The Student Room Group

My sister missed year 11

We were stuck abroad because of the COVID situation and she has missed the whole of year 11. The rest of my siblings have been adjusted to their new schools, however I am the most concerned about her, seeing as she has missed her GCSEs. I have applied for her through the borough, but no response yet. Are iGCSE's an option? Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm very worried for her.

This situation was completely out of our control. Even worse with COVID and our dwindling finances. We are a big family. And plane tickets being cancelled left, right and centre. Still yet to receive refunds..
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mastwaari
We were stuck abroad because of the COVID situation and she has missed the whole of year 11. The rest of my siblings have been adjusted to their new schools, however I am the most concerned about her, seeing as she has missed her GCSEs. I have applied for her through the borough, but no response yet. Are iGCSE's an option? Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm very worried for her.

This situation was completely out of our control. Even worse with COVID and our dwindling finances. We are a big family. And plane tickets being cancelled left, right and centre. Still yet to receive refunds..

Firstly, what are her aspirations for the future?

Second, what is her current educational status? Her siblings you say are enrolled in new schools, is she enrolled anywhere currently?
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Firstly, what are her aspirations for the future?

Second, what is her current educational status? Her siblings you say are enrolled in new schools, is she enrolled anywhere currently?

She wants to study A Level in the future. Ideally in sixth form and then either apprenticeship/university, depending on what she decides when the time comes. Her old school has took her school place. My other siblings have been enrolled to new schools however we still have not received a response for her.
You can do iGCSEs and sixth forms should accept them the same. My school did a mixture of GCSEs and iGCSEs and students from my school tend to go to good unis if you are worried about her chances of getting into unis with iGCSEs as opposed to just GCSEs.
Reply 4
Original post by ScoutLeopard
You can do iGCSEs and sixth forms should accept them the same. My school did a mixture of GCSEs and iGCSEs and students from my school tend to go to good unis if you are worried about her chances of getting into unis with iGCSEs as opposed to just GCSEs.

Are there special colleges or schools for iGCSE's? And would you know the difference between the two?
Reply 5
Are there special colleges or schools for iGCSE's? And would you know the difference between the two?

Why do you think she should be doing IGCSEs? They aren't widely taught in the UK - after all they're developed for the International market, that's what the I stands for - and it would be a lot easier to take GCSEs in most subjects
She wants to study A Level in the future. Ideally in sixth form and then either apprenticeship/university, depending on what she decides when the time comes. Her old school has took her school place. My other siblings have been enrolled to new schools however we still have not received a response for her.
Sorry for slow reply, I am a little confused by the sentence in bold. Does this mean the school has taken (ie removed) her old place at the school and replaced her with somebody else? Or does it mean the school has agreed to take her, and give her a place at the school?

In my view, if she wants to take A Levels in the future then the next academic year (2021/22) should be taking GCSEs in... English, Maths, Science, any subjects she intends to take next year. Any more than that is too much in one year in my personal view.
Reply 7
Technically she didn’t miss gcses as there were none
Original post by Ten-Ten
Technically she didn’t miss gcses as there were none

If you want to talk technicalities then GCSE qualifications were awarded to pupils in the summer of 2020 and will be awarded to pupils this summer too.
You seem to be confusing a change to the assessment mechanisms of the qualifications, rather than the existence of them. The class of 2020 have their certificates, the qualifications exist. :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
If you want to talk technicalities then GCSE qualifications were awarded to pupils in the summer of 2020 and will be awarded to pupils this summer too.
You seem to be confusing a change to the assessment mechanisms of the qualifications, rather than the existence of them. The class of 2020 have their certificates, the qualifications exist. :wink:

Number 1 did not mention class of 2020 at all, that’s all you. Secondly I was talking in the literal sense not about the qualification. Something called making a joke I don’t know if you know what that is🤷🏾*♀️
Original post by Ten-Ten
Number 1 did not mention class of 2020 at all, that’s all you. Secondly I was talking in the literal sense not about the qualification.

The literal sense is the qualification - that is the primary definition of "GCSEs". You were referring to examinations, the OP was referring to qualifications. OP's sister has not received qualifications, that is the issue here. Not the experience of taking exams.
Original post by Ten-Ten
Then you reply to OP as last time I checked I wasn’t speaking to you so take your issues elsewhere

I last replied to OP 1 hour ago and am awaiting a response. :smile:
Have a nice day :hat2:
Original post by 04MR17
I last replied to OP 1 hour ago and am awaiting a response. :smile:
Have a nice day :hat2:

Ah so while you wait you reply to people who didn’t ask for a reply. Outstanding

Have a nice day too

There are some differences, but I couldn't tell you exactly what. Personally, my school did a mixture of the GCSEs and iGCSEs. I will warn you now though, iGCSEs are a lot harder to find resources for (at least where I live and online) as they are international and aren't taken as much.
Reply 14
Original post by 04MR17
Sorry for slow reply, I am a little confused by the sentence in bold. Does this mean the school has taken (ie removed) her old place at the school and replaced her with somebody else? Or does it mean the school has agreed to take her, and give her a place at the school?

In my view, if she wants to take A Levels in the future then the next academic year (2021/22) should be taking GCSEs in... English, Maths, Science, any subjects she intends to take next year. Any more than that is too much in one year in my personal view.

Yes! Sorry for my poor writing. Just really worried for her. They have took her school place and replaced her with someone else. Currently, she is 9 on the waiting list, which is ridiculous. The school aren't that understanding compared to my other sister's school who have let her repeat Year 13. They refused to listen and told me to reapply through the borough. My understanding of the situation so far is that she may have to take a year out and get the qualifications for the core subjects plus any other subjects she would like to take on in the future. But my question is, would she have to do this through homeschooling? I would be honest here, my sister benefits more from face to face teaching, I worry that due to the nature of her age that she may lack discipline. Teenagers, what have you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Compost
Why do you think she should be doing IGCSEs? They aren't widely taught in the UK - after all they're developed for the International market, that's what the I stands for - and it would be a lot easier to take GCSEs in most subjects

I don't know man. Like I said, I haven't the faintest clue on what to do. Just speaking my mind here, which is why I'm on tsr asking you guys. 😅
I don't know man. Like I said, I haven't the faintest clue on what to do. Just speaking my mind here, which is why I'm on tsr asking you guys. 😅

GCSEs are qualifications for England so they would be a better option unless there is a specific reason why IGCSE makes more sense.

The most likely solution is that she goes to college to take GCSE Maths and English and some other Level 2 qualifications before starting Level 3 qualifications (BTEC nationals, A levels etc) a year later. The trouble is that this tends to be the route for less academic students who failed to get decent GCSEs in Year 11 and the courses taken may prevent her doing A levels. If she's fairly academic she might be better off if you can persuade a school to let her go into Year 11 and take GCSEs as normal, but this may be hard. If college is the only option then it might be worth her self studying for some GCSEs and taking them privately in Summer 2022.

Does she have any idea what she wants to do long term?
Yes! Sorry for my poor writing. Just really worried for her. They have took her school place and replaced her with someone else. Currently, she is 9 on the waiting list, which is ridiculous. The school aren't that understanding compared to my other sister's school who have let her repeat Year 13. They refused to listen and told me to reapply through the borough. My understanding of the situation so far is that she may have to take a year out and get the qualifications for the core subjects plus any other subjects she would like to take on in the future. But my question is, would she have to do this through homeschooling? I would be honest here, my sister benefits more from face to face teaching, I worry that due to the nature of her age that she may lack discipline. Teenagers, what have you.
9th in the queue is not ideal. I would plan as though a school place there is not going to happen and completely agree with Compost's advice above.

Quick Reply

Latest