roachynski
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I failed my GCSE Maths and had to resit it. I managed to improve my grade and got a 5. Unfortunately, I think I lost the certificate proving that I passed the resit.
My questions are:
1. Do I need to mention that it's a resit at UCAS?
2. Do I need to provide my initial grade?
3. How can I get a replacement certificate? Is it as easy as just contacting my school or do I need to do something more?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb or anything, I just need genuine advice
Last edited by roachynski; 1 month ago
AlicanK01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm pretty sure you provide the best grade you achieved, and to get a replacement certificate I think you contact the exam board that you did the maths exam with.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by roachynski)
3. How can I get a replacement certificate? Is it as easy as just contacting my school or do I need to do something more?
1. Yes. You must declare ALL your qualifications on your UCAS application, even if you retook them. If you don't, UCAS consider it fraud, and can cancel your application.
2. Yes - see above.
3. Contact the Exam Board directly - your school can give you then contact details.

Btw, you do not need your exam certificates to just 'apply' through UCAS - you list your results (all of them) and the Universities access the Exam Board data later in the year to double check. You may need the certificates when you enrol at the University but that is over a year away.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by roachynski)
I failed my GCSE Maths and had to resit it. I managed to improve my grade and got a 5. Unfortunately, I think I lost the certificate proving that I passed the resit.
My questions are:

Sorry if these questions seem dumb or anything, I just need genuine advice
You have to show ALL results pass or fail on your UCAS application otherwise a university can withdraw any offer it makes. It isnt likely to affect you anyway as all universities require is a pass and your highest grade. They ignore your other results.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
as all universities require is a pass .....They ignore your other results.
Utter nonsense.

Many courses/subjects have a very specific GCSE Maths requirement.
And most Universities assess your overall GCSE profile as part of their scoring process.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Utter nonsense.

Many courses/subjects have a very specific GCSE Maths requirement.
And most Universities assess your overall GCSE profile as part of their scoring process.
Most courses in most universities have a Maths requirement at grade 4. Here are just a few examples
Geography at Lancaster GCSE Mathematics grade C or 4, English Language grade C or 4

History at Cardiff You must have or be working towards:
- English language or Welsh language at GCSE grade C/4 or an equivalent
They dont even mention GCSE Maths

English at Exeter GCSE C or 4 English Language.
They dont even mention GCSE Maths

Criminology at Manchester Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade C or 4 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics.

Sociology at Southampton Applicants must hold GCSE English language (or GCSE English) (minimum grade 4/C) and mathematics (minimum grade 4/C)

As can be seen from a examples in 5 separate universities and subjects most universities and courses do not require above grade 4 (a pass) in Mathematics. I know of someone who had 5 offers a few years ago without grade 4 in Maths and was accepted to Kings for History.

It will be different for subjects with a Mathematical content such as Economics, Computer Science or Psychology but for most courses in practically all universities grade 4 Maths surfices whether a resit or not.

Your comment is all the more odd considering you previously stated the university you previously worked at did not even insist on somebody having GCSEs at all.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
1) but for most courses in practically all universities grade 4 Maths surfices whether a resit or not.

2) university you previously worked at did not even insist on somebody having GCSEs at all.
1) Your original comment - "all Universities require is a pass" - suggests that a grade C will do for any course at any Uni.
2) For Law at Bristol, there is no specific GCSEs requirement. That is not the same as 'having no GCSEs'.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
1) Your original comment - "all Universities require is a pass" - suggests that a grade C will do for any course at any Uni.
2) For Law at Bristol, there is no sp
ecific GCSEs requirement. That is not the same as 'having no GCSEs'.
For the vast majority of universities it is true and some dont even require Maths at grade 4. There are a couple of exceptions but well in excess of 9/10 of universities that is true. For a small minority of Maths based courses at a small amount of universities a 5 or 6 will be required but that is a very small amount of courses.

Some further examples

Politics at Bath
GCSE requirements
GCSE English Language or Literature grade 4 or C (or equivalent from English language category C)
No maths requirement

Law at Liverpool
Subject requirements
GCSE English and Maths grade C/4

Economics at Aberystwyth
GCSE requirements (minimum grade C/4):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads