NatDePat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, so I was supposed to make this post ages ago but I guess it's better late than never! I'm having some trouble with choosing between my firm choice (Cov) and my insurance choice (De Montfort). You see, I have this turmoil going on between which of these universities will be better for my career prospects aswell as my mental health. I know that they are roughly on equal grounds, both are ex-polies and both have a below average reputation however I need to pin point which one would be most likely to make employers not want to turn me down (in disgust 🥲) or will not severely impact my mental health whilst I am studying there. Any and all input that you can give will be greatly appreciated regardless if it is personal experience or word of mouth from a friend! Below I will present what I have found in terms of pros and cons for both universities myself. Hopefully this may add to the discussion.

Coventry University
Pros:
•Overall uni score on CompUniGuide is 54th as of 2021.
•I can stay at home and not have to move out.
•The Accounting and Finance degree is a Bsc.
•I can learn my driving lessons while I study there.
•Apparently the university has better quality facilities.
•My course has an established sandwich year.
•People on the course are likely to have higher/similar grades to me. Might be easier to make friends with.
•On the Gaurdian University Rankings of 2021 the course was ranked 42nd.
•For Gaurdian University Rankings of 2021 the course had a 79% employment rate after 15 months.
•For Gaurdian University Rankings of 2021 the course had a course satisfaction, teaching satisfaction and feedback satisfaction of 90.3%, 89.2% and 74.9% respectively.

Cons:
•High crime rates compared to Leicester.
•Accounting and Finance course on CompUniGuide ranked 57th as of 2021.
•Subject graduate prospects are lower on CompUniGuide, 47th.
•Subject research quality is lower on CompUniGuide, 56th.
•Subject research intensity is lower on CompUniGuide, 81st.
•The time to travel between my home and the uni is 40 minutes by bus.
•Dropout rate for the course is higher on Whatuni, 15%.
•That one opinion of the course by Maxim Korvatskyy on Quora.

De Montfort University
Pros:
•Low crimes rates compared to Coventry.
•Accounting and Finance course on CompUniGuide ranked 41st as of 2021.
•Subject graduate prospects are higher on CompUniGuide, 8th.
•Subject research quality is higher on CompUniGuide, 39th.
•Subject research intensity is higher on CompUniGuide, 48th.
•Time to travel between dorm and uni is 16 minutes by walk.
•Dropout rate for the course is lower on Whatuni, 6%.

Cons:
•That one bad review of the course by kasher93 on TSR in the mid 2010’s.
•Overall uni score on CompUniGuide is 81st as of 2021.
•I’ll have to move out and live in the dorms.
•The Accounting and Finance degree is a BA.
•My course placement year is seen as optional, not really as solidly established.
•People on the course are likely to have lower grades, might be a little off putting.
•For the Gaurdian University Rankings of 2021 the course was ranked 82nd.
For the Guardian University Rankings of 2021 the employment rates after 15 months was 66%.
•For the Gaurdian University Rankings of 2021 the course had a course satisfaction, teaching satisfaction and feedback satisfaction of 86.7%, 81.9% and 73.7% respectively.
Last edited by NatDePat; 3 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by NatDePat)
Coventry University
De Montfort University
You are over thinking this - and thinking about the wrong stuff.
Ignore Ranking and League Tables - they are total bunkum. They all come up with different results - which give you an indication that they are not a reliable way to judge any University. What you need to think about is - where will I feel most comfortable, where will I be happiest? Because this will mean you enjoy being at Uni - and that means you will enjoy your degree.

If you have had MH wobbles, then the option of being at home if Uni accommodation doesnt work out for you, is a good one.
That sense of security will be a big plus for how confident/comfortable you feel.
Sandwich years / placements add heaps to your CV and your employer appeal.
That's two good reasons for you choosing Coventry over DMU.
(Btw, BA/BSc makes no difference - for a finance degree its just an individual Uni thing, one is not see as better than the other).

Have a look at the Campus Tour films on YouTube and think about the reality of being at each place.
If you can, go and have a look at each Uni - you can just walk about the campus and no-one will ask you for id etc.
Which Uni feels right for you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed