TinySheep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, I'm likely going to be doing Fine Art at Edinburgh which is a significant distance from where I live (8 hours by train, 2 hours by plane), and as well as all the usual planning for how much to bring to university I was wondering how much art stuff I should be bringing for the first year? I largely work with pencils, charcoal and oils but I know the first year will make me experiment alot.

As well as this, I know a lot of art students are musicians too. What do people advise for this as I want to bring at least one bass guitar and something to play it on.

Thank you for your help!
DS76
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TinySheep)
Hi all, I'm likely going to be doing Fine Art at Edinburgh which is a significant distance from where I live (8 hours by train, 2 hours by plane), and as well as all the usual planning for how much to bring to university I was wondering how much art stuff I should be bringing for the first year? I largely work with pencils, charcoal and oils but I know the first year will make me experiment alot.

As well as this, I know a lot of art students are musicians too. What do people advise for this as I want to bring at least one bass guitar and something to play it on.

Thank you for your help!
Hi there,

I went through the whole journey of uni and graduated in 2018 in Illustration.

In my first year, I took all of my art supplies from home to uni/ halls of res and ended the year of only using 15% of my equipment. Your course should provide materials for you to use. I wouldn't take bulky items like canvases but at least 2-3 sketch books. My advice would be to take the art supplies you most enjoy using, don't take all of your stuff like me. You may want to go home someday and its good to still have your supplies around.

I had one flatmate who was a music student, the guy had 4 guitars..one electric one bass and I think the other two were acoustic. Personally I would just bring 1 guitar you don't need too much stuff

Hope this helps
Good luck (:
Last edited by DS76; 1 month ago
moscos
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TinySheep)

Thank you for your help!
Hii I'm also going to Edinburgh this year for art and I had the same concern. From what I have gathered I think taking sketchbooks, some basic materials like pencils and fine liners as well as some paints is a good idea. I saw that the university has its own art store so that could also be helpful and some more heavy stuff could be bought there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (69)
22.85%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
44.37%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.25%
I'm really nervous (62)
20.53%

Watched Threads