ENR123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MadyanC1)
I have: 9999998887 (27/27) and then A*A*A (8/9)
For UCAT I have 2730 band 3
That should give me a good chance of an interview and competitive application right? (I've made sure to put what they like to see in my PS too).
Also I got an A* in EPQ, will that count towards anything (bear in mind I've already applied to Cardiff I just need the reassurement )
You should be in a good position but just have to wait and see! epq does not usually count but congratulations anyway on your result
ENR123
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surfio)
i have found this:
The personal statement should include insight into a career in medicine, evidence of experience and reflection in a caring environment, evidence and reflection of personal responsibility, evidence of a balanced approach to life, and evidence of self-directed learning.
These are the key elements! did you have any questions about aspects?
m_bibi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Anyone know if cardiff allow lower grades entry.. like do they have a gateway year programme / will they allow an AAB?
Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
dr100
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
does cardiff accept band 4? and do they give most places to welsh people?
midnightskies0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dr100)
does cardiff accept band 4? and do they give most places to welsh people?
I haven't seen anything on their website to suggest they don't accept band 4 but may be worth ringing them to find out!

I have heard on here that Welsh state school applicants get contextual points due to the shortage of doctors in Wales but again double check this! I don't believe this means they give more places to Welsh people but if you want to be sure then try ringing them unless anyone else knows? When I emailed them asking for the details they said they didn't give me a very clear answer.
minulipremadasa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I am a gap year student applying for the 2nd time. How likely am I to get an interview?

GCSE : 4 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s, 6

A levels (Achieved) :

Biology - A*
Chemistry - A*
Maths- A*
Further maths- A

UCAT Score :

VR - 610
DM - 660
QR - 740
AR - 800
Total - 2810 SJT - Band 2

Work experience :
-1 week haematology placement
-2 years volunteering with children with disabilities
-telephone befriender
-chemo ward volunteer
-charity shop volunteer

Nothing contextual.

Thanks in advance!!!
iSatNav
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ENR123)
In essence please do take the information on here with a pinch of salt unless it has come from people from Cardiff uni such as myself I am a 4th year medical student and would hate to think that inaccurate messages on here put you off from applying! Cardiff is a fantastic course if I don't say so myself please do go to the upcoming open day as well!
Thanks for this msg. Cardiff is one of my choices! I think I might have missed the open day or is it coming up in Oct?
gg2020
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi
I'm applying with achieved A levels of A*AA in biology, chemistry and psychology. I got 9888877777 in my GCSE's and 2620 B2 (655 average) in my UCAT. I know normally my GCSE's would be nowhere near good enough for Cardiff however with achieved A levels I scored myself with 30 points which is above the maximum cut off of 27 points. How likely am I to get an interview for Cardiff? Do my lower GCSE's put me at a disadvantage?
MorningCat
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Med 2022 entry my stats
GCSES
English Language-8
English Literature-8
Maths-9
Biology-9
Chemistry-9
Physics-9
Economics-9
spanish-9
Computer Science-9
Geography-9

A-Levels - prediction
Maths-c at A*
Biology-A at A*
Chemistry -A at A*

UCAT--2800 VR-700 DM-730 QR-740 AR-630
SJT-Band 2

I have done work experience at a hospital, pharmacy , London ambulance ,EPQ etc.

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by MorningCat; 2 weeks ago
midnightskies0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MorningCat)
Med 2022 entry my stats
GCSES
English Language-9
English Literature-8
Maths-9
Biology-9
Chemistry-9
Physics-9
Economics-9
spanish-9

A-Levels - prediction
Maths-c at A*
Biology-A at A*
Chemistry -A at A*

UCAT--2800 VR-700 DM-730 QR-740 AR-630
SJT-Band 2

I have done work experience at a hospital, pharmacy , London ambulance ,EPQ etc.

Thanks for the advice.
Cardiff score 9 GCSEs:
9, 8, A* = 3 points
7, A = 2 points
6, B = 1 point

Source: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...medicine-mbbch

The highest you can score is 27 but I believe they had more people with 27/27 than interviews last year so used personal statement and UCAT to shortlist. It looks as though you only have 8 GCSEs so I'm not sure whether you would lose 3 points or if they would scale them up so maybe ask them about this.
m4zza
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ENR123)
No 24 is a good score i would still consider!
i feel like you need to chill out a sec; med admissions 4 years ago is nothing like it is today and yeah maybe ppl may have gotten in with 24 back then but they certainly didn't last year as non-contextual applicants. this is so misleading and what are you going to say when they get rejected pre-interview? "c'est la vie??????" girl this is our FUTURE at stake, come off it
A_J_B
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by m4zza)
i feel like you need to chill out a sec; med admissions 4 years ago is nothing like it is today and yeah maybe ppl may have gotten in with 24 back then but they certainly didn't last year as non-contextual applicants. this is so misleading and what are you going to say when they get rejected pre-interview? "c'est la vie??????" girl this is our FUTURE at stake, come off it
PRSOM
arjunak123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kylie18)
Just had an email from Cardiff uni saying I didn’t meet the interview requirements, so I am rejected from medicine, but saying I can choose an alternative offer for another course 🥺
I am planning to apply this year to Cardiff, I have 5 9s and 5 8s , ucat 2580 band 2 . Do you think I have any chance of getting an interview. What were your scores last so that I get an idea. Thanks.
Valley016
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello! My Stats are
Achieved A Levels: A* A* A (plus a fourth A sat in year 11)
GCSE: 9999887 (only 7 because school didn’t accommodate for more)
UCAT: 2600, Band 2. Is it worth applying? Any help would be appreciated!
midnightskies0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by m4zza)
well said!! especially since pretty much our whole cohort has inflated GCSEs due to CAGs.....
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by arjunak123)
I am planning to apply this year to Cardiff, I have 5 9s and 5 8s , ucat 2580 band 2 . Do you think I have any chance of getting an interview. What were your scores last so that I get an idea. Thanks.
This thread is for 2021 entry, so would reccomend posting in the 2022 entry thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7035436
You have the GCSEs for Cardiff, but they use UCAT and PS as tiebreakers, so depends how much you like it and your level of risk.
musab_101
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, alot of people saying that we need to tailor our personal statement to Cardiff. Where are their requirements? can someone send me the link? i cant seem to find it.
ENR123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by m4zza)
I appreciate your words but I really want to enforce a sense of worth! it's important that candidates dont put themselves down If they don't have the 27/27 points. They are still capable as a whole to do medicine! Yes of course grades do have a greater emphasis at Cardiff but in my opinion alone (not the medical school) scores at 24 is a competitive score! I may have applied 4 years ago but I've been up to date with admissions since, it does not say on the website you must have 27 points
ENR123
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by musab_101)
Hi, alot of people saying that we need to tailor our personal statement to Cardiff. Where are their requirements? can someone send me the link? i cant seem to find it.
On the admissions policy is says personal statement should include insight into a career in medicine, evidence of experience, and reflection in a caring environment evidence and reflection of personal responsibility, evidence of balanced approach to life and evidence of self directed learning
musab_101
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hey thanks for the reply, is it possible if you could read my ps and see if it is ok? also do I have a chance for an interview? my gcses are 998887776, ACHIEVED a levels of A*AA and a ucat of 2470 band 1. I score 27/27 so will I have a good chance if my ps is good?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.64%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
26.42%
I'm a bit unsure (62)
17.61%
I'm finding things difficult (119)
33.81%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.52%

Watched Threads