher maths and found it fine and done higher french. Is there any accounting subjects you think I should have a look over before I go ? Thanks

Unfortunately, I only did A Levels prior to the degree, but if the highers are strictly equivalent to Level 3 in terms of qualification, you should be fine if you're competent at Level 2.
The main accounting subjects you would be looking into are financial accounting, management accounting, auditing, tax, finance, economics for business, and quantitative methods. Depending on whether you will be going into financial or management accounting, you will only be doing some of these subjects (the others are left as options).
I don't have a recommendation for financial accounting books, but Eliott and Eliott tend to be the best choice (even though I don't like it).
For management accounting, you can't go wrong with books by Colin Drury
Auditing and tax - I don't have a recommendation, since they are subjects I avoid like the plague
Finance - you will get a myriad of books on this. A number of them will be dry. I recommend a book by Watson and Head that looks into corporate finance.
Economics for business - basic economics, and the go to book for economics tend to be those by Mankiw. Get a first year book, ideally one called Principles of Macroeconomics.
Quantitiative methods - mostly AS Level stats, including decision maths. My go to would be a book by Swift and Piff, but they are essentially going into AS Level stuff in a lot more detail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending