The Student Room Group

probability quick question

if there are 15 beads in a bag, and 'three beads are selected at random from the bag and replaced', does this mean after each bead is picked it is replaced or after all three have been picked they're replaced? Hope that made sense? x
Reply 1
Original post by Qxi.xli
if there are 15 beads in a bag, and 'three beads are selected at random from the bag and replaced', does this mean after each bead is picked it is replaced or after all three have been picked they're replaced? Hope that made sense? x

Can you please post the full question? That may help with understanding what it means.
Original post by Notnek
Can you please post the full question? That may help with understanding what it means.

There are 15 coloured beads in a bag; seven beads are red, three are blue and five are green. Three beads are selected at random from the bag and replaced. Find the probability that

a the first and second beads chosen are red and the third bead is blue or green,

b one red, one blue and one green bead are chosen.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Qxi.xli
There are 15 coloured beads in a bag; seven beads are red, three are blue and five are green. Three beads are selected at random from the bag and replaced. Find the probability that

a the first and second beads chosen are red and the third bead is blue or green,

Your first post said "not replaced" and this one just says "replaced". Can you confirm which one is what you're seeing?
Original post by Notnek
Your first post said "not replaced" and this one just says "replaced". Can you confirm which one is what you're seeing?

'replaced' sorry!
That’s not a very well written question! If that’s the whole thing, it probably means that the beads were replaced after each selection, or else there’d be no point in mentioning that they were replaced.
Reply 6
Original post by Qxi.xli
'replaced' sorry!

I agree with the above poster : it's badly written but you can assume that it's replaced each time otherwise they wouldn't say it.
Original post by Notnek
I agree with the above poster : it's badly written but you can assume that it's replaced each time otherwise they wouldn't say it.

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
That’s not a very well written question! If that’s the whole thing, it probably means that the beads were replaced after each selection, or else there’d be no point in mentioning that they were replaced.

ok thank youu x
Original post by Qxi.xli

Original post by Qxi.xli

I think they included the "replaced" part for section (b) or you might assume section (b)'s information is dependent on section A.

a:

(7 / 15) * (6/14) * (8/13) = 8 / 65

b:
Since all the beads were replaced, we can assume that everything is back to normal: 15 coloured beads now, 7 red, 3 blue 5 green

7 / 15 * 2 / 14 * 5 / 13 = 1 / 39
Reply 9
Original post by jennanotion
I think they included the "replaced" part for section (b) or you might assume section (b)'s information is dependent on section A.

a:

(7 / 15) * (6/14) * (8/13) = 8 / 65

b:
Since all the beads were replaced, we can assume that everything is back to normal: 15 coloured beads now, 7 red, 3 blue 5 green

7 / 15 * 2 / 14 * 5 / 13 = 1 / 39

This is a possibility but I think it's more likely that they mean replaced each time. It's a poorly worded question.
Original post by Qxi.xli

The version in the solution bank says "NOT replaced", which makes me think there's a typo in the version you're looking at.

And their subsequent solution implies "not replaced".

Untitled.jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
The version in the solution bank says "NOT replaced", which makes me think there's a typo in the version you're looking at.

And their subsequent solution implies "not replaced".

Untitled.jpg

Thank you for checking! There must be a mistake in my textbook then..

Quick Reply

Latest