Reply 40
Original post by Rozh11
Hi do you guy think I have a chance?
I score 26/27,
Achieved Alevels A*A*A*A
Gcses- 887776665
2590 B1- I think I need to resit as I had tech issues on the day

Thanks

Cardiff have rejected multiple people wiht full academic score in the last few years, so unless contextual, I think you would be unlikely to interview.
Reply 41
Original post by ENR123
Hi everyone hope you're well just introducing myself as a current third year medical student going into 4th year after summer! Will be watching this thread more carefully and happy to answer as many questions as possible!

Hi, do you have any indication about the role of UCAT in Cardiff’s selection? Full 27/27 points, achieved A*A*A*A*A. Tennis athlete and 2 month hospital shadowing, prefect etcetc UCAT 2320 but tech problems and annotation. Trying for approval to reschedule…still pending. What everyone is saying is that although they deny it, there is no evidence that the choose canditates with lower UCAT and high academics.
Reply 42
Original post by LidaH
Hi, do you have any indication about the role of UCAT in Cardiff’s selection? Full 27/27 points, achieved A*A*A*A*A. Tennis athlete and 2 month hospital shadowing, prefect etcetc UCAT 2320 but tech problems and annotation. Trying for approval to reschedule…still pending. What everyone is saying is that although they deny it, there is no evidence that the choose canditates with lower UCAT and high academics.

They did admit to me that they used UCAT as a tiebreaker to decide between people tied after academics and PS scoring last year, but could not tell me what score was needed, as it would cause people's heads to swivel round and demons to be released if they ever disclosed it. I am paraphrasing there, but that was pretty much the gist of it!
Reply 43
Hello everyone! I would like to seek advice from you all,
I am an international student who is currently studying Physiotherapy in the UK.
I am graduating next year and I would like to study medicine ( standard entry) in 2022, my UCAT is 2490 and SJ Band 3.
Do I have an interview chance if I apply to Cardiff University?
Many thanks!
Reply 44
Original post by GG700
Hello everyone! I would like to seek advice from you all,
I am an international student who is currently studying Physiotherapy in the UK.
I am graduating next year and I would like to study medicine ( standard entry) in 2022, my UCAT is 2490 and SJ Band 3.
Do I have an interview chance if I apply to Cardiff University?
Many thanks!

As I have said elsewhere, what does your reseaarch tell you? You have not given enough information for us to know if you are even eligible, as Cardiff require A levels from grads, too plus they need GAMSAT - have you done this?
Hi 👋I score 23/27 for GCSEs and have achieved A-Level grades of A*A*A.My UCAT was pretty poor (2440 Band 1) However I've read that they don't look at ucat unless in a borderline case and they mainly look at personal statement and academics. Would Cardiff be a good option for me?
Original post by US123456
Hi 👋I score 23/27 for GCSEs and have achieved A-Level grades of A*A*A.My UCAT was pretty poor (2440 Band 1) However I've read that they don't look at ucat unless in a borderline case and they mainly look at personal statement and academics. Would Cardiff be a good option for me?

Cardiff have rejected people with 27/27 for the past few years so probably not the best option unfortunately. If you post your stats on the which med school thread then the experts can help you :smile: Good luck with your application though!!
Hi, I’m a welsh student living in Wales looking to apply to Cardiff as my UCAT score is quite low (2320 to be precise).

I have 10 A* and 2 A’s at GCSE. I am predicated A*AA by the end of year 13.

What is the likelihood of me getting an offer?
Hi, I would like to apply to Cardiff however I'm not sure if ill get an interview call?
My UCAT score was 2390
My predicted grades are A*A*A
And my GCSE's were all 9's (so i received the maximum points for the scoring)
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by nicolev18
Hi, I’m a welsh student living in Wales looking to apply to Cardiff as my UCAT score is quite low (2320 to be precise).

I have 10 A* and 2 A’s at GCSE. I am predicated A*AA by the end of year 13.

What is the likelihood of me getting an offer?

Your chance of getting an offer depends on your interview performance.
Whether you get an interview depends on what your As are in and whether you are considered contextual (most Welsh state schools are, i understand).
Cardiff have rejected many people with full academic marks in the last few years, using PS and then UCAT as a tiebreaker. Make sure your PS is tailored to their requirements, if you decide to apply, but your UCAT may still be a bit low, if you make it through to that stage.
Original post by mdolphin
Hi, I would like to apply to Cardiff however I'm not sure if ill get an interview call?
My UCAT score was 2390
My predicted grades are A*A*A
And my GCSE's were all 9's (so i received the maximum points for the scoring)
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

See above :smile:
Hi,

Does anyone know how Cardiff assess the personal statement? I score 27/27 on their points and I've seen that they say the personal statement should include 'insight into a career in medicine, evidence of experience and reflection in a caring environment, evidence and reflection of personal responsibility, evidence of a balanced approach to life, evidence of self-directed learning'. If I include these things am I likely to get an interview? Even if I've not done amazing things like I've seen in example personal statements, eg. having a really unique reason to study medicine, being grade 8 in piano, playing in the school orchestra and ending world hunger pretty much haha
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lucytuffnell
Hi,

Does anyone know how Cardiff assess the personal statement? I score 27/27 on their points and I've seen that they say the personal statement should include 'insight into a career in medicine, evidence of experience and reflection in a caring environment, evidence and reflection of personal responsibility, evidence of a balanced approach to life, evidence of self-directed learning'. If I include these things am I likely to get an interview? Even if I've not done amazing things like I've seen in example personal statements, eg. having a really unique reason to study medicine, being grade 8 in piano, playing in the school orchestra and ending world hunger pretty much haha

I'm sure @GANFYD will give a much fuller answer, but a good place to start is looking at the assessment forms that Cardiff released in 2014 under FOI: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_statistics_14#incoming-536098. I'm helping my daughter structure her PS to the Cardiff format as she didn't get an interview last year and Cardiff is her first choice (her big sister just graduated from there).
Reply 52
Original post by lucytuffnell
Hi,

Well everyone else is already going to have ended world hunger whilst playing a Prokofiev piano concerto, so that is so 2020! :lol:
Cardiff PS marking is just binary, apparently, so you just need to demonstrate and evidence the things they ask for, and extra marks are not given for doing it whilst tightrope-walking, playing the flute!
Hi, was wondering what you thought about my chances of getting an interview at Cardiff this year? My stats gcses would get me 26/27, predicted A*A*A and A/A* epq (not sure yet haven't had fully clarity), ucat 2670 sjt b2 and my personal statement is pretty strong and unique (not in a bad way!). I'm an english applicant and may be on the border of a contextual application- I.e not guaranteed because not 100% sure about exactly where I fall into that category... just awaiting some info. Thank you!
Reply 54
Original post by Somerset12Floral
Hi, was wondering what you thought about my chances of getting an interview at Cardiff this year? My stats gcses would get me 26/27, predicted A*A*A and A/A* epq (not sure yet haven't had fully clarity), ucat 2670 sjt b2 and my personal statement is pretty strong and unique (not in a bad way!). I'm an english applicant and may be on the border of a contextual application- I.e not guaranteed because not 100% sure about exactly where I fall into that category... just awaiting some info. Thank you!

Non-contextual applicants have required full academic marks for at least the last couple of years, and many with full marks have been rejected, with Cardiff using PS and UCAT as a tiebreaker. So it depends whether you are considered contextual or not :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Non-contextual applicants have required full academic marks for at least the last couple of years, and many with full marks have been rejected, with Cardiff using PS and UCAT as a tiebreaker. So it depends whether you are considered contextual or not :smile:

Ah ok, thank you!
Original post by Bonsaman
I'm sure @GANFYD will give a much fuller answer, but a good place to start is looking at the assessment forms that Cardiff released in 2014 under FOI: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_statistics_14#incoming-536098. I'm helping my daughter structure her PS to the Cardiff format as she didn't get an interview last year and Cardiff is her first choice (her big sister just graduated from there).

Thank you!
Original post by GANFYD
Well everyone else is already going to have ended world hunger whilst playing a Prokofiev piano concerto, so that is so 2020! :lol:
Cardiff PS marking is just binary, apparently, so you just need to demonstrate and evidence the things they ask for, and extra marks are not given for doing it whilst tightrope-walking, playing the flute!

Hahaha thank you so much!
Hi, does anyone have any idea about how places are there for international students for this course?
Reply 59
Hi everyone I'm sorry for my absence I've been settling into 4th year on placement but I am back! I would like to clarify some inaccurate information which has been shared:
= firstly please note previous years scores have ZERO impact on the score for the next cycle. There is no way of telling what this cycles score will be until the medical school have received and scored all of the applications.
= yes there has been instances where students with full 27 points have been rejected in competitive situations however this does not mean if you don't have 27 points you should not apply
= UCAT is not weighed heavily and usually used in tiebreaker situations
= please do follow the guidance they share for what they are looking for in a personal statement,

For international students I encourage you to email [email protected] to check what your respective qualifications are and to anyone else with other questions, although this forum is a good platform to discuss I would always encourage you to get official responses from the medical school too they have a fantastic admissions team happy to help

Quick Reply

Latest